Cheap Canadian electricity rates? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Out of 9 kids , 2 having cancer we didn't want their Smart Meter . It was developed by the Military and it is microwave technology.
Any smart meter I've ever seen is RF. Microwaves are technically RF, but at a much higher frequency than is used by a smart meter. As for health risks, it's been estimated that you'd need to stand next to a transmitting smart meter for 375 years to get the same dose of RF radiation as talking on your cell phone for 15 minutes a day for a year.

Seems these urban legends pop up from time to time with any new technology, but in this case, the fears just don't have any science behind them.

http://www.whatissmartgrid.org/smart...t-smart-meters

Much of the 'evidence' cited in any urban legend can be skewed by the point of view, or by trying to assign cause and effect. Reminds me of an old story about a fence and a donkey. There was a guy watching a donkey walk by through a missing board in a fence. He saw the head, then the body, then the tail. After seeing the donkey appear through the gap several times and then disappear, the man exclaimed "Eureka! The head causes the tail!"
Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I presume you watch TV. You do use a computer. You probably have a stove, a microwave, a coffee maker, a dishwasher. How do you avoid the sun in the morning? What are you going to do about gravity? There are 'waves' everywhere.
Respectfully, Glen I am not going to spar with you and defend our decision to not have a Smart Meter . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Pat,
We put a solar lease 7.5kw system on about 7 years ago and went to the time adv plan where expensive is during day when solar is cranking. Haven’t paid much in power bills since, and solar lease is way less than power. Usually power bills lower considerably when on one of the time plans.
The smart meter has changed our cabin electric in the mountains tremendously. It used to have quite a few outages for hours at at time, but the electric co sees the issue before we do and there are very few outages there now and usually only for about 5min.
If you run AC much the local installer recommends a “super cooling”plan with a time plan and a programmable thermostat that saves significant $$ if you follow it.
Greg we aren't having a Smart Meter on the house. As for solar really should purchase then lease . Also a problem with the solar which really haven't gotten a answer to yet, when neighbors installed , not sure if inverter or what, it affects the TV antenna reception for us . Had to move installed antenna on roof . We dumped cable and Sat about 10 years ago and have thousands in our pocket and plenty to watch for free. So that and the fact of being installed on roof is another of set of future problems . Do not have AC but a cooler , fiberglass ,now for 24 years . Was made in Arizona , requires once in awhile new pump or motor or maybe pillow blocks . Very cheap to run , unlike AC . In fact cooler is run in California about 6 mo of the year . Even though we have a lot invested in our trailer we live pretty frugal at home . A microwave at home is confined to maybe a escaping few feet a Smart Meter microwaves travel miles and goes through your walls and travel unchecked pretty far. It wouldn't work if it was not strong and was confined like in a microwave. We grew up without a lot of technology and sometimes it is nice but also some of it is a little too much . I wish we could have a carport to cover our trailer and the solar up there . Companies have that option but the price is too expensive right now . But it couldn't mess with the roof antenna's . Time will tell. Pat
Old 01-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Any smart meter I've ever seen is RF. Microwaves are technically RF, but at a much higher frequency than is used by a smart meter. As for health risks, it's been estimated that you'd need to stand next to a transmitting smart meter for 375 years to get the same dose of RF radiation as talking on your cell phone for 15 minutes a day for a year.

Seems these urban legends pop up from time to time with any new technology, but in this case, the fears just don't have any science behind them.

Myths vs. Facts: The Truth about Smart Meters

Much of the 'evidence' cited in any urban legend can be skewed by the point of view, or by trying to assign cause and effect. Reminds me of an old story about a fence and a donkey. There was a guy watching a donkey walk by through a missing board in a fence. He saw the head, then the body, then the tail. After seeing the donkey appear through the gap several times and then disappear, the man exclaimed "Eureka! The head causes the tail!"
Robert we did our research when they wanted to install this technology .there was lots of tests and information out there . Some counties backed out of letting them use this technology. Basically it is for "their time of use "agenda . As for cell phones we don't have Smart phones either and the phones we do have are used only for phone use , rarely used. There is more information about cell phone use recently and your health . Sometimes I am too much on this I-pad and Linda gives me flack about it . But when we have truly been out boondocking and none of this stuff works , it really is nice just hiking , reading , playing games . Pat
Old 01-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, they'll just charge you at the highest rate.
No, without the equipment (a "Smart Meter" or whatever you want to call it), the utility will not put the customer on a time-of-use plan and will bill according to a more traditional plan which does not vary rates by time of day or day of the week. The normal rate in a traditional plan is unlikely to be the same as the top rate in a time-of-use plan.
Southern California Edison: Residential Rate Plans
In this utilities plans, only customers using a very high amount of energy pay an incremental rate as high as the peak time-of-use customer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote