Goodyear G159 - the lid is finally coming off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Goodyear G159 - the lid is finally coming off

Selling a lower speed cargo tire on motorhomes is one thing, but what Goodyear did when it wound up killing people is despicable.

https://jalopnik.com/how-goodyear-hi...1822200424/amp
Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Selling a lower speed cargo tire on motorhomes is one thing, but what Goodyear did when it wound up killing people is despicable.

Just finished reading. Really glad when we replaced our tires didn't consider their Endurance tires . That was only because it was a new tire . Now I wouldn't even consider them for tire replacement . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder if the tires were marked and note 65 mph limit? I would not want to go that fast in one of those monsters but I guess once you hit 65, 75 feels just as safe.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

I applaud Kurtz for fighting the giant on behalf of the victims, but this article excerpt below is why I don't have any friends that are lawyers. Not sure how they look themselves in the mirror.

"Part of that has to do with Goodyear’s aggressive effort to settle cases, handled by company attorneys who withheld crucial data from plaintiffs, according to a federal judge's ruling. In each case, judges signed off on protective orders that allowed Goodyear to designate crucial documents, testimony and internal data as “confidential,” and the decisions meant victims of G159 tire failures couldn’t disclose any of that information to other victims with similar claims or regulators."
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Site Team

You got that right Dave. My thing about attorneys is they don't advocate for the truth, they advocate for their client. Nice if you're on the client end, but not if you're the client's victim.

Attorneys aside however, a corporation has to know when to do the right thing and bite the bullet, despite lawyer advice.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I understand now, it is the confidential settlements that keep the public in the dark. These "confidential" agreements should not be allowed in the public courts system, recent cases reveal that. It basically allows the immoral activity to continue.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if the tires were marked and note 65 mph limit? I would not want to go that fast in one of those monsters but I guess once you hit 65, 75 feels just as safe.
When the highway speed limits were raised they simply uprated the tires to 75 MPH from 65 MPH. Without changing anything.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I have the new Goodyear Endurance tires and am happy with them and believe I would have bought them even if I'd read this before purchase. My feeling is that Goodyear has cleaned up their act somewhat by at least not making any more "China bomb" trailer tires, and focussing on building a quality tire in the USA.

Although it is disappointing to read of how Goodyear tries to squeeze out of responsibility for their poor G159 tires - what's the idea of suddenly stating they are now 75mph tires after speed limits were raised - I do believe that their claim of owner neglect can also be a factor. For example this quote from the article...

"Here’s one driver who bought a motorhome in 2012 with G159s. NHTSA’s most recent complainant on file relays “three separate incidents” with the tire in 2010 “where the sidewalls blow out.” The G159 is readily available to buy online, if you know where to look."

The driver buying a motorhome in 2012, at least asked a forum about tire dates - and found out the vehicle had tires made in 1998, fourteen year old tires! Hopefully he changed them right away. Also seeing that it's still possible to buy these G159's - unbelievable - if so you are buying at least a 15 year old tire since Goodyear stopped making them in 2003! The second part of the quote "three separate incidents" in 2010 means those tires were at least seven years old.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
In reading more about these G159 tires I came across this article published in 2012 which recommends replacing tires between six and ten years old. When written the very newest G159s were at least nine years old.
The Goodyear G159 RV Tire - Even More Dangerous With Age | Jere Beasley Report

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It's interesting how close this is to the situation as long experienced with travel trailers. Most "Special Trailer" tires are rated for only 65 mph, and are the cheapest and lowest-performance rubber doughnuts that some contracted factory in an Asian country can churn out... and people buy them, ignore the speed rating, overload them, underinflate them, run them at 75 mph, and have failures.

Of course, if some of the G159 were marked for 75 mph, customers can't be blamed for running them at that speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Motorhomes drive like other vehicles built on medium-duty truck and large bus chassis. 75 mph is not a problem for the vehicle; for one thing, they don't sway like a trailer. Having said that, I find about 110 to 115 km/h (70 mph) about as fast as I want to drive the motorhome, based on engine power required and fuel consumption.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
If you think about it....Goodyear isn't the only company to act like this when something goes wrong and their are fatalities. Some auto manufacturers are also guilty. Point being...hopefully the people injured or worse get compensated and the company improves. Doesn't fix what happened though.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
If you think about it....Goodyear isn't the only company to act like this when something goes wrong and their are fatalities. Some auto manufacturers are also guilty. Point being...hopefully the people injured or worse get compensated and the company improves. Doesn't fix what happened though.
True , but we can vote with our dollars . Maybe they will get it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
If you think about it....Goodyear isn't the only company to act like this when something goes wrong and their are fatalities. Some auto manufacturers are also guilty.
True. But, they usually pay a heavy price in the end for such conduct.

I also think if we weren't such a litigious society, perhaps companies would act more responsibly. When they operate in constant fear of lawsuits, they sometimes tend to hunker down rather than be open about a defect. Thing is, doing so only makes it worse once the whole truth comes out, as it inevitably does.

It isn't just in defective products where companies have a bunker mentality either. Remember the United Airlines PR debacle after a ticketed passenger was bloodied and taken off a plane? They were tone deaf for over a week before they finally issued a real apology and a plan of action. They lost thousands of customers needlessly. But at least in that case, nobody died.