Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #221

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Well I went with a Clever Dripper pour over coffee maker and a JavaPresse hand grinder. Been using them at home for the last month or so with some Sumatra beans from a shop up the road. As far as I'm concerned it'll work for traveling but it's too small scale for use at home. I'd like to ask what you folks use for home brewing and grinding? Been looking at the Baratza Encore grinder bit I'm lost on a brewer.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #222
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Well I went with a Clever Dripper pour over coffee maker and a JavaPresse hand grinder. Been using them at home for the last month or so with some Sumatra beans from a shop up the road. As far as I'm concerned it'll work for traveling but it's too small scale for use at home. I'd like to ask what you folks use for home brewing and grinding? Been looking at the Baratza Encore grinder bit I'm lost on a brewer.
Bob, I use a Newco OCS-12, which is one of the first brewers to be SCA certified, although it's no longer available. Nowadays that SCA certification has become more popular, so there are several brewers that have become SCA certified. The problem with about 95% of the typical home brewers out there is that they don't have sufficient wattage to heat the water to the proper temperature for optimum extraction. All of the brewers on the SCA list will heat the water properly. My personal favorites on the list are the Technivorms, which are made in the Netherlands and make extraordinary coffee, but all the brewers on the list will make much better coffee than the typical home brewer you see at the store. You can learn more about SCA certification and view a list of all the brewers that are certified here:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

Side note: I would not try to take ANY of the SCA certified brewers with me in the trailer, unless I had hookups. They won't run on the inverters installed by Escape, and even if they did, your batteries would take quite a hit.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #223

Thanks Robert, I've been looking at the units on that list.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #224

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been using an AeroPress at home for many years now. Once I finish this house off, sell it, go on a years travel, then refinish my final home, I plan to buy a good espresso maker as well.

I use an am old, but solidly built KitchenAid grinder, which I don't think has been made for a while now. Baratza is a good and popular brand with a few nice grinders.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #225

I'm looking for something that makes a whole pot, we usually have about 3 cups each in the am. Making 2 cups at a time is fine when camping, not so at home.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #226

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We also like the Clever Dripper although ours has started to leak a bit. As others have pointed out, the volume is limited to about 3 cups at least the way we brew. Can't be bothered to grind coffee on the road, just buy in smaller amounts.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #227

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm looking for something that makes a whole pot, we usually have about 3 cups each in the am. Making 2 cups at a time is fine when camping, not so at home.
I do two at a time two to three times at home usually. Camping it can be many more, depending on how may folks are drinking it. An easy thing to do really, at least for me, in order to get that cup I really enjoy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #228
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
after years of using a Bonavita dripper, it started flaking out, and we just got a new Motif Elements electric drip pot, that makes /great/ coffee, the thermos carafe keeps it warm for many hours. it does the presoak for best extraction.
https://www.amazon.com/Motif-Element.../dp/B078532RVC

our home grinder is an older Capresso Infinity, best burr mill I could find for under $100.
https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-.../dp/B0000AR7SY

when you run out of the Sumatra, try some medium roast Kenya AA
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #229

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
our home grinder is an older Capresso Infinity, best burr mill I could find for under $100.
https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-.../dp/B0000AR7SY
That's the same grinder that we have, and we only got it last Christmas. I don't know what it cost (it was a gift, but presumably from Bed Bath & Beyond and on sale) but it produces a more consistent grind, and goes to a much finer grind if desired, than the Black&Decker which we were using. Before that we had a Braun that I liked, but after few decades the motor just wore out
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #230

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have had the Capresso burr grinder for 15 years or so, use it daily and it still works great.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #231
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have had the Capresso burr grinder for 15 years or so, use it daily and it still works great.
ditto. We've had our Infinity about that long, too, and Its been very durable, making 1-2 pots of coffee a day. We mostly use light to medium roast coffees, I've noted that when we put a dark roast like an Italian roast in it, it gets a lot oilier inside and needs more frequent cleaning, but with the light roasts it stays pretty clean.

it doesn't /quite/ grind fine enough for a proper espresso but its great for everything else. for our drip, I use a setting at the lower side of 'fine', and for an '8 cup' pot w/ a melitta #4 filter, I twist the timer to about 10 or 11 am depending on the coffee beans. Do note, the amount of grinds you get at a given timer setting is heavily dependent on how fine its set.

The Motif Elements coffee maker, with its presoak setting, seems to make richer cleaner tasting coffee, consistently excellent. We use filtered water from a local water company as our tap water is really hard and kinda nasty tasting, that really helps too. I also like that I can remove the water tank, and bring it to the water dispenser to be filled right to the '8' line. Motif is a fairly new company started by a commercial espresso machine supplier in Seattle.
https://www.motifcoffee.com/products...s-steel-carafe

I've been a 'coffee snob' my whole life. My parents fresh ground their beans daily in the 1960s, and used a ceramic Melitta hand pour coffee maker, when they didn't use a french press or stove top espresso machine for special occasions. They bought their coffee every week from Freed Teller and Freed's, the original small boutique roaster in San Francisco (sadly, gone now), so I grew up thinking thats what coffee was, and boy was I surprised at how awful most commercial coffee is when I was older.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #232

Something a little strange with the Motif. Their link to buy it goes to Williams Sonoma, which shows it as No Longer Available. Amazon only carries the glass version for $89, a few 2ndary vendors have the thermal carafe unit for $179+. I dropped them an email about it. It's almost like they are not making them any more.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #233

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Making coffee in the trailer, we always use a stainless steel coffee pot to boil (!) water and then pour over Melitta filter into another stainless coffeepot.Using a tea cosy to keep it warm.
We use coffee machines at home but yes, they do not heat the water enough to bring out the real flavour but it is convinient.We have gone trough quite a few machines in the last few years, they only last so long and we love our coffee.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #234
Site Team

Quote:
Something a little strange with the Motif. Their link to buy it goes to Williams Sonoma, which shows it as No Longer Available. Amazon only carries the glass version for $89, a few 2ndary vendors have the thermal carafe unit for $179+. I dropped them an email about it. It's almost like they are not making them any more.
huh. we got ours just a few months ago when our Bonavita thermal carafe pot conked out after buncha-years of service.

hmm, the Essential model is available... that didn't exist when we ordered ours, the only real difference is, it doesn't have the digital clock.
https://www.amazon.com/Motif-Essenti.../dp/B077V38JC6
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #235

Maybe they are just replacing the Element. I'll find out next week, I like the units.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:05 AM   #236

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Good coffee makes camping great. Even better is knowing your relief point is attached directly behind you!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #237

Got an email back from Motif, the Element has been discontinued. The email address of the person that sent the message is bonivitaworld.com.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #238
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Got an email back from Motif, the Element has been discontinued. The email address of the person that sent the message is bonivitaworld.com.
The Motif looks suspiciously like a Technivorm.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #239
Site Team

Quote:
oh, THATS interesting. Our previous pot was a Bonavita. Bonavita has some connection with Melitta, as the stainless thermos carafe they used was identical to a Melitta handpour set I've seen for sale.

It was an older version of this, in fact, their first product...
8-Cup One-Touch | Bonavita World

Our original Bonavita carafe was glass lined, stainless on the outside, and kept things hot for many hours. after many years, the liner broke and the replacement pots were all stainless and didn't stay hot nearly as long.

the big annoyance with the Bonavita was having to remove the filter cone, and install a screwon top to the carafe after brewing. there was nowhere to store the cone, so it ends up just sitting on the counter.

otherwise, the Bonavita made excellent coffee for years, but towards the end the automatic shutoff stopped working, and upon investigation, I discovered the boiler coils were rather corroded, and likely to fail, which is why I did the research that landed me on the Motif.

OOOOOOOH. dig through corporate press releases and find...
http://bonavitaworld.com/sites/defau...015_final2.pdf

so.... Espresso Supply owns Bonavita too.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #240

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like things that serve more than one application.
This Melita thermal carafe and filter can be used with electric or propane heated kettle that can also be used to make tea or hot chocolate.

The thermal carafe is easy to store, doesn't require electricity and you can take it outside.
https://shop.melitta.ca/products/the...=7940276453428
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.11.02 PM.jpg