Bierocks and grits.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 04:34 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bierocks and grits....

We had some homemade bierocks for dinner last night, mixture of cabbage, ground beef, corn, onion and cheese, wrapped in some pizza dough. Otherwise known as a German meat turnover. We also got some snow yesterday, first of the season.
This morning I got up early and made some southern style grits, it is 12 degrees outside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0960.jpg   IMG_0963.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The homemade bierocks look really good! The grits, not so much. I've never been able to acquire a taste for grits. Glad you're enjoying them, however.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
-18 with w/chill -26..I make what we call Krautgouka.Trouble is my Spitfire gets to hot.Recipe for those interested.Hamburger [lean],onions,little garlic,cabbage.Cook the mixture until meat browns & cabbage wilts.Cut p/dough into 8"squares,place mix in the middle.Fold in the corners,lightly crimping seams,bake til light brown.enjoy
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The homemade bierocks look really good! The grits, not so much. I've never been able to acquire a taste for grits. Glad you're enjoying them, however.
Donna D - Having grown up in Colorado, I never had much use for grits, either, until I moved to Alabama. Now I eat them all the time. Just try melting in a little cheddar cheese for breakfast or toss in some grilled shrimp for lunch or dinner. Just talking about it is making me hungry. I think I'll go cook up some more grits...

P.S. - I've also learned that okra is pretty good stuff, too - in moderation....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grits

Our Quaker Oats factory in Cedar Rapids used to make grits here. They also made puffed wheat and their advertising slogan was " the cereal shot from guns" I don't know how they did what they did to make it but I do remember hearing the "explosions" that puffed the wheat up before boxing.
There is an Escape owner who makes the best grits I've ever eaten. The campers and the grits were at the pot luck breakfast at Osoyoos the last two years. Gritty, tasty, zippy, and with a beautiful light yellow color. Don't miss them even if it's only a spoonful.
I don't care for fresh okra at all but a federal meat inspector I worked with used to bring a quart of pickled okra onto the kill floor when we'd have a little on the kill luncheon. Pork pancreatic gland, pork temples, ham just out of the smoker and some home grown tomatoes,and a couple of okra florets, served on brown paper towels. An army doesn't march on an empty stomach.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Grew up in the South and love dem grits! Forget instant though. Quaker quick 5-minute are good, but the local cajun joint's are better.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I guess it's a mouth texture thing for me and grits. I don't care for tapioca pudding either for that reason.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I guess it's a mouth texture thing for me and grits. I don't care for tapioca pudding either for that reason.
Oh man, I used to love tapioca pudding, ate tons of it as a kid, but haven't had it in many years. Gotta get Lisa to make some. Tapioca pudding, bread pudding and rice pudding were commonly served as a kid. Back then I thought they were great treats, and did not realize that they were made because of how inexpensive they were to make, and there was not a lot of money to spare.

I have never had grits, but will have to give them a try sometime.

As I age, I do have to watch a bit more carefully what I eat, as the pounds seem to come on easier, and are harder to shake.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post

P.S. - I've also learned that okra is pretty good stuff, too - in moderation....
We can't have too much okra , No moderation here. It is good fried, grilled, pickled, smothered or boiled, and makes a great addition to a shrimp and crab seafood gumbo. Can't have too much okra.
Attached Thumbnails
gumbo.jpg  
Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
Can't have too much okra.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We had some homemade bierocks for dinner last night, mixture of cabbage, ground beef, corn, onion and cheese, wrapped in some pizza dough. Otherwise known as a German meat turnover. We also got some snow yesterday, first of the season.
This morning I got up early and made some southern style grits, it is 12 degrees outside.
Love Grits! Specially Chesse Grits. And any 2 pieces of dough with any anything stuffed in the middle. Don't care how its cooked. Boiled, broiled, baked, fried, what ever. Your creation looks delicious! These guys showed up at our house New Year's Eve.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0302.jpg   IMG_0303.jpg  
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #12

Jake,
If you get a chance, take that new 21 up to Acadia NP and stay at the KOA on the island. There is a guy there named Clayton who cooks fresh lobster in sea water, corn on the cobb, and chowder brought to your camper, which sits right on the ocean. What is that saying about something being "priceless"
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
What's a grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I have never had grits, but will have to give them a try sometime.

As I age, I do have to watch a bit more carefully what I eat, as the pounds seem to come on easier, and are harder to shake.

Jim, we like them with salt, black pepper and a dab of butter.

All this talk of grits reminds me of a scene from a very funny movie, "My Cousin Vinnie". Joe Pesci was great as Vinnie Gambini and this scene is about his first encounter with grits.

https://youtu.be/pWC0sKCS5oA
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #14

Grits, the American "poutine" dish.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Grits, the American "poutine" dish.
Not sure there is any dish in par with poutine, but if it's in my bucket list to try grits. I will eat just about anything and like it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 "Pied Beauty"
I'm a retired nurse from Atlanta, and many of my elderly southern patients would mix their grits bacon and scarmbled eggs all together. Yuk! Not very pretty. But I still love me some grits cooked long and slow until they get super creamy. Susan
tom and susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #17

The butter needs to float on the top, some salt/pepper, jalapeño pepper jack cheese shredded on top, warms your innards on a cold day. Bacon optional....
Old 01-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Our Quaker Oats factory in Cedar Rapids used to make grits here. They also made puffed wheat and their advertising slogan was " the cereal shot from guns" I don't know how they did what they did to make it but I do remember hearing the "explosions" that puffed the wheat up before boxing.
There is an Escape owner who makes the best grits I've ever eaten. The campers and the grits were at the pot luck breakfast at Osoyoos the last two years. Gritty, tasty, zippy, and with a beautiful light yellow color. Don't miss them even if it's only a spoonful.
I don't care for fresh okra at all but a federal meat inspector I worked with used to bring a quart of pickled okra onto the kill floor when we'd have a little on the kill luncheon. Pork pancreatic gland, pork temples, ham just out of the smoker and some home grown tomatoes,and a couple of okra florets, served on brown paper towels. An army doesn't march on an empty stomach.
Dave
Puffed Wheat an Rice are shot out of cannons! So to speak. When i was stationed 2 tours in South Korea in the late 60's early 70's, a guy with a push cart should come around the neighborhoods with a little pressure pot on it. The mothers would send their kids out with a bowel of rice and for a couple of Won the guy would puff it for them. It was like the Ice Cream truck back here, even rung a bell. It was fun to watch them.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Puffing wheat

Thanks for posting that video. I had never really seen that process. Like most factories, you used to be able to tour Quaker Oats, touted as " largest cereal mill in the world" but I never did. Toured the bakery, hot dog factory, and Pepsi bottling plant. A One hour tour wasn't bad, much fun in fact. 6 years on a hog kill floor, not so much fun. We used to wash cars for $1.50 in the gas station and you earned your money. Industrial dust, settled on a dew covered car, baked in the sun and parked under a sappy elm tree. Rub a dub dub.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Anyone interested in variations on grits can check out Italian recipes for polenta 9the creamy style, not the loaf style) - it's the same thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote