Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #161

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
Ya gonna hate me. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house. Sooo I just use instant coffee.

Carl,

No hate, 'cause for some reason I never saw your post. No, no, no!! I just didn't see it.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #162

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
coffee

25 years of drinking airplane coffee, I just check to see if it is brown and hope it doesn't taste like disinfectant.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #163

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Ya gonna hate me. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house. Sooo I just use instant coffee. I am just not that crazy about fresh brewed coffee. Easy when camping, an electric pot to boil the water, no electric, no worry, over to propane stove, no stove working, no worry, over the fire pit will boil water fine. Carl
Yeah, no hate Carl. We are all weird in one way or another.

Just like some prefer to wear fine clothes, some like fancy cars, others like to eat in top restaurants, and so on. I enjoy a really good cup of coffee.

Hey, we all (or most) have Escape trailers, that we have in common.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #164

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Jim, I must confess to have looked at the Behmor with longing from time to time. But I always come back to the Poppery for size and price.

I've had trouble finding rosters I really like when on the road, so I carry my roaster.

If you're ever on the western side of the Smokey Mountains (US) National Park, stop by The Artistic Bean in Townsend TN. It's a small roaster in a town of maybe 700, but its primo coffee!

I also use a hand grinder when on the road. I have a pentagonal drive attachment for my cordless drill and grind my coffee in a Porlex Mini with the drill. Never leave home without my drill because they're great for stabilizer jacks.
I bought the Behmor for $300 shortly after it came out, and have roasted in in around 1,000 times, so for $0.30 a roast, not too bad. They are working on a Connected Roaster right now, which I will keep an eye on. It will allow you to use preprogrammed roasts, and save any profiles you use.

Popcorn poppers do work, and cost very little, you just have very little control over many things. Temperature being the biggest, as various origins do better at different temperatures, and almost every bean does good lowering the roast temperature a bit once first crack starts until it is done. Then cooling as quick as possible is another key thing to stop the roast process.

Thanks for the recommendation. I need to keep a log on this a a few other roast shops folks have recommended.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #165
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Ya gonna hate me. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house. Sooo I just use instant coffee. I am just not that crazy about fresh brewed coffee. Easy when camping, an electric pot to boil the water, no electric, no worry, over to propane stove, no stove working, no worry, over the fire pit will boil water fine. Carl
I certainly won't hate you Carl... I too drink instant. I've been a Taster's Choice fan for 40 years! I'm into quantity, not quality. When I was in night school, I drank the coffee (sludge) out of vending machines, so you can tell my coffee palette isn't refine
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #166

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is an island the size of Texas made up of these "K" cups floating in the Pacific. The bane of environmentalists, I throw my waste on my Azaleas, they love it....
Gorgeous garden Jim , is that the front ? Beautiful - just
love it !
Old 05-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #167

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
25 years of drinking airplane coffee, I just check to see if it is brown and hope it doesn't taste like disinfectant.
Jack
Hey Jack, I don't know if you ever had any Convair 580 time, but at Frontier we had old tin cans of coffee that set in the coffee maker and punched open when the handle came down. It brewed a pot of deep black sludge. It was potent stuff, but darn good at 4:30am.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #168

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We go the instant route too when traveling and the cold brewed runs out. After a couple days I get used to it, but the first cup is really bad.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #169

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Instant coffee you say. Absolutely heretical. No, don't hate you, but question your sanity.
You have surely disgraced my name!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #170

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
For those of you who like instant coffee, Mount Hagen instant is an organic freeze dried with a pretty reasonable taste. I've used it off/on for years when backpacking and now in the trailer for those times when I run out of beans.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Hagen-O.../dp/B000ESJR20
Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #171

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
12v

Looking for a 12V burr grinder I saw one on youtube; looks very similar to this:
Attached Thumbnails
20170505_131346a.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #172

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Looking for a 12V burr grinder I saw one on youtube; looks very similar to this:
Ross, you might want to look into this:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/H5...l-driver-cdp-s
Old 05-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #173

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks Carl, however the GSI has a hex shaft it's top fits onto so just take the top off & good to go
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #174

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
A collar for the Thermos!

OMG. I am so excited! After all these years of being tethered to the #4 Melitta brewing cone as it drips into our SS quart Thermos, Skip found "Charlotte": a drinking-water grade 3 > 2 reducing collar that will sit on top of the Thermos, so the the Melitta brewing cone can perch without the aid of hand holding.

Amazon sells a #6 Melitta cone that's designed to work with a Thermos, but 1) we already have the #4 (and it uses the same filters as the the coffeemaker in our house), and 2) I'm afraid the #6 cone won't fit where I want to store it in the Escape. So, after some discussion and gnashing of teeth, Skip went looking through the plumbing parts...and voila!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #175

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good work. A lot cheaper than the Melita stainless thermos and filter holder I found at the Melita Canada site. I found it nowhere else, but it's the best we've used ( other than the plastic Melita set we had ). Filter holder attaches to the thermos.
Can't find it now, or I'd post a link.

Searched my mail and found this:
10 stainless steel thermal manual coffeemaker, lid and carafe and filter cone, uses #4 paper filter, $49.99

True to the Melitta tradition, prepares 10 cups of coffee made the “Gourmet” way.
Stainless Steel Carafe holds 10 cups of hot coffee and keeps it warm for hours.
Ideal for use at home, office or college.
Heavy duty plastic filter cone and lid are BPA Free and top rack dishwasher safe.
Includes brewing cone, plastic top, and a start up supply of Melitta #4 cone filters.
#64104 Product Dimensions: 8”W – 6”D – 9.75”H
Can be purchased from our Melitta Canada office by calling 1-800-565-4882.

Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.09.57 PM.png  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #176

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Aero Press is the best

This is what I use. Gives espresso like coffee or americano with a very simple setup.

https://aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

Here is a video

- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #177

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good work. A lot cheaper than the Melita stainless thermos and filter holder I found at the Melita Canada site. I found it nowhere else, but it's the best we've used ( other than the plastic Melita set we had ). Filter holder attaches to the thermos.
Can't find it now, or I'd post a link.

Searched my mail and found this:
10 stainless steel thermal manual coffeemaker, lid and carafe and filter cone, uses #4 paper filter, $49.99

True to the Melitta tradition, prepares 10 cups of coffee made the “Gourmet” way.
Stainless Steel Carafe holds 10 cups of hot coffee and keeps it warm for hours.
Ideal for use at home, office or college.
Heavy duty plastic filter cone and lid are BPA Free and top rack dishwasher safe.
Includes brewing cone, plastic top, and a start up supply of Melitta #4 cone filters.
#64104 Product Dimensions: 8”W – 6”D – 9.75”H
Can be purchased from our Melitta Canada office by calling 1-800-565-4882.

Yes. And, we have had other carafes, but over the years decided the Thermos really does better, and we already have it (and otherwise would not use it). Finding the plumbing collar that fits perfectly for < $4 (US) is our perfect solution - at least for now.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #178

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
OMG. I am so excited! After all these years of being tethered to the #4 Melitta brewing cone as it drips into our SS quart Thermos, Skip found "Charlotte": a drinking-water grade 3 > 2 reducing collar that will sit on top of the Thermos, so the the Melitta brewing cone can perch without the aid of hand holding.

Amazon sells a #6 Melitta cone that's designed to work with a Thermos, but 1) we already have the #4 (and it uses the same filters as the the coffeemaker in our house), and 2) I'm afraid the #6 cone won't fit where I want to store it in the Escape. So, after some discussion and gnashing of teeth, Skip went looking through the plumbing parts...and voila!
I also used to use the #6 Melitta into my SS quart thermos. After some thought about what was most important, I just drilled a hole into the top screw on cup so the filter would sit there. Now, I use the SS thermos to keep boxes from sliding into the aisle from under the bed in the 19 while traveling. Glad you found a solution as coffee is important! Latest is using a Nuvo Eco Ceramic Handy Coffee Bean Roaster to roast my beans.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #179

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Any coffee I don't have to make is always best!!! Did I say I do easy well. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #180

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Fresh Coffee on the road - no electric needed!
OK, I've finally got my coffee kit completed:
Roasting: Nuco Eco Handy Coffee Bean Roaster, Coleman Exponent Dual Fuel Stove & OXO Soft Works Strainer to cool beans after roasting.
Grinding: Porlex JP-30 SS Coffee Grinder
Brewing: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker + S Filter for Aeropress & just add hot water heated on the stove.
Just add green coffee beans and you'll never have to drink "old" coffee again!