Audience while backing up - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 1,993
Audience while backing up

This would be me now. Hopefully not next month after my driving and backing up lessons with the trailer.

__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk & Spike (the cat)
RIP Lucy, 7AM 2/28/17
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
This would be me now. Hopefully not next month after my driving and backing up lessons with the trailer.

Laura I have only had to put up with that at home trying to get trailer in . Pat
The best one was when I first brought trailer home and a seal went on the transmission . Dumped , in the pouring rain , transmission fluid and one of my daughters just had this look on her face Oh S... just got the whole trans rebuilt . I have to push trailer up a hill , turn into driveway without hitting gate and walls , push it up driveway on a incline . It is better now . Practice makes it easier . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 521
A trick someone told me once was place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whatever way your hand goes the trailer goes. Of course I'm used to backing up boats and utility trailers so I'm looking back over my shoulder with hand on the top of the wheel. So I'm used to the opposite. If you are using mirrors and/or a back up camera the bottom of the steering wheel tip might be a good one to remember.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
A trick someone told me once was place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whatever way your hand goes the trailer goes. Of course I'm used to backing up boats and utility trailers so I'm looking back over my shoulder with hand on the top of the wheel. So I'm used to the opposite. If you are using mirrors and/or a back up camera the bottom of the steering wheel tip might be a good one to remember.
Thankyou Rubicon . A neighbor tells me the same thing . Basically I watch and backup slowly ,watching from driver's side , looking in that mirror. Linda is watching behind me . I have the backup camera but for this job don't seem to use it . After I get trailer in driveway , I usually have to pull forward to straighten everything out . I use the concrete cut in driveway as a line to line up with . It might take a few times but it eventually works . Of course when we get home ,get the Subaru out of the driveway . It is getting a little better . The truck and trailer is 39 ft . The length of the street width is 40 ft . My neighbor across the street from me will make sure nothing is parked in front when I let him know when I am coming home . I tried to use the scoop method but maybe because I am on a hill it doesn't seem to work . Then I have to go around the block and start over . Wish I could get lesson's , I am sure for my situation there are some tricks that would help . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nanaimo Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
A trick someone told me once was place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whatever way your hand goes the trailer goes. Of course I'm used to backing up boats and utility trailers so I'm looking back over my shoulder with hand on the top of the wheel. So I'm used to the opposite. If you are using mirrors and/or a back up camera the bottom of the steering wheel tip might be a good one to remember.
Hands at the bottom of the steering wheel seems to work for many people. But if you do a lot backing up with a trailer and want to get really good and fast at it put your hand at the top of the wheel. Once you get use to it, it really improves your skill level.
__________________
Like a lot of fellows, I have a furniture problem. My chest has fallen into my drawers
"Billy Casper"
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Once you get use to it, it really improves your skill level.
How does it do that?
I think, in your case, it's how you learned, it's what you've always done and you have years of practice.
I have to start learning from scratch every spring on the first trip. Bottom of the wheel, palm facing up, works for me because it is simple and direct. Move the hand left and the trailer moves left. I don't have to think, if I move my hand this way, my tow vehicle will move that way, and the trailer will move this way.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Hands at the bottom of the steering wheel seems to work for many people. But if you do a lot backing up with a trailer and want to get really good and fast at it put your hand at the top of the wheel. Once you get use to it, it really improves your skill level.
I a willing to try all method's . I think I learned to go slow and turn wheel one way and if trailer moves the wrong way , I turn it the other . I think my hand is at the bottom Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 5/23/17 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How does it do that?
I think, in your case, it's how you learned, it's what you've always done and you have years of practice.
I have to start learning from scratch every spring on the first trip. Bottom of the wheel, palm facing up, works for me because it is simple and direct. Move the hand left and the trailer moves left. I don't have to think, if I move my hand this way, my tow vehicle will move that way, and the trailer will move this way.
You're just hangin' that bait out for Bennett -- I'm gonna start my countdown.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
You're just hangin' that bait out for Bennett -- I'm gonna start my countdown.
Me too. Me too.
Actually, he has an Android device, so it may take a while.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 1,623
I look straight ahead at the mirrors, use my innate God given ability and back up till I hear glass. Then I declare, " Honey we're home." I have a great boat trailer story but too long to tell here. 75 Johnson, Electric Choke.
Dave
__________________

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.