Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #261

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I read someplace that those Keurig pods are clogging drains and sewer systems, something like 30,000,000 per year are being disposed of......
That makes no sense as they are not something you can flush or wash down a drain. They may be filling landfills, though at this point I doubt that they add a substantial amount to everything else that gets disposed of.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #262

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It seems their pods are not recyclable until a recent change in manufacture
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/386501/
https://www.mnn.com/food/beverages/b...sion-the-waste
https://business.financialpost.com/n...ts-still-trash
Old 12-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #263

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Did you not see we don’t use pods , too expensive for one thing . Used Coffee is thrown out just like everyone ‘s is . Pat
Our used coffee gets put in either our compost bin or the one we set out for pick up by the city.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #264

One thing to consider, no matter how you brew your coffee, is that the biggest boost in flavour is grinding the beans right before they get hit with the water for extraction of the good stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #265

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know anything about that. I opened a new jar of Nescafe today. Umm, smell that delicious aroma.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #266

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't think the Kurig I linked to uses coffee of any sort. They've expanded the pod world.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I don't know anything about that. I opened a new jar of Nescafe today. Umm, smell that delicious aroma.

Ron
You most certainly have some traits I am very fond of, but there are a few like this one.........
Old 12-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #268

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our used coffee gets put in either our compost bin or the one we set out for pick up by the city.
Used to do that , no longer . It goes in the trash . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't think the Kurig I linked to uses coffee of any sort. They've expanded the pod world.
Is that their new mixed drink machine ? Pat
Old 12-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Wouldn’t bother me to drink your drink of choice if that’s what was there . Pat
Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #271

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I read someplace that those Keurig pods are clogging drains and sewer systems, something like 30,000,000 per year are being disposed of......
Who would put a plastic cup and foil lid (let alone the coffee grounds and paper filter inside) into a sewer system? Are we really talking about Keurig pods here?

Keurig claims that the pods can be recycled, but in fact almost no municipality will recycle such a small bit of plastic as the pod cup, and even then it would need to be separated from the coffee, filter, and foil. It isn't just the type of plastic, it's the small size which the recycling companies won't touch and sorting plants can't separate. We were recently considering a Keurig so I asked about this, and Keurig was unable to provide the name of any municipality which actually takes them; mine certainly doesn't. In practice, there are four disposal methods:
  1. throw the whole used pod in the garbage (that's where most go);
  2. using the standard pods, tear it apart, send coffee and filter to composting, and put the plastic and foil in the garbage;
  3. use fully compostable pods (PURPOD 100), put the individual foil bag in the garbage, and send the used pod for composting... if your municipal composting system considers these sufficiently compostable (they take a long time to break down); or,
  4. use a reusable pod which you fill with coffee, then compost (or garbage) only the used grounds
I don't see any functional difference between a Keurig using a reusable pod, and any random single-cup small drip filter coffee maker for $20.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #272

Quote:
Does anyone use a Kurig? How about this new one?

https://www.drinkworks.com/
Quote:
Wonderful: low quality, high cost, and high waste spread from coffee to alcoholic beverages.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Who would put a plastic cup and foil lid (let alone the coffee grounds and paper filter inside) into a sewer system? Are we really talking about Keurig pods here?

Keurig claims that the pods can be recycled, but in fact almost no municipality will recycle such a small bit of plastic as the pod cup, and even then it would need to be separated from the coffee, filter, and foil. It isn't just the type of plastic, it's the small size which the recycling companies won't touch and sorting plants can't separate. We were recently considering a Keurig so I asked about this, and Keurig was unable to provide the name of any municipality which actually takes them; mine certainly doesn't. In practice, there are four disposal methods:
  1. throw the whole used pod in the garbage (that's where most go);
  2. using the standard pods, tear it apart, send coffee and filter to composting, and put the plastic and foil in the garbage;
  3. use fully compostable pods (PURPOD 100), put the individual foil bag in the garbage, and send the used pod for composting... if your municipal composting system considers these sufficiently compostable (they take a long time to break down); or,
  4. use a reusable pod which you fill with coffee, then compost (or garbage) only the used grounds
I don't see any functional difference between a Keurig using a reusable pod, and any random single-cup small drip filter coffee maker for $20.
Brian we purchased one when they first came out because we couldn’t agree on how the coffee was made . Linda likes hers strong , I don’t . There are many settings on the machine from a expresso to to large cup or can make ice coffee . It’s hard to explain but we are now both happy and get the cup we want . A long time ago we use the reusable pods , so the only thing disposed of is the used coffee . Pat
Old 12-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #274

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
we couldn’t agree on how the coffee was made . Linda likes hers strong , I don’t . Pat

The problem with that is to make strong coffee, you add more grounds, or I guess with a pod, use less water. I'm not sure how Keurig does that.
I know that if I run my Nespresso through the same pod twice to make a larger cup of coffee, it makes a truly awful cup of coffee.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #275

Quote:
Brian we purchased one when they first came out because we couldn’t agree on how the coffee was made . Linda likes hers strong , I don’t . There are many settings on the machine from a expresso to to large cup or can make ice coffee .
The setting just determines how much water is poured through the ground coffee - nearly any coffee brewing method can have the amount of water adjusted. I get the idea of individual brewing, and that's why my comparison was to a single-cup drip brewer; something like an Aeropress works for individual cups, too.

I have consumed lots of Keurig coffee: we had them in the office and some of my family members have them. They certainly work, but when fussing with reusable filter pods, they just don't seem to me to have an advantage.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The problem with that is to make strong coffee, you add more grounds, or I guess with a pod, use less water. I'm not sure how Keurig does that.
I know that if I run my Nespresso through the same pod twice to make a larger cup of coffee, it makes a truly awful cup of coffee.
No Glenn do not run coffee through twice . Yes less coffee will give you not such a strong cup . You know what ,I started using the second setting with same amount of coffee which is closer to expresso . I like it but I do use cream and a dash of cinnamon. We can make those fancy Starbucks coffees too without the price . If the Starbucks ground is on sale we will buy for a treat . It just works for us and don’t have to mess around . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
30632335-3957-4459-81E3-728973A54483.jpg   C942149F-9A5A-4D39-BED9-FBE0BEE505D6.jpg  
Old 12-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #277

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
No Glenn do not run coffee through twice .

I wasn't suggesting that you do. All I am pointing out, as did Brian, is that to make coffee stronger, you have to use more grounds. To make it less strong, you can use less grounds or more water.

The machine you use matters not.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The setting just determines how much water is poured through the ground coffee - nearly any coffee brewing method can have the amount of water adjusted. I get the idea of individual brewing, and that's why my comparison was to a single-cup drip brewer; something like an Aeropress works for individual cups, too.

I have consumed lots of Keurig coffee: we had them in the office and some of my family members have them. They certainly work, but when fussing with reusable filter pods, they just don't seem to me to have an advantage.
We just find less messing around . I can’t think in morning until I have that cup . I found better reusable pods then the one Keurig gives you . Once it is done lift the lid , dump the grounds so easy . Because over 25 years ago have a water distiller , that is our water . So the machine doesn’t get clogged up . Once in awhile remove the part that holds the pod and clean that up . In the trailer if we have hookups , we have a little Mr Coffee and will make coffee in it . That one was has sentimental meaning given by a family member no longer here for our little motorhome . We will use freeze dried coffee if boondocking sometimes . But at home we like our Keurig . Pat
Old 12-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wasn't suggesting that you do. All I am pointing out, as did Brian, is that to make coffee stronger, you have to use more grounds. To make it less strong, you can use less grounds or more water.

The machine you use matters not.
I know Glenn but that was the problem , you either end up with that cup too strong or not because of how you made the pot . We have looked at the coffee presses too but too much messing around to clean . Actually when camping can even put filter over cup with your coffee in and pour hot water . And when family comes over if needed still have the drip coffee maker for 12 cups or they can do the Keirug . Pat
Old 12-22-2019, 01:30 AM   #280
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Brian we purchased one when they first came out because we couldn’t agree on how the coffee was made . Linda likes hers strong , I don’t .
We're the inverse of that, I like mine brewed strong, my wife not quite so much so.

So I just add a sploosh of water to my wife's cup, perfecto!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote