Camp Chairs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: looking
Camp Chairs

We just made the comfortable leap from camping in small tents to an Escape 19. Now we need a couple of good camp chairs. Do you have a favorite?
Delb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you need to put them into the Escape to transport you will want to make sure they fit in the only hatch available. Recommendations should also come with how the people transport them if that is important to you.
And Welcome

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I have a couple Helinox sunsets. Super comfy and easy to take with if you leave for the day. Fold up real tiny and light. Little pricey though.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
i've had a lot of different ones. best collapsable into a bag chair is rei mesh. but my true favorite is this one-- has to go in the car. super comfy and rocks. available in 6 colors. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...rstylrckrmodra
Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Here is mine. Very comfy, and warm in the back when colder.
Transport in the car, as it is too big to fit through the hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
44F6419E-A55E-41E2-AA76-B982FC105B4C.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've found the most comfortable camp chairs are bulky and heavy. Everything else is a compromise. Mine travel on the bed ( rear dinette ) in the 17B.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
That rocker looks fabulous. We've always had the gravity style chairs, great for taking naps outside. But that rocker sure does look intriguing.
Can't wait for other suggestions here, because we're actually in the market for replacements due to our current ones falling apart at the seams.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We carry a Cabela's Moon chair for Deb but it is bulky, gets used when it's cool - cold out, it rides in the bed of the truck unless it's going to rain, then it's in the trailer on the floor. For the most part a pair of Kermits (thanks Jim) works well. They both disassemble and pack to ride in the storage hatch next to the entry door in our 5.0TA. Downside is they take a minute to assemble, less when you get used to them. We use the leg extensions and I have the fat boy chair. These are made for motorcycles, they pack down pretty good.

I have started leaving them assembled if we are just traveling short distances during a trip and it's not going to rain. They fold up like normal folding chairs. With the long bed truck, storage for such is not an issue. They do work great for long trips.

Tried zero gravity chairs, way too bulky and heavy for me to mess with. But they are more comfortable. If I were just heading to the beach for a couple weeks and not moving every few days, I'd consider taking them along.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I'm in the commercial furniture industry and I'm always amazed of how many chair options there are. sometimes very little difference other then who made it. One reason for this though is what might be comfortable to me might not fit you correctly. Most important thing in a commercial chair is depth of the seat so why I always recommend if you are buying a chair to fit lots of different people a seat slide option is a must. Men's height tends to be from the waist up and woman from the waist down. That beings said you really don't want a chair to deep, in a commercial chair ideal depth is if you are sitting in the chair the way you would sit you want your fist to just fit between the front edge of your chair and back of your knee, best ergonomic position for circulation.
We needed better camping chairs about 8 years ago and I searched best camping chair and we ended up with the #2 rated, Eureka that just happened to be on sale at REI I think at the time. We still have them and like them, easy to transport.
I will add though one of our friends got one of those rocker chairs and Patty really liked it when she tried it so Santa Claus is bringing her one for Christmas.

My suggestion is try out some chairs and pick the one most comfortable for you.

Happy and safe holidays to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)

For the past 7+ years we have been sitting in Lafuma Low Elips Camping Armchairs, lower to the ground, great lumbar support, reclining, and quality built. If/when they fall apart we'll purchase them again.

We quickly wipe them and store on our bed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I use a Helinox Chair Zero for back-country canoe tripping. Packs small and is super comfortable, especially when you just want to sit up off the ground while relaxing after a long day of paddling. However, it probably would not stand up well to heavy use, so we use a more conventional folding chair for bringing with us in the Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
We have enjoyed the Strongback chairs. Comfortable with good lumbar support. They will easily fit through the hatch to store under the bed of a 21'. I also take a couple of the little folding campstools for footrests. They also fit through the hatch to go under the bed.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Wood Camping Chair
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Cabela’s Director’s Chair

We like Cabela’s Director’s Chair: https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...3.uts?slotId=2

Very comfortable and the side table is nice for your morning coffee and evening tea. We fit two chairs, the little red campfire, a Coleman white gas stove with extra MSR fuel and propane canisters in the front storage hatch of the 5.0 TA. Scott

29+ bikes are fun when the snow is scarce.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We use something very similar to the Cabela one. Bought them at Costco for under $40 I believe. So far, so good. The side table works well. We had one side table sag a little after several months. Took it back to Costco and they exchanged it with no questions asked and a smile.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
We have enjoyed the Strongback chairs. Comfortable with good lumbar support. They will easily fit through the hatch to store under the bed of a 21'. I also take a couple of the little folding campstools for footrests. They also fit through the hatch to go under the bed.

I will second the Strongback Chairs. The design creates a taut seat and pronounced lumbar support. And they fit nicely under the bed of a 21. We have two for the trailer, two for picnics and grandkid ballgames, and two for our adult daughters:

STRONGBACK Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8W2F56..._SxQeCbRVHF02Q

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Chairs

Hi Ralph
Dealing with camp chairs, a sagging side table is the least of my worries. I’ve blown up more than my share of chairs. When you see me on the way across a campground I’m usually toting a sIumberjack I bought about 10 years ago. Alas, I think they downsized the tubing or made the wall thickness less. I felt bad when somebody else’s chair would give out when I used it so I started bringing my own. Usually I spilled a perfectly good beer, so that’s another requirement if one does not have the side table. Arm pocket for a cold drink.
Rita’s going to the Rose Bowl, are you? I’m staying home with the dog and my fireworks.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Dave, good to hear from you. No Rose Bowl trip for us. We'll be hanging in Ohio. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year. Already putting our plans together for camping in 2019. Tell Rita we say hello. I'll have to look into the Slumberjack.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Remember these things Dave? Wouldn't spill the beer if you dumped the chair, as long as you roll the right way.

Sorry, don't know how to shrink it.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Innovation

I’ve seen those but never thought about getting one. I could weld a little bracket further down to hold my fishing pole up out of the dirt too, for when I’m operating solo.