Bug love - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,205
Bug love

I am camped at the Blackhawk Corp of Engineering campground near DeSoto, Wisconsin. It's on the Mississippi River and it is a nice campground. However, it has lots of bugs. Normally bugs don't bother me but..


Last night some of them somehow found their way into my trailer. As I was drifting off to sleep I saw a green flash. A few minutes later I saw another one. Sure enough, a firefly had found its way into the trailer. As you know, the green LEDs on our smoke detectors light every few minutes to indicate that the detector is working. This firefly was responding to the LED. Stupid bug, I thought; it's flirting with my smoke detector. To save it further embarrassment I turned over and went to sleep.
__________________

__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,377
Lightning Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I am camped at the Blackhawk Corp of Engineering campground near DeSoto, Wisconsin. It's on the Mississippi River and it is a nice campground. However, it has lots of bugs. Normally bugs don't bother me but..


Last night some of them somehow found their way into my trailer. As I was drifting off to sleep I saw a green flash. A few minutes later I saw another one. Sure enough, a firefly had found its way into the trailer. As you know, the green LEDs on our smoke detectors light every few minutes to indicate that the detector is working. This firefly was responding to the LED. Stupid bug, I thought; it's flirting with my smoke detector. To save it further embarrassment I turned over and went to sleep.
While the firefly might have some kind of slightly different method of attracting a lover than humans are used to observing in their own species, it is effective and without cost to the insect. Contrast that to rejection at the door after an expensive date and an overpriced meaningless movie with exhorbitanty priced snacks that humans exhibit. Then consider the fact that we spend millions on solar powered lights, panels and controllers. While this tiny glyph of neon produces cold light at no cost and might get lucky because of it. Stupid hmmmm, not sure about that. Mills Brothers rock
Iowa Dave
__________________

__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,930
Hey Mike, haven't you switched to digital yet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shirtpock1.jpg (272.5 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hey Mike, haven't you switched to digital yet?

Ha! I drove around a bit this morning and found five Amish buggies parked at a roadside "points of interest" pull-off. The horses had been unhitched and they were tied up, grazing. I didn't see any people. I guess this was a fuel stop.
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Stupid bug, I thought; it's flirting with my smoke detector. To save it further embarrassment I turned over and went to sleep.


Look on the bright side, you had a no cost night light.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Contrast that to rejection at the door after an expensive date and an overpriced meaningless movie with exhorbitanty priced snacks that humans exhibit.
Iowa Dave

I used to try to mitigate the anticipated disappointment by at least choosing a decent movie to watch, if I got the choice. I have a friend whose wife watches every chick flick to hit the theaters, which of course means that so does he, much to the delight of his friends.
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ha! I drove around a bit this morning and found five Amish buggies parked at a roadside "points of interest" pull-off. The horses had been unhitched and they were tied up, grazing. I didn't see any people. I guess this was a fuel stop.
That is definitely a point of interest!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hilola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tehachapi, California
Trailer: none
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ha! I drove around a bit this morning and found five Amish buggies parked at a roadside "points of interest" pull-off. The horses had been unhitched and they were tied up, grazing. I didn't see any people. I guess this was a fuel stop.
Could be Amish Uber:

Amish man puts new spin on ride-sharing with Amish Uber | abc7ny.com
__________________
Greg
Formerly owned a 2007 24' HiLo/ 2003 Tahoe combo. Interested in the 5.0TA
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,892
Cart2Go?
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ordered
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
This firefly was responding to the LED. Stupid bug, I thought; it's flirting with my smoke detector. To save it further embarrassment I turned over and went to sleep.
Who are you to stand in the way of true love? You did the right thing.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,377
Monarchs

Hereís a small ( inch and a quarter ) monarch butterfly caterpillar on a milkweed leaf at my brotherís place this afternoon. The monarchs are having a tough time so getting the milkweeds going in the ditches and on properties is a priority of ours. We toasted this success with a couple IPAís
Iowa Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182C248D-9875-444D-A623-514015091F9F.jpg (246.6 KB, 12 views)
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Hilola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tehachapi, California
Trailer: none
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hereís a small ( inch and a quarter ) monarch butterfly caterpillar on a milkweed leaf at my brotherís place this afternoon. The monarchs are having a tough time so getting the milkweeds going in the ditches and on properties is a priority of ours. We toasted this success with a couple IPAís
Iowa Dave

Good job, thanks for supporting the Monarchs, Dave!
__________________

__________________
Greg
Formerly owned a 2007 24' HiLo/ 2003 Tahoe combo. Interested in the 5.0TA
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×