Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #201
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
last couple camping trips, I reverted to hand pour drip in a melita '1 cup' filter over my 20 ounce thermal tumbler, and the aeropress is being ignored. one of those brewed medium-strong is sufficient coffee for me for the whole day, half of one, brewed somewhat weaker keeps my wife happy.

I like to dribble just enough hot water on the grinds to get them wet, then let it sit a minute, then slowly dribble the rest over about a minute.

still using the HandGround coffee mill, tho! setting '3' is perfect for melitta hand pour.

the picture shows just enough beans for a one-cup melitta filter.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #202

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We used the Aeropress for a few months but it started to wear out and the pressing action became unstable due to the plastic cylinder wearing internally. Also got tired of the cleanup. So we switched to pour over with the Melitta cone. Using their paper filters the cleanup is easy as pie.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #203

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Does the Aeropress make coffee, expresso, or both? and I don't mean Americano. I grew up with Dunkin Donuts, not Starbucks.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #204

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
We used the Aeropress for a few months but it started to wear out and the pressing action became unstable due to the plastic cylinder wearing internally. Also got tired of the cleanup. So we switched to pour over with the Melitta cone. Using their paper filters the cleanup is easy as pie.
Both my current AeroPresses have been going for a half dozen years or more. I know quite a few others who use it and they too have not had one wear out.

The rubber end of the plunger is the only thing I have replaced, but there are lots of good practises that keep it working and sealing well for many years.

Not sure what you are referring to with getting tired of the cleanup, as a quick rinse or wipe and all is good. I regularly while camping do a half dozen double batches in short order with no problem. I had a sign made up by family and friends that says "Jim Hortons".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Does the Aeropress make coffee, expresso, or both? and I don't mean Americano. I grew up with Dunkin Donuts, not Starbucks.
As mentioned before, it makes what I call a syrup that you add hot water to, to taste. Kinda like making an Americano, though it really isn't an espresso produced.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #206

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Both my current AeroPresses have been going for a half dozen years or more. I know quite a few others who use it and they too have not had one wear out.

The rubber end of the plunger is the only thing I have replaced, but there are lots of good practises that keep it working and sealing well for many years.

Not sure what you are referring to with getting tired of the cleanup, as a quick rinse or wipe and all is good. I regularly while camping do a half dozen double batches in short order with no problem. I had a sign made up by family and friends that says "Jim Hortons".
I tried replacing the rubber end as you mentioned but that only helped for a short time. The plunger would travel smoothly for a short distance and then suddenly jump an inch or so with water squirting above the rubber. I couldn't see any obvious defect with the rubber end but there were rub marks showing up in the clear cylinder so I guess the internal diameter was growing larger with use.

Admittedly the cleanup isn't too bad but it's even easier with the Melitta cone. Just grab the top of the filter and put the whole thing in the trash. Only one thing to rinse - the plastic cone vs the plunger, the cylinder, the end cap and the stainless filter, if used, on the Aeropress.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #208

Quote:
I tried replacing the rubber end as you mentioned but that only helped for a short time. The plunger would travel smoothly for a short distance and then suddenly jump an inch or so with water squirting above the rubber. I couldn't see any obvious defect with the rubber end but there were rub marks showing up in the clear cylinder so I guess the internal diameter was growing larger with use.

Admittedly the cleanup isn't too bad but it's even easier with the Melitta cone. Just grab the top of the filter and put the whole thing in the trash. Only one thing to rinse - the plastic cone vs the plunger, the cylinder, the end cap and the stainless filter, if used, on the Aeropress.
If you leave the plunger in the tube for an extended period, it will compress it a bit and let that happen. What I do once in a while is to roll the rubber end with the plunger on an angle for a bit and soften it up. This works great. A new rubber will last me ages before needing to do this.

There should be no wear on the inside of the housing from the rubber. Maybe this was a defective piece? How did you clean it? I usually just give it a rinse and once in a while a good was with soapy water. I never use anything but a cloth at the most when I do wash it.

I use both the supplied paper and a stainless filter, depending on the bean origin. The stainless gives the coffee a wee bit more natural acidity which in many cases is desirable. I rinse the paper one and use it 20 times or more and find it works better if I do so. The stainless filter just gets a quick rinse with hot water, nothing more.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #209

Quote:
If you leave the plunger in the tube for an extended period, it will compress it a bit and let that happen. What I do once in a while is to roll the rubber end with the plunger on an angle for a bit and soften it up. This works great. A new rubber will last me ages before needing to do this.

There should be no wear on the inside of the housing from the rubber. Maybe this was a defective piece? How did you clean it? I usually just give it a rinse and once in a while a good was with soapy water. I never use anything but a cloth at the most when I do wash it.

I use both the supplied fabric and a stainless filter, depending on the bean origin. The stainless gives the coffee a wee bit more natural acidity which in many cases is desirable. I rinse the paper one and use it 20 times or more and find it works better if I do so. The stainless filter just gets a quick rinse with hot water, nothing more.
Yep, just wiped everything with a wet sponge. I did leave the plunger in the cylinder while stored so that may have had something to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. But there were rub marks showing up inside the cylinder.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #210

Quote:
Yep, just wiped everything with a wet sponge. I did leave the plunger in the cylinder while stored so that may have had something to do with it. Other than that I have no idea. But there were rub marks showing up inside the cylinder.
If you leave the plunger stored in the cylinder, remove the filter cap and allow the rubber tip to rest outside the end. Then all will be fine.

Quick math calculated to 15,000 cups made by me with the AeroPress, and I bet that is low.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #211

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
A new rubber will last me ages....
Same for me, especially since my wife is no longer interested...

I don't drink all that much coffee, but when I do, I Aeropress.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #212

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I like my Aeropress too but I am not a PhD Coffee Engineer like Jim. But I have found a coffee that I really like. Its of course pre-roasted and whole bagged beans and comes from Brazil. You can get it from:

Mogiana Coffee
5-117111 No. 5 Rd.
Richmond, BC V7A 4E8
www.mogianacoffee.com

Unfortunately, to get in the USA, it doubles in price …. that is why I save my empty Starbuck's bags for visiting Canada and when I have to cross the border. I didn't say that I have done that …. just that it occurred to me to maybe do that someday. You know....

Tom
Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 AM   #213
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I get my beans from a local wholesale roaster who supplies many local restaurants and cafes, but also sells direct.... Single origin whole bean coffees are $11-12 a full pound. My favorites include Kenya AA, Moka-Java, Tanzania pea-berry, Ethiopian Harrar, Nicraguan,. Costa Rican, and New Guinea
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #214

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I thought with the inverter in our 5.0TA I'd bring a good electric grinder but decided to stick with my tried and true German manual grinder. It's called a knee mill, the sides are curved to hold between your knees for grinding. And we have always used a stove top moka pot for brewing.
Attached Thumbnails
20190924_145218.jpg  
Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #215

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I thought with the inverter in our 5.0TA I'd bring a good electric grinder but decided to stick with my tried and true German manual grinder. It's called a knee mill, the sides are curved to hold between your knees for grinding. And we have always used a stove top moka pot for brewing.
A coffee lover can retire, but he can't escape the daily grind!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #216

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Nice. Found a similar grinder on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus-Sa.../dp/B000VZEKMI

I have one of these, but it only makes 3 espresso-size cups.
https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expr.../dp/B0000AN3QI

I thought I was getting this size.
https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-0685.../dp/B000FDL588
Old 09-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #217

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We also do the daily manual grind. But instead use a melitta filter system. I do prefer the taste of the moka pot, however the paper filter keeps coffee grounds out of the grey water system and potential to jam the knife control. We find the melitta #2 filter is available basically anywhere. Mexico to Martinique the filter is available.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #218

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My favorite coffee shot, Labour Day weekend, tent camping between trailers #4 and #5, frost on the tent at Killbear Provincial Park here in Ontario.

The Cabelas Perk has made a lot of campfire coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
E41974BB-18D4-4F31-BDC4-F23DC25C22D5.jpg  
Old 09-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #219

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
My favorite coffee shot, Labour Day weekend, tent camping between trailers #4 and #5, frost on the tent at Killbear Provincial Park here in Ontario.

The Cabelas Perk has made a lot of campfire coffee.
Doug just in case carry our old stainless Perk coffee maker too and sometimes still use it ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #220

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We love our stovetop percolator, and even keep using it when we have hookups. I’m looking for one of the old Revere Ware Copper Bottom Percolators that show up in Goodwill, etc every now n then for a long term replacement.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote