French toast - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
It tastes just like ketchup on eggs, don't tell me you haven't had ketchup on eggs. Mmmm a fried egg sandwich with mayonnaise on one side and ketchup on the other. I'm getting hungry.
That's funny. My American relatives blanch when I put ketchup on my eggs.

As for my fried egg sandwich lunch, mayo; yes, ketchup; never, I've always used Frenchs' mustard. Ymm

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can see some fried bread having the taste of an egg sandwich and using ketchup, but the french version of fried bread is sweeter, with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, milk or even better, egg nog with raisin bread as the base. So there are a lot of variations, just like poutine, eh?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can see some fried bread having the taste of an egg sandwich and using ketchup, but the french version of fried bread is sweeter, with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, milk or even better, egg nog with raisin bread as the base. So there are a lot of variations, just like poutine, eh?
Yeah, maybe the disconnect is in how you define French toast. Mine has a touch of vanilla, cinnamon, and sometimes a dash of nutmeg. Ketchup just doesn't go with that, but some pure Canadian maple syrup sure does.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Ketchup should not go on anything, period. I have seen it put on eggs. Makes me throw up a little in the back of my throat. Why use it when there are sooooo many other great sauces to be bought or made? What is ketchup, 90% sugar and 10% tomato? One of many types of salsa (heated) on eggs sounds much better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... Yes "Pain perdue" is french just like poutine!!! Translates to lost bread, and its a great way to revive stale bread and use up any leftover egg nog. The eggy mix also helps with the hang over effect.
In our house the cook always got the last two pieces out of the pan. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ketchup should not go on anything, period. I have seen it put on eggs. Makes me throw up a little in the back of my throat. Why use it when there are sooooo many other great sauces to be bought or made? What is ketchup, 90% sugar and 10% tomato? One of many types of salsa (heated) on eggs sounds much better.
You'd love my wife's salsa on eggs, Jim. Straight from Jalisco. Serrano, Jalapeño, Tomatillo, garlic, onion, cilantro, salt... Yum. At least, those are the ingredients I remember. She does have some secrets.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
French toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You'd love my wife's salsa on eggs, Jim. Straight from Jalisco. Serrano, Jalapeño, Tomatillo, garlic, onion, cilantro, salt... Yum. At least, those are the ingredients I remember. She does have some secrets.

Sooo are there any houses for sale close to you Robert [emoji6]. That would be excellent for breakfast with beans and rice.
Cheers
Doug
Old 12-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You have me sold. Tell Yolanda we will be over for breakfast sometime soon.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Sooo are there any houses for sale close to you Robert [emoji6]. That would be excellent for breakfast with beans and rice.
Cheers
Doug
Doug, there are plenty. And, they're cheap. Summer is a bit on the hot side though.
Quote:
You have me sold. Tell Yolanda we will be over for breakfast sometime soon.
Cmon down..
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'm pretty sure that poutine is French only in language, not nationality, originating in Quebec and not France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As for my fried egg sandwich lunch... I've always used Frenchs' mustard. Ymm
That's just weird!

Quote:
I think that's "French" toast, the way Chicago deep-dish pizza is "Italian" food... good stuff, but not necessarily much like the original (which didn't even necessarily have egg, in the case of pain perdu). Eggnog cinnamon raisin toast does sound good...

It's a good thing that cooking continually changes, building on tradition but not being bound to it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In my young years my mother would cook for our landlord, a jewish gentleman named "Rude" and make fried bread which was stale heels dipped in an egg wash and fried in Crisco, sometimes it was rye bread, but we called it fried bread.
Did not learn about french toast until I took french lessons much later in life.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
All of this talk about syrup made me pick up some molasses. My grandparents used to make it by the gallon. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

That's just weird!
Not to me. My mother made me a fried egg sandwich with mayo and mustard when I was a kid. Still one of my favorites, I have one every couple of weeks for lunch.

Quote:
Ketchup should not go on anything, period. I have seen it put on eggs. Makes me throw up a little in the back of my throat.
If you're ever at a get together with me I'll be sure to wander by with added ketchup on my hamburger and my fries.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If you're ever at a get together with me I'll be sure to wander by with added ketchup on my hamburger and my fries.

Ron
It would be fine with the burgers and fries, especially if nothing else is available. But eggs, no way. Some put it on Mac and Cheese too (like my wife) which is gross too.