Coffee, coffee, coffee! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Just had a great cup made "normal" style. I tried the inverted method last night and didn't like it as much, at least with this roast.

Thanks for the brightness tip Jim. I will stay away from the metal filters then.

Don, I just mix up the water and the grounds, then press.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #82

Went at a slight tangent to Jim's reco for the Hario mini and got a Porlex JP-30.

First impressions are positive -- grind seems very consistent, especially at finer grinds. Jim, I'll show you at the rally if you like.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Went at a slight tangent to Jim's reco for the Hario mini and got a Porlex JP-30.

First impressions are positive -- grind seems very consistent, especially at finer grinds. Jim, I'll show you at the rally if you like.
That's the one I use. Works great. About 3 minutes with the hopper full, and enough for two cups of coffee.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #84

OK, I see Ian is the one with the Hario (now that I looked harder).

Carry on.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:35 AM   #85

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
Greetings - - Has anyone had any experience with the 12v coffee machines ?

uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWilly View Post
Greetings - - Has anyone had any experience with the 12v coffee machines ?

uw
Good friends of ours had one, and ended up getting rid of it. They found that it took WAY too long to brew coffee, and was a fairly good draw on the battery, a big issue as we are always boondocking. Granted this was a few years ago before any of us did any kind of solar. The biggest drawback was, like most drip brewers of any voltage, is that the temperature of the water was not high enough for proper extraction, and it did not make very good coffee at all. Not sure of the brand.

Of all the folks I camp with, there is a variety of coffee making methods commonly used, including perk, French press, AeroPress (my favourite), pour over, cowboy coffee, and mocha pot. None of these require electricity, and properly done make a better cup of coffee than just about any electric brewer. And as a bonus, save your electricity for the more needed furnace fan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... and properly done make a better cup of coffee than just about any electric brewer...
And THAT is the main point. Others "mileage may vary", but percolated coffee to us is undrinkable. I was ruined for the common brewing methods in the US the very first time I went to Europe when I was 19. I'm sitting there drinking properly prepared coffee for the first time, saying to myself " so THAT is what its supposed to taste like."
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #88

Robert, if coffee is percolated properly, it can be very good. IMO most just do it wrong. What I suggest (and always do myself), is;
-make certain you use enough coffee. One heaping tablespoon per cup. Over extracting too little grounds to get it stronger just results in a bitter taste.
-once the coffee starts to perc, immediately turn it down to a point that there is just a very slow perc.
-only let it perc for no more than 3 minutes. And further and you will just start to extract unwanted acidity from the grounds. Again, do not over peculate, or get bitter coffee.
-then, pour all the coffee into cups to drink, and if any is left over, put it into a carafe. DO NOT let it sit with heat under it.

This is far from my favourite method of extraction, but done with care can be quite acceptable, and having a big pot will let you serve to lots of people. For two of us, I just would never consider it. In fact, I have made a dozen (or more) cups in the morning for us and friends, using my AeroPress, making only two cups at a time. I can still socialize while doing so, and usually hand the grinder to one of my guests to do the hard work.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #89
Site Team

I agree Jim that if you use the right technique then any method will yield decent results. Yours sounds a lot like the European pressure brew methods I've seen. I was referring to the traditional "plug it in and let it boil" method (usually with MJB or Folgers from a can) that I grew up seeing. I'm sorry but YUCK.

To partially plagiarize a phrase from one of my favorite authors Douglas Adams, that method results in a "dull brown liquid that tastes almost, but not quite, entirely unlike coffee."
Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
(usually with MJB or Folgers from a can)
If you insist on talking like like that on this forum, I will have to request the site team ban you. There is no call for such foul talk.

With the European pressure method, are you referring to what is also called stove top espresso, using one of these pots?

I use one of these mocha pots quite a bit, my second most used method after the Areopress. I usually drink it Americano style, or add some whipped milk for a cappuccino. Sometimes I drink it straight out of the pot too. This method produces a much heavier, but wonderfully intense flavour coffee. It also has a wonderful aftertaste to it too. I roast the coffee a bit darker than I would for other extracting methods.

And interesting titbit (for those who don't know), is that the term for Americano coffee came from during WW2, when America troops when drinking this Italian stovetop coffee, had to water it down to suit there pallet, and what they were more used to.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #91

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I bought a stove top espresso maker like that years ago from a $ dtore for the Boler! Works pretty darn good for a $5 machine...
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
If you insist on talking like like that on this forum, I will have to request the site team ban you. There is no call for such foul talk.
My apologies for even mentioning the accursed Folgers or MJB

Quote:
With the European pressure method, are you referring to what is also called stove top espresso, using one of these pots?
Yes, that is one of them. True about the name 'Cafe Americano' too. It was their way of saying "make a milder cup. These Americans can't handle ours." Me, I just think a dark rich cup of full flavored coffee is one of life's greatest pleasures.

When my Mom watches me make coffee, she usually has an astonished look on her face and follows it with "why do you use so much?"
Old 01-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Bialetti is the classic Italian coffeemaker brand. I have a cheap unit of this type. I was in a restaurant recently which sells some Italian groceries and related items, and saw that they had an "American style" coffee maker from Bialetti. This seemed like a bizarre concept, so I had a look: it's a percolator!
Bialetti Amerikana
Not for me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #94
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Bialetti is the classic Italian coffeemaker brand. I have a cheap unit of this type. I was in a restaurant recently which sells some Italian groceries and related items, and saw that they had an "American style" coffee maker from Bialetti. This seemed like a bizarre concept, so I had a look: it's a percolator!
Bialetti Amerikana
Not for me.
Not for me either Brian. At home we use a Newco OCS-12. It definitely won't be used for camping however, since it's pretty tall, and uses 1400 Watts of power. It has a very thick 'server type' 3 prong plug coming out of it and it is quite loud while brewing. There is nothing wrong with the Drip Method, provided the coffee maker has enough power to brew at adequate temperatures and water flow - and this one does. For camping we are going to follow Jim's and other advice and use the AeroPress.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #95

Quote:
My apologies for even mentioning the accursed Folgers or MJB

When my Mom watches me make coffee, she usually has an astonished look on her face and follows it with "why do you use so much?"
You are forgiven....this time. Just don't let it happen again, m'kay?

Yeah, too many people try to squeeze everything outta their coffee, and the resultant is almost always a bitter cup. No different over steeping most teas too.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Instructions for the Melita filter ( which I don't have at hand ) said to bring water to boil, then let it cool down for a couple minutes before pouring over grounds.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Instructions for the Melita filter ( which I don't have at hand ) said to bring water to boil, then let it cool down for a couple minutes before pouring over grounds.
That makes sense. Optimal brewing temperature for the pour over method is about 90-93 C / 195-200 F, and since water boils at 100 C / 212 F (at least in the Vancouver area - at or near Sea Level), it should cool down a bit before brewing.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #98

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
That makes sense. Optimal brewing temperature for the pour over method is about 90-93 C / 195-200 F, and since water boils at 100 C / 212 F, it should cool down a bit before brewing.
Unless you are in Leadville, CO at 10,000'. Then it is tough to get water over 190°F!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unless you are in Leadville, CO at 10,000'. Then it is tough to get water over 190°F!
Great minds think alike Jon...lol. I was editing my original post when you typed this...
Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #100

amazon.ca has the aeropress on for $31, which as far as I know, has been its lowest for the past year. Certainly recently with the Loonie being crippled.

Lightning deal, limited time and quantity.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0047BIWSK