Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
amazon.ca has the aeropress on for $31, which as far as I know, has been its lowest for the past year. Certainly recently with the Loonie being crippled.

Lightning deal, limited time and quantity.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0047BIWSK
That's a great deal, Bruce. Too bad I already have two of them. One for home, and one for travel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #102

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you prefer shopping in-person (and not needing shipping), Bed Bath & Beyond now carries the Aeropress - C$40 in Canada or US$30 in the U.S.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #103

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Well on the recommendation of the Emperor of Coffee as Mr. Coffee PhD ... alias, Mr. Jim Bennett .... I ordered an Aeropress and am about to order another. One for home and one for my trailer. Makes GREAT coffee and once one is used to the simple steps, I find it easy and superior in all ways.

Thank you your Highness Emperor Jim!

My mornings are significantly brighter ...

Tom - now how do you post a happy face with a "S" eating grin?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Add the S Filter from Amazon and you'll have even better tasting coffee. You get all the best features of a french press, but no grounds or sludge. The SS S filter allows the oils ti get through that the paper filters out.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #105

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
It looks to me like the AeroPress may be the answer to our dilemma when we get our camper. My wife drinks decafe and I drink regular and we did not want the expense of those Kuerig cups. Looks like the perfect solution.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #106

I have been using the AeroPress 90% of the time since it first came out a good 10 years ago. It is a great way to make a single serving. Grinding fresh is very important too (as it is for any extraction method), and beats those awful Keurig things hands down in taste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #107

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Well maybe we will like it enough to use at home also. While we do like the convenience of our Keurig, and neither of us claims to be coffee connoisseurs, I will admit that the taste does leave something to be desired. And the cost per cup can really add up if you think about it
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #108

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Nice summary of the finer points of coffee brewing

Tips on Brewing Coffee
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #109
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
I've been using a french press for a number of years but recently switched this silicon, collapsible pour over by GSI. it takes up much less space, clean up is a snap and frankly it makes great coffee.

Amazon.com : GSI Outdoors 79480 Collapsible Java Drip Coffee Maker : Camping Coffee And Tea Pots : Sports & Outdoors

I liked it so well, I ditched my home brewer as well and got one for the kitchen. A benefit was reclaiming a square foot of counter space

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
It looks to me like the AeroPress may be the answer to our dilemma when we get our camper. My wife drinks decafe and I drink regular and we did not want the expense of those Kuerig cups. Looks like the perfect solution.
For years we used a French press with fresh ground beans and were pretty happy with the exception of the amount of water it takes to clean it, kind of hard on the boondocking water supply. The kids gave us a stove stop percolator for Christmas a few years ago and that became our mainstay, not great but okay coffee.

When we joined this forum back in 2013 waiting for our 5.0 TA to be built I came upon one of Jims Aeropress threads. Intrigued, I researched it on coffee geek and Amazon, there is a whole lot of love out there for the Aeropress. I asked Santa for one Christmas 2013, for our upcoming 5th wheel.

Our first nights stop on the way home was Green Lake PP. In the morning I eagerly unpackaged my brand new Aeropress that Santa gave me (with my S filter) and preceded to make the biggest mess ever, water and coffee grounds all over the place, what a piece of junk. (I never read directions) Aeropress went into storage cabinet, and percolator came back into service.

The following spring preparing for a trip up north I was cleaning up the trailer came across the aeropress and decided to give it another try, watched a couple of You tube videos and found out the importance of the having a very fine grind. We run a super automatic Magnifica machine at home and the aeropress comes very close to the quality of that coffee.

Thanks Jim Bennett, Lord of Coffee. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the melting arctic ice Schnauzer

Friends don’t let friends eat farmed salmon
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Thanks Jim Bennett, lord of coffee. Scott
LOL... Gee, thanks Scott. :You are very welcome.

I do love my coffee though.

A percolator can produce a very fine cup. If one turns down the heat the minute it starts to perc, and maintains a very slow perc, then shut the heat completely off after 2 minutes or so (3 max), you can produce very good coffee. Over extracting with too hard of a perc (with too high of water temps) for too long of a time is what produces a very bitter brew.

A pour through, like Janet alluded to, is also another good way of making coffee, and I have had many a good cup done this way. I usually pour enough water on the grounds to just soak them, then allow them to bloom for about 20-30 secs, then procede with pouring more water over. I find that the water temp, like with the AeroPress, is best around 185-195°F (roughly 85-90°C).
Old 01-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #112

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i like the aeropress and sometimes i use it when i have nice beans but i am not a morning person it's difficult for me too just slap in a keurig pod. And i dont like cleaning it for just one or two cups of coffee.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #113

Clean up with the AeroPress is the easiest of any coffee maker, with the French press being about the worse. After plunging, I take the cap off, and leave the plunger in the chamber and just give the seal a quick wipe. A quick rinse of the paddle, and you are done.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #114

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another alternative for the minimal cleanup combined with low-pressure extraction of the Aeropress, but in a stove top appliance like a percolator, is the traditional Italian espresso pot. The common brand is Bialetti, but cheap no-name units are available and work the same way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #115

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think I'll just camp next to The Lord of Coffee and drink his....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #116

I rarely use my Bialetti Mocha Pot, but absolutely love the coffee it makes. On the rare occasions I make cappuccino, I make a stove top espresso with this pot, and combine it with some hot frothed milk. Otherwise, I usually make an Americano style coffee with it.

A bit of trivia (though I might have already shared), the term Americano coffee originates in WW II when American soldiers would dilute the espresso with hot water, as they were not accustomed to the strong taste.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #117

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post

^+1
If Jim makes the coffee, I'll bring the Baileys.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I do love sharing, and am often making coffee for a bunch of fellow campers. You bring the beer, and I'll bring the coffee. Win-win.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #119

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
All this talk of beer and coffee reminded me I was thirsty.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
^+1
If Jim makes the coffee, I'll bring the Baileys.

Cheers
Doug
And sit at least one campsite over if adding a pollutant like that in any delicious cup of nectar I make for you.