Campground activity formula - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Campground activity formula

I am currently at the Woodhead Park Campground in Hell's Canyon, Idaho. It's a nice, well-maintained park run by Idaho Power. I'll do a writeup on it later after I've taken a few photos.

I arrived several days ago, and until yesterday the park was quite busy with fat, happy Americans enjoying themselves, more of them as the weekend approached. I expected it to be this way through the July 4 holiday, figuring many people would take Monday off and stay through Tuesday.

But today was quiet. To my surprise it seemed like many people left either yesterday or this morning. There wasn't a lot of activity in the park or on the lake. I couldn't figure it out.

So I drove around the campground loops to check things out. Again I was surprised: the park is still at least half full. Although many people did leave, the remainder were hiding in their air-conditioned RVs because the outside temperatures were in the upper 90s (notice I said I drove around the loops, not walked around). So I derived a formula for campground activity:

T + N = C

with T = temperature, N = campground noise, and C is a constant.
So if it's hot, really hot, then it's quiet. As things cool down, outside activity picks up. I presume the formula works only down to room temperature; you probably need 1/T if it's cold outside.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
[emoji23] supposed to reach 104 there by Friday Mike. That should prove your hypothesis conclusively.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
According to my truck's thermometer it was 102 yesterday a few miles north of me, driving to Hell's Canyon Dam. Woodhead Park has been a bit cooler so far, in the upper 90s. I'm leaving Thursday morning, so maybe I'll be spared the 104 temp.

And hey, after all... it's a dry heat.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too me, the drone of a/c operating is like listening to generators. Too hot makes too much noise. I enjoy cool weather in the fall where the only noise is the occasionally crack of twigs. But not too cool, then you have the constant on/off heaters and water heaters making that whoosh sound when starting up. I had that at Osoyoos, the locals next door were renting and their water heater and furnace would come on all night and the water heater and a/c were on all day.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
camp grounds

Two weeks ago our neighbor in Morro Bay was a big 5th and his gas water heater kept lighting even though we had full hook-ups. The rig was new so I asked a few things about it, including the water heater, he wasn't aware he could be using their electrics instead of his gas. That made it more pleasant to be sitting out side having a glass of wine at 70 degrees.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
According to my truck's thermometer it was 102 yesterday a few miles north of me, driving to Hell's Canyon Dam. Woodhead Park has been a bit cooler so far, in the upper 90s. I'm leaving Thursday morning, so maybe I'll be spared the 104 temp.

And hey, after all... it's a dry heat.
Hi: Mike Lewis... To me "Dry heat" is like "Dry humour"!!! Some folks still find it uncomfortable. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I am currently at the Woodhead Park Campground in Hell's Canyon, Idaho. It's a nice, well-maintained park run by Idaho Power. I'll do a writeup on it later after I've taken a few photos.

We've camped a couple of times at Woodhead and agree. It's a wonderful park and the price is right (Idaho Power can afford it). Since you're in the neighborhood, did you, or are you planning to, camp in McCall?
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Mike Lewis... In my mind T+N= MC2 It's the "Einstein" theory of relatives. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote