Chef's Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We have been using the Rockcroc from The Pampered Chef. Stovetop, oven, Coleman stove, ect, great for dry camping. We store ours in the oven with a hand towel wrapped around the lid. https://www.pamperedchef.com/rockcro...ation-overview

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
You know I never thought of taking the rice cooker in the trailer for when we are plugged in... I really have a hard time with the flame when I cook rice on the stove...Duh...

And we have a nice new convection toaster oven that we use all the time in the house..We bought it for the trailer as it just fits in the wardrobe shelf--that was made to measure--we had the measurements when we went shopping and thankfully it was a good brand that fit) Then Doug realized that we would use it more in the house and save on the big oven for certain things.. So the rice cooker should come on our next trip in May as we will have electricity..

Thanks Laura!! Our machine is very similar except I think it has a heat setting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffy View Post
Everyone has such great ideas, will decide what will go in the "kitch" once the Escape is home this fall. Toaster oven might find a place, it's a give and take as far as space and weight.
We've equipped a boat galley and our Teardrop, minimal I can do, just don't touch my
Instant Pot.
Using the outdoor shower for cleanup is a great suggestion.
We are sure enjoying this Forum.
When we were putting our build sheet together we both decided we didn't want the microwave and would prefer the storage space as the entire cabinet can be used for storage. I looked around at various stores and online and this is what I settled on for a toaster oven:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both the black and the grey one. It has two racks, which is what I wanted as that's what I use in my home cooking (we hardly ever use our large oven). My plan is to also use it for baking the clocks that I sell at craft/other shows for when I'm out of town and a customer requests a special order. I tested it at home and it worked great for both the clocks and my food. Took it out to the trailer and thought I'd put it in the microwave cabinet. Too high and tricky getting it in and out, so it now resides in the cabinet under the stove top.

Then I thought "what a PITA to haul it back and forth" so Dirk said "get another one", so I did. Originally the silver was less than the black, but when I went to order again, it was the other way around, which worked out perfectly. The plug in cord was longer! Which works better in the house than the trailer due to where the outlets are.

Anyway, just throwing out this toaster oven link in case others are looking for something similar and you're going nuts finding ones that are an inch too wide (been there, done your research for ya! ). I don't know how it'll fit in other size trailers, but that's where it goes in my 21 footer.

I looked at that rice cooker again and it's the same as ours, just updated white feature thingies on it. We've used ours for years and years; most weeks at least twice. I got another one just for the trailer as it's small enough to easily fit on the counter. My rice is a mix of Lotus Foods rice (red rice, forbidden rice and volcano rice) plus some red quinoa.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Is the CanCooker a steamer or a pressure cooker?

From the CanCooker FAQ:
Quote:
The CanCooker is a steamer and uses the basic principals as a convection oven. The Cancooker produces a deep penetrating steam that cooks food to perfection. There is a small hole in the lid so that it is passive and there is no pressure built up. You can open and close the lid at anytime.
So the CanCooker is not a pressure cooker.
Yes, "principals" is the wrong word, and should be "principles".

In contrast, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, although apparently operating at a lower pressure than most (from their FAQ):
Quote:
The choice of a lower working pressure in Instant Pot is a trade-off of function and cost. The pressure cooker industry safety standard ANSI/UL-136 has a stress test case which requires no leaking at 5 times the working pressure. For 15psi cookers, this is 75psi; for 11.6psi Instant Pot, this is 58psi...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
The Boat Galley website has some great cooking ideas. Based on that I decided to try a thermal cooker on our next road trip. Saratoga Jacks 5.5 liter Stainless Steel Thermal Cooker with- 2 inner pots Feeds 3 to 5 People - Saratoga Jacks This is the one I chose. I have tried it at home for a few recipes. Works great. Make dinner in the morning, seal it up, leave it in the trailer (doesn't need any power) for the rest of the day and it's ready within 8 hrs.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I recently became an Instant Pot convert (and it's legal here!) so am planning on taking mine on the next trip. (Took the toaster oven last time and used it exactly once in 10 days- not worth it.) So what all have you made with it while camping? So far I've used mine mostly for meat and have not even tried cheesecake yet. But I'm ready to branch out.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We took our new Instant Pot on our recent one month trip. Used it a few times, twice made whole chicken with root vegetables, delicious and fast! What's nice too is putting it outside on a little aluminum table we carry, keeps the heat out of the trailer. Have done the same in past years with toaster oven.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Just prepared my first meal tonight using a wonderbag (Home page) - pleasantly surprised! Will definitely be a part of my dry camping adventures.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I recently became an Instant Pot convert (and it's legal here!) so am planning on taking mine on the next trip. (Took the toaster oven last time and used it exactly once in 10 days- not worth it.) So what all have you made with it while camping? So far I've used mine mostly for meat and have not even tried cheesecake yet. But I'm ready to branch out.
Paula just got an instant Pot 6 duo plus on Saturday. So far she has made hard boiled eggs, (just to try it out) excellent yogurt, and last night some awesome BBQ shredded chicken served on burger buns with side salad. I expect it will become a regular item we take with us in Salish "See".
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #29

I tried flan at home yesterday. Turned out easy and great- which sealed taking the IP on the next trip as we are doing Taco night. But trying to think of other meals to do with it since it is coming. I saw a great recipe for a caramel apple cake I may try. Hardboiled eggs are great but just as easy to do at home before I leave.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sounds fun have to check it out!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #31

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Chef's Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Just prepared my first meal tonight using a wonderbag (Home page) - pleasantly surprised! Will definitely be a part of my dry camping adventures.

Patricia,

Thanks for mentioning the Wonderbag! I followed the link and ordered one. I like the idea and I like what they're trying to accomplish. I wish they would say more about how they plan to get Wonderbags to third world users.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Patricia,

Thanks for mentioning the Wonderbag! I followed the link and ordered one. I like the idea and I like what they're trying to accomplish. I wish they would say more about how they plan to get Wonderbags to third world users.

Rich
Hi Rich,
Don't be surprised when it arrives... they ship them in a vacuum pack so they are hard as a rock! Open it up - work to separate the foam bits and then let it sit for an hour or so and you'll be good to go. I ordered a small one - perfect for a 3 quart pot. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first - first attempt was with chicken legs, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, tomato puree and chicken broth (and favorite seasonings of course) - it came out like it had been in a crock pot all day. Really neat! Not for everyone but for those of us who camp sans electricity at times this is a perfect, propane saving way to cook!
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
I also bought the Saratoga 5.5 and plan to take it with me in my 21 escape (Build in September). I'm still learning to use but so far in my testing it has worked great.
twotwinpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #34

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Chef's Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Hi Rich,

Don't be surprised when it arrives... they ship them in a vacuum pack so they are hard as a rock! Open it up - work to separate the foam bits and then let it sit for an hour or so and you'll be good to go. I ordered a small one - perfect for a 3 quart pot. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first - first attempt was with chicken legs, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, tomato puree and chicken broth (and favorite seasonings of course) - it came out like it had been in a crock pot all day. Really neat! Not for everyone but for those of us who camp sans electricity at times this is a perfect, propane saving way to cook!

Hi Patricia,
I like boondocking, so this should be great.
They described the small one as big enough for two quart pots so I got the big one. Overkill!
Well, I'll have leftovers and can save even more propane.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #35

I'm getting addicted to the Instant Pot for use camping. The other day I made rhubarb crisp from frozen (pre-chopped) rhubarb and topping I'd prepared at home. Then did chicken sausages and peppers. Although then I had my second failure- asparagus. I didn't get a good seal and it overcooked. I don't think I'd do asparagus that way again. But then this morning made a cheesecake and it is chilling now and looks great.

As an aside- I need a mixing blade for my drill. I used a curved-end tent peg to make the cream cheese get soft enough that a hand whisk would work. But I know they make those for paint mixers with very long shafts. I want a shorter one more like a mixer blade. Does anyone know of one?

Next dish- cooking up tri tip steaks for sandwiches (it leaves none of it rare- which is bad- but it is so tender and falling apart it makes great sandwiches- good.) Then flan for taco night. I do have plans for some DO cooking, too- cinnamon rolls and cornbread- but I'm really having fun with the Instant pot.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bobbie, I love ours, but for some reason my wife is reluctant to take it along and use it. Any advice I can pass on to her? I love the fact we can get a meal that tastes like it took hours in less than 30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Bobbie, I love ours, but for some reason my wife is reluctant to take it along and use it. Any advice I can pass on to her? I love the fact we can get a meal that tastes like it took hours in less than 30 minutes.

One pot cleanup?

You'll do the cooking?
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
You'll do the cooking?
I was afraid you'd say that. [emoji1]

Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
LOL, I agree with Bobbie. Best thing you can tell your wife, Robert, is that you'll do the cooking.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
As an aside- I need a mixing blade for my drill. I used a curved-end tent peg to make the cream cheese get soft enough that a hand whisk would work. But I know they make those for paint mixers with very long shafts. I want a shorter one more like a mixer blade. Does anyone know of one?"
Hi Bobbie54,
In the past I have put just one mixing 'blade' from an electric hand mixer in my drill with acceptable results. Sorta .... yeah ..ok I was mixing epoxy with it but cake mix has about the same viscosity.

Shouldn't be any problem to just cut off the shaft of a paint mixer to the length you want.

Currently, am in a hunt for a good cordless stick blender. Seems they are either pretty expensive or the reviews for the affordable ones aren't very good. They can also be excessively long to be used in a trailer ... still shopping.

I like to cook but am not a gourmet ... just enjoy the sharing. The good news is .... its been a really long time since I have poisoned any of my good friends ....

Tom