As If The Ugly Tesla Truck Was Not Enough - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
Tesla truck

Needs gull wing doors.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21. 2016 Kia Sorento EX+ V6
Send a message via Skype™ to travdes
It's definitely butt ugly, but I still reserved one because nothing comes close spec wise at that price point. I way prefer the Rivian trucks but I'd rather not spend 100k. It'll be a good 3-4 years before we see them in production and I'm hoping by then there will be better options, and if not, then butt ugly truck it is
travdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by travdes View Post
It's definitely butt ugly, but I still reserved one because nothing comes close spec wise at that price point. I way prefer the Rivian trucks but I'd rather not spend 100k. It'll be a good 3-4 years before we see them in production and I'm hoping by then there will be better options, and if not, then butt ugly truck it is
By the time the Tesla truck is actually produced, the price will be much higher than the current fantasy promise, and the shape may have changed. Fortunately, everything can change and making the reservation now still works, because the actual purchase decision can wait for when there is real information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #24

Exactly, I fully expect it'll be smaller, have mirrors, and be slightly less 'boxy'. The Model 3/X were pretty much identical from the prototype, but the Model S changed quite a bit.

I don't expect the specs to change much as they've always been pretty accurate if not understated. But I just wanted to reserve my place in line for BC if I choose to go that route. Normally BC is about a year after they start production as they start on the West coast of the US first. So I have plenty of time to see what else is out there. I'm hopeful with Ford's investment in Rivian and using the platform for their future pickups they will have something a little more reasonable price wise. Might be wishful thinking.

Tesla already announced their 'cheap' version is now produced last instead of first as announced at the unveiling. Much like the Model 3, the lowest model wasn't offered for a few years after release which pissed off quite a few people. I suspect it'll be the same for the CyberTruck, which is fine as I reserved the dual motor. I don't think the price is that far off, they won't need to paint the truck or stamp the metal which I'd imagine should save quite a bit of dough on the machines alone. Either way, with Elon, you kinda of have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. The specs at the unveiling have always been pretty accurate, its the tweets that go out later which tend to be 50/50.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:28 AM   #25

Quote:
The Model 3/X were pretty much identical from the prototype, but the Model S changed quite a bit.
But even the prototype Model S wasn't a silly body shape.

Quote:
Tesla already announced their 'cheap' version is now produced last. Much like the Model 3, the lowest model wasn't offered for a few years after release which pissed off quite a few people.
They never did sell the promised cheap Model 3. They eventually sold a variant with the promised price, but only with a hobbled battery, not the expected capacity, to ensure that almost no one would actually chose it. I don't think that there was ever any intention to sell the Model 3 for US$35K, because it would not be financially feasible, and I'm sure there is no genuine intention to sell a truck for the clickbait price.

Quote:
I don't think the price is that far off, they won't need to paint the truck or stamp the metal which I'd imagine should save quite a bit of dough on the machines alone. Either way, with Elon, you kinda of have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
DeLorean made the unpainted stainless mistake, which anyone familiar with brushed stainless steel finishes could have told them was a serious blunder.

As for stamping... no, the Tesla truck is not made of plain flat sheets. Every panel is formed (even if only with folded edges, but they look like far more forming than that), and so will cost just as much to form as conventionally shaped panels (which are simply stamped). Foers makes a vehicle using Land Rover Defender mechanicals (called the Ibex) with simple flat panels which were supposed to be inexpensive to replace... but according to online discussions, they are still expensive. It's almost like after a century of development the automotive industry knows how to make body panels...

Quote:
Either way, with Elon, you kinda of have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.
I'd say a shaker worth of salt.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got money to spend, but I have no desire to spend it on anything currently offered.
What I should do is splurge and have my 2008 RAV4 detailed.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've got money to spend, but I have no desire to spend it on anything currently offered.
What I should do is splurge and have my 2008 RAV4 detailed.
I'm fortunate enough to get a car allowance with work, and we spend a ridiculous amount in gas every year which is why we're looking to go electric with our next purchase. As long as I keep the price sub 75k we'll end up saving about 300 a month then we currently do with our Sorento + Gas.

I also have big concerns with what range will be like when towing, I know the Model X basically cuts in half, it could get annoying charging every 150-200k .
Old 12-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #28

I no longer have a company car, so I save gas by staying home, not going to the mall.
This Xmas present thing has got to stop. I've got more new digital devices than I have neurons to understand the instructions.

I think I now have enough socks.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
.... Exactly, I fully expect it'll be smaller, have mirrors, ...
Mirrors are so - yesterday. The industry seems infatuated with adding more and more cameras, including rear-view cameras to replace those unsightly bumps sticking out from each side of the vehicle. It will be interesting to see how/where they position rear-viewing cameras to allow viewing around an 8' wide trailer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #30

Trailer: Looking
Now we know where the designer(s) of the Aztek went after GM closed Pontiac!

That is an ugly combination!
danmc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
.... so I save gas by staying home, not going to the mall.
Whats a 'mall' ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We must all remember that style is a very personal preference, one persons ugly is another's beauty. As of December they have 250,000 preorders for the Tesla Pickup. Interstingly, the highest number of orders are for the most expensive and mid versions so these will be produced first. If you look back at Elon Musks companies' histories there have been countless naysayers; his electric cars outsell all others combined in North America. He is one year away from launching the first spacecraft to venture outside of Earth's orbit since the 60's. His boring company is launching right now. He is building new gigafactories in China and Germany and expanding in the USA, never underestimate this individual; like him or hate him, he is a true visionary!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
They never did sell the promised cheap Model 3. They eventually sold a variant with the promised price, but only with a hobbled battery, not the expected capacity, to ensure that almost no one would actually chose it. I don't think that there was ever any intention to sell the Model 3 for US$35K, because it would not be financially feasible, and I'm sure there is no genuine intention to sell a truck for the clickbait price.
Incorrect.

The Model 3 as announced would be starting at US$35,000 and have 215 miles range. In the US you can walk into a Tesla store and order a Model 3 SR (Standard Range) for $35,000 and it has 220 miles of range. 5 more miles range than promised and at the price that was promised. This model became available in February 2019, got a $400 price bump in May 2019 then dropped the price back to $35,000 in August (note, in the second article they are a bit confusing, quoting the price as $36,200 which includes the $35,000 car and $1,200 destination charge, it's clear if you read the whole thing carefully).

Why must you purchase it in store? Well Tesla would prefer that you don't purchase this vehicle. They already can't manufacture cars fast enough to meet demand and every extra configuration they have to manufacture simply slows down production. It makes sense that they want to sell their most profitable versions. By having to buy in store, they have a chance to educate you how much better a value the US$39,900 SR+ version is. That version is available to order online and for $4,900 more you get Autopilot, 250 miles range (+13%), heated seats, improved sound system and more (can't remember all the differences anymore). However, if you insist, they will sell you one. If, for instance, I had a Model X as my primary (road-tripping) vehicle and wanted an in-town run about car, I'd order the Model 3 SR (that's the role played currently by our Gen 1 Volt and rarely do we use up it's 50 km electric range), but I wouldn't want such a short-range EV as my primary/only vehicle.

In Canada, they did come out with a hobbled version of the car for less money. Call it the Trudeau Special as it was in response to the Federal EV rebate program. The SR was available for CDN$47,000. Then the Feds came out with their rebate program, but to qualify an EV which had 6 or fewer seats had to be available for $45,000. In response to this fairly suspicious move, Tesla responded by introducing a Canadian only version for $44,999 (note, that's only US$34,700!!!) with 150 km range. Yes, the Trudeau Special does get a decreased range (or "hobbled battery"), but this was in response to the EV incentives. As a result of this $44,999 version, the SR+ model which starts at CDN$55,990 also qualifies for the $5,000 federal incentive. Ah, gamesmanship! Again, to get the 150 km range version (often called SR- online, but not officially), you must order in store so they can convince you to get the SR+ instead.

So, in short, yes, you can get a US$35K version of the Model 3, with greater range than originally promised (not a "hobbled battery") and in Canada you can get one with a "hobbled battery" for even less. They're not online though, you must order in store.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
So, in short, yes, you can get a US$35K version of the Model 3, with greater range than originally promised (not a "hobbled battery") and in Canada you can get one with a "hobbled battery" for even less. They're not online though, you must order in store.
Excellent info, and an excellent illustration that Tesla never had any desire or intention to actually sell any of these. Every one sold must be seen as a failure within the company.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
We must all remember that style is a very personal preference, one persons ugly is another's beauty. As of December they have 250,000 preorders for the Tesla Pickup.
If Ford or GM offered exactly this truck, they would get few if any reservations. Many of the same people making deposits would probably put a deposit on a Edsel pickup if Elon Musk showed it onstage.

Those "preorders" are fully refundable deposits to hold a place in line, with no specific vehicle or price, and no commitment by either the potential buyer or the manufacturer. Many holders will never buy the vehicle, because the one they want at the price they want will never appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Interstingly, the highest number of orders are for the most expensive and mid versions so these will be produced first.
The reason for producing the more expensive version first has nothing to do with what was pre-ordered; they will simply build the most profitable available versions first, as they have with other models, like any other manufacturer. It may take some time for the most capable versions to make it into production, so the three-motor variant won't be first, but as soon as they can produce that it will be essentially all they will build as long as there are buyers for it.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Excellent info, and an excellent illustration that Tesla never had any desire or intention to actually sell any of these. Every one sold must be seen as a failure within the company.
Let me introduce you to Tesla's mission statement:
Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Now, I'll let you in on their Secret Master Plan, Part 1; August 2006. A good video review is here if you prefer.

For those who care to learn, they've executed on Part One and are now on Part Deux.

If they had to, they'd happily sell the $35K version, it was their intent. However, if you cannot fulfill the market demand with your more profitable trims, even while increasing sales 300% every 2 years, why wouldn't you do that and reinvest those profits in say building a factory in China (started delivering cars there from that factory today) and Europe (started clearing the forest just outside Berlin this week) so you can get more cars built and fulfill your mission faster?

Sorry I've veered off topic (and yes, those concept trailers are ugly), but these FUD claims cannot be left uncountered.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #37

"(started clearing the forest just outside Berlin this week)"
Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #38

Quote:
"(started clearing the forest just outside Berlin this week)"
Good catch!
I got called away from my desk and hit SUBMIT REPLY before re-reading my whole post. Anyway, there's an article here that's more correct than my above posting for anyone interested in learning more about the Gigafactory 4 in Germany. Technically it's nearest Brandenburg, but Berlin is the nearest major city and it's being built on a tree plantation, not a forest.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #39

Keep in mind there are great efforts to plant trees to capture carbon.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Keep in mind there are great efforts to plant trees to capture carbon.
Which is of course why Tesla has promised to reforest an area 3x as large elsewhere in the region.