Gimpy People - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Gimpy People

OK, so it seems like a lot of Escape Owners have trouble getting into and out of the beds, climbing the step getting into the trailer and actually hiking or doing anything other than sitting in nice lawn chairs all day at their camp sites. I have been slowly joining this group of people; medial meniscus damage on both achy knees, issues with bulging discs in my lower (lumbar) spine and several bulging discs in my upper (cervical) spine. Also wrist arthritis in both wrists and maybe some shoulder pain which pales in comparison to my knees and back. I just started doing something about it. In my home town there is a medical practice which is a pioneer in orthopedic stem cell injections and a new field called Interventional Orthopedics.

Today I got the first of several treatments during the next week and I am willing to post what is going on with my treatment. I won't list the practice but if people are interested I can post more information later.

Today I got the first treatment called prolotherapy on my knees. The doctor, using ultrasound and X Ray fluoroscope injected a dextrose solution into my transverse ligaments, meniscus, ACL and PCL (both knees). He also removed excess fluid from both knees and are using the synovial fluid in a clinical trial. The injection causes inflammation which causes scar tissue which is a connective tissue somewhat similar to but NOT the kind of connective tissue which ligaments are formed of. They compare this to "tilling the soil" prior to planting the seeds. On Thursday afternoon I will get stem cells removed from my hip (iliac crest) and they will be separated and mixed up into some kind of witches brew and then injected into the same ligaments, cartilage, etc. that got injected today. I will walk out of there wearing two beefy unloader braces (used by NFL players) which I will need to wear for at least 6 weeks. Medical insurance pays for the MRI, braces, PRP injections, physical therapy but NOT the stem cell procedure which will cost me around $9300.00 for the two knees and my wrists if there are enough stem cells left over after the knee procedure. Each knee needs 400million stem cells.

I'll post more information but this is all intended to make me a better user of my Escape Trailer (just to keep this on topic) so I can hook and unhook my Escape Trailer and climb up the massive stairway getting into and out of the bed of my Escape Trailer which by the way I really love.

This procedure may make it more difficult for me to attend the Oregon Nog in South Beach on October 4 but I haven't cancelled my reservations yet and if I do my wife will be out her round trip flight to Portland also so I still want to do the trip. If I do make the trip I will be the old guy wearing massive leg braces and carrying hiking poles but NOT sitting around all day in a chair. And I'll be bringing my 2017 Escape 5.0 TA which, by the way I really love. (nothing off topic here)
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Hope it all goes well and it all gives you more mobility with less pain! Give yourself some time to heal up. A physical therapy "plan of exercises" to do as you recover can really help you regain strength a lot sooner.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

PAIN IS GOOD! Well, anyway immunosuppressants are bad so no NSAIDS like aspirin, advil, motrin, celebrex, Statin drugs, ACE Inhibitors, cortisol and a long list of other drugs. Some Tylenol is OK and I have a prescription for Percoset for right after the procedure but less is more with that kind of stuff.

Inflammation is good because it is the healing process after stem cell and PRP therapy so any medicine which inhibits inflammation is not good for the growth of the stem cells. Tumeric is recommended as well as omega 3 found in fish oils.

On Thursday I am also getting PRP injections into my back. Platelet Rich Plasma and Platelet Lysate will be produced by drawing blood and centrifuge to separate the red blood cells, most of the plasma and then collecting the platelets. Some of that will be crushed into a goo (Lysate) and then injected into my spinal discs, ligaments and the terrible looking stuff surrounding my arthritic spine bones. The idea around this is that they will stimulate healing, tighten up ligaments and heal bulging discs (or at least help things out some) and also stimulate my body production of stem cells in that area. This practice doesn't do stem cell injections in the spinal area and also doesn't do the prolotherapy there either. I assume things are too close to the spinal fluid so lots of inflammation in that area may not be good. I'm just speculating here. PRP and PL injections are covered by insurance and lots of athletes have been getting them for many years. My insurance covers this so I am happy. I will get blood drawn tomorrow afternoon for the PRP treatments and on Thursday get all the bones lubed and polished. Thursday afternoon I'll walk out of there wearing Berg knee braces. I refuse to be carried out on a stretcher. Because then I would have a difficult time using my Escape Trailer which, by the way I really love.

Since inflammation is good there will be some pain and I can use tylenol and heat but not ice packs. I assume septic shock, a ghastly high fever and/or festering boils would be cause for calling the doctor but not the normal aches and pains because they are a good sign that inflammation is working to create stem cells and promote healing. The healing will go on for months but it won't be a constant pain. I should be able to use my Escape Trailer, which by the way, I really love within a week or two as long as I wear the leg braces for at least 6 weeks.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

I can eat Poutine but I need to limit my consumption of carbs to keep my blood sugar down so I may order the Poutine with just two fries and a lot of meat and au juice instead of gravy.

While I consider myself a basket case orthopedically I do manage to go hiking every week and on Sunday I did two miles near Rabbit Ears Mountain and another two miles in Steamboat Springs with a soak in the hot springs pool on Sunday evening and Monday afternoon. Figured it couldn't hurt since I'll be stove up for a few weeks after the procedure. Today the doctor sucked a lot of fluid out of both my knees and now I feel like Tigger. No pain and the rubbery feeling is gone. My back still aches but it doesn't feel nearly as bad as the description of my MRIs.

If I was my MRIs the words degenerate, degenerative proliferation and cyst would be the most common description of me. I wouldn't even be worthy of Poutine.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Interesting for sure

I'm told how young I am all the time but why in the last few years do I feel so old? I was diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago at first just a weird feeling in my left hand, thought it was carpal tunnel related but after test found out nope I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I used to hike 20-25 miles a week, lift weights 3 days a week but now do very little of either and boy can I tell by how my body shape has changed. LOL I just turned 56, I was really looking forward to about 15 years of living on the road starting around 60 but now wonder if that will be possible as my hands and feet bother me more and more.
I have a friend who is from the Ukraine and her husband is from Indonesia, they are more into herbal remedies for things like this so think I'm about to give that a try. She has issues with RA as well but said once she started the regiment she is on she has felt much better.
Sending all positive get well karma in your direction.

Feel better, safe travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can not stop father time, seems like when you have the time and money you can not enjoy it as much as you would like due to health. Good luck with the treatments, I'm sticking with my beer and bowling routine for now.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
This is why I go to a trainer twice a week and do weight and mobility training. My wife’s family heredity shows great longevity including mentally but lousy mobility. So we are fighting NOW. Meanwhile we watch friends who can longer climb stairs without assistance and do the side to side weaving shuffle step walk. Of course I am not comparing basic mobility challenges with RA.

So far the weight training has greatly reduced my chronic back problems.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I'm told how young I am all the time but why in the last few years do I feel so old? I was diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago at first just a weird feeling in my left hand, thought it was carpal tunnel related but after test found out nope I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I used to hike 20-25 miles a week, lift weights 3 days a week but now do very little of either and boy can I tell by how my body shape has changed. LOL I just turned 56, I was really looking forward to about 15 years of living on the road starting around 60 but now wonder if that will be possible as my hands and feet bother me more and more.
I have a friend who is from the Ukraine and her husband is from Indonesia, they are more into herbal remedies for things like this so think I'm about to give that a try. She has issues with RA as well but said once she started the regiment she is on she has felt much better.
Sending all positive get well karma in your direction.

Feel better, safe travels,

Steve
I can relate to this. At 67 I still bike 80 miles a week, lift, and back country ski all winter. I regularly get asked if I am in my 50's yet, and still I got diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica last year. A year long taper of Prednisone seems to have knocked the PMR out. I wish you could look forward to a similar outcome.
My point is that at our age you can still have medical issues, even with a healthy lifestyle.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
You can’t beat the clock. Best you can hope for is slow it down.👍
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Good luck with the stem cell treatment. I've seen full page ads in the newspaper for it and had wondered about anyone getting it. I hope it works for you. That way you can keep using your Escape trailer. Which, by the way, I've heard you really love.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Steve,
Thank you for sharing this and you are in our prayers to find some solutions to the chromic pain and mobility issues.
I have a similar experience having been diagnosed with a rare arthritis when I was 32. It went into remission but came back 5 years ago at 57. I too am in the journey to find solutions to keep my pain levels and mobility at a manageable level.
You need to be so thankful that you appear to have insurance to pursue what you are pursuing, I’m not so lucky.
You bring up some good trailer issues that over the years here I’ve tried to share as well with folks who are trying to decide on which model. It may not seem like much to pick a bigger trailer when ur health is OK, but things like washing, waxing, stairs, maintenance all get more demanding when the health goes south.
If you would like to pm me, I’d be very interested in following your progress with these treatments.
God bless.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: SFDavis50... A wise person once said "Getting older isn't for sissies". All the more reason for getting an RV while you can still use it!!! Sounds like the Dr's are using WD40 for your aches and pains. Hope it benefits you. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I can eat Poutine but I need to limit my consumption of carbs to keep my blood sugar down so I may order the Poutine with just two fries and a lot of meat and au juice instead of gravy.

While I consider myself a basket case orthopedically I do manage to go hiking every week and on Sunday I did two miles near Rabbit Ears Mountain and another two miles in Steamboat Springs with a soak in the hot springs pool on Sunday evening and Monday afternoon. Figured it couldn't hurt since I'll be stove up for a few weeks after the procedure. Today the doctor sucked a lot of fluid out of both my knees and now I feel like Tigger. No pain and the rubbery feeling is gone. My back still aches but it doesn't feel nearly as bad as the description of my MRIs.

If I was my MRIs the words degenerate, degenerative proliferation and cyst would be the most common description of me. I wouldn't even be worthy of Poutine.
Just caught my attention when you mentioned Steamboat Springs . Did the soak in the springs last Thursday and stayed for a week at Steamboat springs . Was a new adventure for us 👍🏻Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i did stem cell treatment for my horse after his surgery not sure it helped but i think he was miss diagnosed. I am getting some kind of injections in my SI joint next week. The pain has really been slowing me down. Planning on fox hunting (no animals actually chased or harmed) this winter and riding 3 -4 hours often at a fast pace all winter. I fell off my horse a couple weeks ago and broke a rib making everything i do more difficult but its finally healing - yes i was riding bareback at night on the beach and my horse spooked and some liqueur was involved but i did have cloths on so i am growing up a bit....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Fox Hunt, your post gave me my morning giggle, thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
While we are on the topic of health problems, here is a little bit of my story. A year ago In July, I was diagnosed with a rare bone marrow disease. This was treated with platlets and blood transfusions and this Spring I was well enough to go farming for 3 weeks.

This July, a routine lab test showed this had progressed into accute myeloid lukemia. I was told to start treatment immediatly or have only 3 weeks to live. After some new experimental drugs and 5 weeks in an isolation unit, I am now in remission.

The next step they want to do is a stem cell transplant to put it away fo good.

We agonized a lot about selling the trailer, but with than gone so is a lot of hope. I’m looking forward to farming and camping next spring. I have a few weeks coming up in the hospital again but after going through the chemo, i’ll handle it. Loren.
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #17

all the best to you ! tough road ahead but hopefully you will be camping and farming next spring!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
A quick footnote to my story. The only one on this forum aware of my sickness was Iowa Dave, and last fall he so generously offered to come down and help me get the trailer in storage or any other help I might have needed. That is the kind of people that are on this forum. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #19

It warms my heart to hear that! Many years ago I had stage three breast cancer my friends/family really supported me. I was and am very thankful for the people in my life.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just caught my attention when you mentioned Steamboat Springs . Did the soak in the springs last Thursday and stayed for a week at Steamboat springs . Was a new adventure for us 👍🏻Pat
Steamboat Springs is a three hour drive for me. I have camped several times up at Rabbit Ears in the Dumont Lake Campground. Several good hiking trails and they are at 10,000 ft. altitude. We missed the Sandhill Cranes this year, hope you saw them. Also there is a new Alpine Coaster which I want to try but I totally forgot about it this trip. I'll have to go back soon. I go to the downtown pool mostly. There is a beautiful hike up the Hot Springs trail to Strawberry Hot Springs, though.