Camp Chairs - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you're trying chairs, get yourself a cup of coffee and sit down. Don't get up until you finished the coffee or discovered how uncomfortable the chair is.
I did a quick sit in a chair at Canadian Tire. Bought it. At camp I sat in it for 20 minutes and then carted it over to the dumpster.
Has happened to us too.even buying furniture or beds . Once you get them ,what has happened ? Good advice . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Wanting flat rigid arms yet reasonably light and portable, I recently bought an ALPS Mountaineering Leisure Chair on sale at REI. Really well built. So far I really like it. similar to the Strongback chair in design, but I found them to be difficult to unfold, so I returned it.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-leisure-chair
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I was in a local store in Iowa City that sells all kinds of camping gear and other sporting goods.
Iowa Dave
That had to have been Scheels Sporting Goods. I have been in that store and it is quite impressive. A small chain out of Moorhead Minnesota, when we lived there they were a hardware store. That Iowa City store is not at all like their roots.

I have tried to add a dimension to buying a chair. I want it to fit through the outside hatch of my 21 and store under the bed. The bummer is: I have one the fits and is comfortable, I have never been able to find a mate. I carry the hatch dimensions for any chairs I find in the wild.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #64

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Scheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
That had to have been Scheels Sporting Goods. I have been in that store and it is quite impressive. A small chain out of Moorhead Minnesota, when we lived there they were a hardware store. That Iowa City store is not at all like their roots.

I have tried to add a dimension to buying a chair. I want it to fit through the outside hatch of my 21 and store under the bed. The bummer is: I have one the fits and is comfortable, I have never been able to find a mate. I carry the hatch dimensions for any chairs I find in the wild.
Hi Paul
I’m familiar with Scheels and go in there once in a while but rarely buy anything. After I get the Toyota serviced in Iowa City, I go down the street about ten blocks to a store called Fin-and Feather. It’s locally owned and they have some pretty knowledgeable sales people in there. That’s where I saw the chairs. The good local hardware stores and especially the good serviceable products they used to sell are getting fewer and farther between. And locally owned sporting goods places have gone the same way. I stopped in a gun store in Ashland Kansas on our way to pick up the 21. Not a single sporting firearm in there all assault rifles and semi auto pistols. So much for American Black Walnut.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #65

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Good pot luck chair

These are good chairs for camp fires and pot luck dinners with a side tray. They fold neatly with a carrying handle and fit into an E-21 front storage door. They are straight back directors chairs and are seasonal items at Sam's Club. They were in stock last week in one of their Fl. stores.
Eddie
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-dir...p_product_1_1V
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Similar chair, if not identical, was a seasonal item at Costco as well. I have four for home and take two camping. Only had them for one year so can't say how durable they are.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We upgraded two years ago to a set of Cabelas zero gravity chairs with a Bass Pro Shop side table. The chairs are super comfy and having a side table while sitting by the fire was a great addition.

The one complaint I have is that the zero gravity chairs are big and heavy. We were tent campers at the time and were used to loading the back of the truck full of supplies and having everything exposed to the elements (i.e. rain). With the upgrade to the Escape Pod, we would like to keep the amount of supplies in the truck to a minimum and are less than interested in having a wet chair when we arrive. We would hate to get rid of the zero gravy chairs, but something that could fit in the back hatch would be awesome!!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 AM   #68

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
When we first got our camper we got the 0 gravity recliners, can't beat em, they are comfy. But we do not use them any more, to heavy, bulky. hard to carry through the door of the scamp. Picked up some cheap baggie ones till we find what we want. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #69

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
years ago- around 2008- I bought a new Picnic Time (Omnia type) chair with side table. FF through many agility trials and camping trips, and the fabric (heavy cordura) was wearing at arms and back. I googled replacement fabric and couldn't find it so emailed the Picnic Time company to ask. They asked for photos, I sent them, and they are sending me new sides and a new back, no charge. It has a lifetime warranty and they mean it.

Having said that- I'm looking for a new recliner. I use the former chair for things like gatherings, meals, etc, but for sitting in camp reading I like the recliner, and mine is hard to adjust, plus I want a mesh one that dries faster.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Great chairs
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
We have 5 of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07239LY57
they pack up small and are easy to store.

We also carry a few camp tables:

For eating and food prep:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038Q0N96/

often used as a Weber BBQ stand:
https://smile.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor.../dp/B00HKCXVWU

Also a few small tables like this one for eating and drinks
https://smile.amazon.com/Arrowhead-O.../dp/B07W86R8LD
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We just got a Lafuma "Futura" which is their version of a gravity char. its both much lighter, and much sturdier than the bulk of the cheap gravity chairs.. French company, and rather expensive.. they make an XL version too, which is a couple inches longer and wider. either can be had with mesh cloth, or mesh cushions. Liked it so much, we ordered another
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #73

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
John, you don't know the weight do you? does 21 lbs sound right?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
John, you don't know the weight do you? does 21 lbs sound right?
Their ad says 16.8 lbs. It also says the frame is steel. I was hoping that the frame was aluminum and it was lighter. It's pretty much the same weight as my inexpensive zero gravity chair.

I'm hoping someone will come out with a lighter aluminum frame because, while I love my old zero gravity chair. it's getting a bit clunky to use, doesn't adjust easily any more and gets a bit of rust on it when used on salty beach sand.

So when, if ever, an aluminum version is available, I'll get one.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #75

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
We just got a Lafuma "Futura" which is their version of a gravity char. its both much lighter, and much sturdier than the bulk of the cheap gravity chairs.. French company, and rather expensive.. they make an XL version too, which is a couple inches longer and wider. either can be had with mesh cloth, or mesh cushions. Liked it so much, we ordered another
Looking at the folded bulk of that doubtless comfortable lounger, I can see where your 8ft pickup bed with shell makes those possible , not so much for many of us lacking the space to stash even one somewhere in our rig .
Old 10-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #76

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Not a lounger, but our go-to "utility" camp chair currently is the Snow Peak aluminum director-style chair. Very light (about 7 lbs), super strong, they set up in literally seconds, have a carry handle built in and fold flat for storage. They recently went up in price but if you can them on sale, the quality can't be beat.

We've also used the Helinox chair one, great for throwing in a daypack, but find them a bit futzy to set up and put away and too low for easily getting in and out of. They are so light they will blow away if you don't stake 'em down.
Attached Thumbnails
nc-remoteoffice.jpg  
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #77
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
at the other extreme, we've got a pair of an earlier version of this chair,
https://www.rei.com/product/164383/r...amp-boss-chair

also surprisingly comfortable, and small enough to pack in almost anything.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #78

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Looking at the folded bulk of that doubtless comfortable lounger, I can see where your 8ft pickup bed with shell makes those possible , not so much for many of us lacking the space to stash even one somewhere in our rig .
I carried one for years in my Subaru Forester. It's worth it.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #79

Trailer: None
Has anyone tried the Yeti Hondo basecamp or trailhead camp chairs? They look sturdy and comfortable but expensive at 300 and I have never seen one in person.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote