*Dynamat then Reflectix then Thinsulate - ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question *Dynamat then Reflectix then Thinsulate - ?

Hi all - plenty of very smart people here... so posting this question.

Love our 21' Escape... but may end up selling it and moving to a van.

I'm researching sound and thermal control - the best approach.

Looking to maybe buy a van (likely 2019 or 2020 Transit) and hire a company to do a minimal build in.

I dont have the time or the skills to do it.

I’m researching the best way to dampen sound as much as possible, and also thermally keep heat out, and also keep cold out.

How about - From gas pedals to back, Visors to back. B pillars to back.

First (outer) later = Dynamat

plus Reflectix - same areas.

plus 3M Thinsulate - same areas.

Is the Reflectix a good idea?

If I use all three… should the Reflectix be next to the Dynamat ….or should the 3M Thinsulate be next to the Dynamat, with the Reflectix on the inside?

I have read that the Dynamat is a really good option for noise dampening…. does not dry out… works well… but am open to suggestion.

also - is this combo good for both walls + ceiling but also the FLOOR ?

thanks.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

Trailer: none
John,

You may want to check out Bob Well's YouTube channel and blog. He lives full-time in a van and has lots of helpful info.

Here is one video you may be interested in:

His blog:

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Van insulation

John, about 1975 I bought a new Ford E-150 and built it for the 4 of us. I used stryro foam sheets and glued them to the interior walls and then the wood paneling was screwed to the ribs. With double thickness of carpet pad and of course shag carpet on the floor we had a place for everyone to sleep. Nancy and I got the fold out couch and the kids slept on the floor. All of this new stuff wasn't available, but one layer of steel, 1 &1/2 or 2 inches of styrofoam and a layer of wood and it was very comfortable in the mountains and the beaches year around. I put a fresh water tank under the van and a removable cab with a sink and quick disconnect to the water and the kids could study a US map embedded on the table, good luck with your project.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The aluminized bubble wrap (Reflectix or similar) seems pointless to me. I would rather use the thickness and installation effort on a more effective material. It would certainly be inappropriate for use on top on the floor (and would likely be ineffective under the floor).

Dynamat is great in specific applications (typically automotive floors and firewalls), but I doubt that the entire area of the walls is one of those applications. The stuff is solid rubber (not foam) with an aluminum foil cover, so it is heavy and it is probably not particularly effective as thermal insulation. If you need it for noise reduction, I assume that it would be suitable on the floor.

Thinsulate is intended for clothing, in which both flexibility and moisture permeability are important, but I don't see how either is a benefit in the van.

How about the closed-cell poly foam sheet that Escape is now using, at least for the walls?
If you are using plywood sheets on the floor, over the insulation, then there are grades of extruded polystyrene foam (such as Styrofoam) which are intended for this sort of use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
3/8" EVA Foam interlocking exercise mats (We Sell Mats) on Amazon are flexible come in a lot of different colors and are light weight, and probably good for thermal and sound insulation. I bought a package of 6 each 2 X 2 ft. interlocking mats at Costco for $16.99. These mats are 3/4 inch thick and I have several on the floor of my 5.0TA. They are warm and easy to remove for cleaning.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
Sprayed-in polyurethane is good for insulation and sound deadening. Then you just need to decide what you would like to cover it with. It does need to be protected from UV.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
John, You might want to contact Santiago on this forum to see what he's doing (or has done) with his van conversion. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...eam-11487.html
He's a great source of ideas and know-how and should be well on his way already doing the same thing you're contemplating but with a Ram.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote