Cheap Canadian electricity rates? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Cheap Canadian electricity rates?

my Canadian friends,

I'm looking at a Canadian electric bill that has a 2nd tier of $1.825 CAD per GJ
if a GJ is = 277.77 kw/h
then it looks like per kw/h is billed at $0.0065 CAD per Kw/hr ??

is this really true??
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Canadian Power Rates

Here are residential rates for BC and Alberta. As you can see they have different ways of billing but in both cases the rates are well in excess of $0.0065 CAD per Kw/hr

BC Hydro (British Columbia)
Under the Residential Conservation Rate, customers pay 8.58 cents per kWh for the first 1,350 kWh they use over an average two-month billing period. Above that amount, customers pay 12.87 cents per kWh for the balance of the electricity used during the billing period.

Direct Energy (Calgary)E1Residential
Fixed ($/Day) 0.352
Cost of Energy ($/kWh) 0.04086
Old 01-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
my Canadian friends,

I'm looking at a Canadian electric bill that has a 2nd tier of $1.825 CAD per GJ
if a GJ is = 277.77 kw/h
then it looks like per kw/h is billed at $0.0065 CAD per Kw/hr ??

is this really true??
Hi: LJY... Nothing cheep cheep about rates in Ontario. We were given a reduction in the interim but our grand children will have to pay the piper.We have a time of use billing. Highest rates when we need A/C in summer and lights in winter.
I'm going to invest in a candle making company!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: LJY... Nothing cheep cheep about rates in Ontario. We were given a reduction in the interim but our grand children will have to pay the piper.We have a time of use billing. Highest rates when we need A/C in summer and lights in winter.
I'm going to invest in a candle making company!!! Alf
Soon they are going to switch us to time of use too. Maybe set the clock to get up at 2am to make some toast ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
thanks Hugh and EA... looks like I was given a natural gas bill rate by mistake.. but the electricity rate is still much cheaper than mine. We start at around 20 cents per kw/h 1st tier.. then goes up quickly.

the electric bill I see now has high rates 8.456 cents per kw/h. and after currency exchange rate.. it is probably on par with lowest rates in America.

Hugh, that Direct Energy rate per day has no limit on how many kw/h ? I started doing c r y p to mining so am interested where rates are cheap
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
thanks Hugh and EA... looks like I was given a natural gas bill rate by mistake.. but the electricity rate is still much cheaper than mine. We start at around 20 cents per kw/h 1st tier.. then goes up quickly.

the electric bill I see now has high rates 8.456 cents per kw/h. and after currency exchange rate.. it is probably on par with lowest rates in America.

Hugh, that Direct Energy rate per day has no limit on how many kw/h ? I started doing c r y p to mining so am interested where rates are cheap
Hi: LJY... Even with our lower rates we have switched to a gas range, a gas BBQ, a gas dryer, a gas fireplace, a gas water heater, and a high eff. gas furnace!!! Does that tell you anything? Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When the contracts with the hydro plants on the locks on the St Lawrence River were in force, we had great rates; unfortunately, they ran out.

Still not bad compared to the rest of NY - Our average consumer rate is 11.74¢/kWh, while the entire state is 17.62¢/kWh. Of course we have to put up with 3 nuke plants 9 miles from town...
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

Canada Electric rates

Quote:

I don't know if Direct Energy has a usage amount where a different rate kicks in. Just looked at my last Direct Energy bill, $123.16 for 820 kW-hr. about 15 cents/ kW-hr. Keep in mind nearly all the power in BC is hydroelectric, nearly all the power in Alberta is gas or coal fired.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The price of electricity varies substantially by area - due largely to different cost of generation - with distinct steps across provincial boundaries because generation and distribution of electricity is provincially regulated.

Most residential customers in Canada pay the same rate regardless of the time of day and day of the week, but peak/off-peak billing is becoming more common... most notably in Ontario, which has had significant issues in recent years regarding power policies and costs. Ontario is more sensitive to power cost for residential consumers than Alberta (for instance) due to a high dependence on electricity for residential heating.

Quote:
... looks like I was given a natural gas bill rate by mistake.
That makes sense: per unit of energy, natural gas is going to be cheaper than electricity almost anywhere, and although GJ and kWh are both energy units (and GJ is a more fundamental energy unit), electrical energy is normally priced per kilowatt-hour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Just looked at my last Direct Energy bill, $123.16 for 820 kW-hr. about 15 cents/ kW-hr.
Since power bills normally include a fixed monthly component, the total cost divided by the consumption is not the incremental rate... so if you used one more kWh it would not cost another 15 cents.

On my most recent bill (from a different utility, in the Edmonton area), the cost of energy was 4.703 ¢/kWh or 3.732 ¢/kWh (depending on the date) and the cost of delivery (covers the transmission and distribution systems) for the month averaged to 13.6 ¢/kWh... but some of that is not dependent on consumption.

For recent history here...
energy rates @ Epcor
Electric rates and terms and conditions of service @ Alberta Utilities Commision (for delivery)
So the current rate is here is roughly 8 to 9 cents per kilowatt-hour, plus some fixed monthly fees, using the regulated rate option. If you want, you can buy electricity from the less-regulated retailers, which might be cheaper (or more expensive), depending on a individual consumption, contract terms, and a fluctuating market.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #11

Power

I get the concept. I didn't say it was the incremental rate. It was what I paid on average per kW-hr including fixed and variable charges for the billing period. That is the important number for my purposes.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The price of electricity varies substantially by area - due largely to different cost of generation - with distinct steps across provincial boundaries because generation and distribution of electricity is provincially regulated.
The difference between Manitoba and Ontario electricity costs is one reason we're glad we left ON. The following is for large power customers but reflects the big difference between North American cities, especially Winnipeg & Montreal compared to New York and Toronto. Manitoba's production is almost completely hydroelectric where Ontario's is mainly nuclear. Our biggest cost is in transmission from the far north of the province to the populated south.

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_15fb.jpeg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Soon they are going to switch us to time of use too. Maybe set the clock to get up at 2am to make some toast ? Pat
Pat,
Go onto So.Calif.Edison's website. You should soon be able to select whether to accept the new time-of-use rate structure, or, like we're going to do, remain on a fixed rate for each tier, regardless of time of day.

https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I get the concept. I didn't say it was the incremental rate. It was what I paid on average per kW-hr including fixed and variable charges for the billing period. That is the important number for my purposes.
Agreed, but for someone wanting to run a business which sucks back so much power that the location is chosen for cheap power, the fixed monthly cost will be irrelevant.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Pat,
Go onto So.Calif.Edison's website. You should soon be able to select whether to accept the new time-of-use rate structure, or, like we're going to do, remain on a fixed rate for each tier, regardless of time of day.

https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
Thankyou Don lots of information to go through . We would rather stay on fixed rate for each tier too. Don did you get a Smart Meter ? We opted out and don't have it . Linda said they wouldn't be able to figure when we are using electricity not having the Smart Meter . Do you know if that would be true ? Pat
Old 01-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Linda said they wouldn't be able to figure when we are using electricity not having the Smart Meter . Do you know if that if that would be true ? Pat
So, they'll just charge you at the highest rate.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, they'll just charge you at the highest rate.
Glen got to figure this all out . It drives them nuts you don't have a Smart Meter already . Out of 9 kids , 2 having cancer we didn't want their Smart Meter . It was developed by the Military and it is microwave technology. Right now they play a game of you getting a low estimated bill , then the next billing does catch up and it 2-3 times higher . It happens to all of us without the Smart Meter . Got to figure what is the best way to go for us . Pat
Old 01-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I presume you watch TV. You do use a computer. You probably have a stove, a microwave, a coffee maker, a dishwasher. How do you avoid the sun in the morning? What are you going to do about gravity? There are 'waves' everywhere.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pat,
We put a solar lease 7.5kw system on about 7 years ago and went to the time adv plan where expensive is during day when solar is cranking. Haven’t paid much in power bills since, and solar lease is way less than power. Usually power bills lower considerably when on one of the time plans.
The smart meter has changed our cabin electric in the mountains tremendously. It used to have quite a few outages for hours at at time, but the electric co sees the issue before we do and there are very few outages there now and usually only for about 5min.
If you run AC much the local installer recommends a “super cooling”plan with a time plan and a programmable thermostat that saves significant $$ if you follow it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When we built our cabin ( All electric ,No gas) the local utility wanted us to go off peak .The cost of the off peak equipment was $700 to $800 and you had to buy the off peak package from the utility . A few years later the Utility decided this wasn't working for them and dropped the off peak rate . Both meters were billed at the highest rate plus because there is a meter reading charge they tried to bill you for reading 2 electric meters
The utility is a small private concern and pretty well does what it wants. We lost power for 2 weeks one time because the utility refused to pay overtime or hire linemen from neighboring utilities.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote