Hobbies - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
There’s a really cool app by Cornell’s Ornithology Lab called Merlin Bird ID that’s free and easy to use. Provided you have a smartphone. Don’t think internet access is required once you download the database.
I strongly second this. It is a great free resource I use often!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I've spent a fair amount of time backpacking out west and the one thing I've never seen in the wild is a Grizzly bear so the idea of going somewhere just to look for those sounds like fun, I think. LOL GREAT PICTURE.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
In my days of backpacking and paddling in the back country, we have seen many bears, mostly black bears but a few beautiful grizzlies too. Never saw any when on ski trips as they were sleeping then. Never got too many shots though, and most you saw close were gone in a heartbeat, but still neat to see.

Here is a grizzly we saw from kayaks in Alaska in 2015, though we just paddled from a yacht we were cruising on. We glided in fairly close, maybe 150' away, and though he did watch us occasionally, he was much more interested in getting a bunch of grass to eat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1K8A1423.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	41978
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IMHO any hobby that keeps people physically moving is a good thing. Hiking, biking, plain ole walking. The older we get the more important it becomes. For whatever reason, we spend more time talking about food and beverages on this forum than 'activities.' It's unfortunate... It's one of the big reasons I like hanging out on the all-molded Facebook groups. Lots of pictures and descriptions of 'hikes,' my bucket list is growing.

My Dad once said that some people's hobby is... every time they bend their elbow, their mouth would fly open. In other words, eating. Eating is good, overeating is BAD. Bend those knees, not the elbow
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #84

Trailer: Jayco Whitehawk 2018
Build your family tree.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Observing wildlife on a daily basis is one of my retirement goals. Yesterday was the first day I saw farmers combining soybeans. I saw an operation on my way to get a load of black dirt for a project I’m working on. On the way back, the field was picked clean and only piles of bean chaff remained. Next to a chaff pile, a mature bald eagle was hopping along gobbling up fresh mice, shrews, voles and other small rodents which had been in the beans and had been combined up and screened out. Gotta be able to draw conclusions and catalog the mental picture. Ever pick up bales with a live snake bound in by the twine? They are mad.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
IMHO any hobby that keeps people physically moving is a good thing. Hiking, biking, plain ole walking. The older we get the more important it becomes. For whatever reason, we spend more time talking about food and beverages on this forum than 'activities.' It's unfortunate... It's one of the big reasons I like hanging out on the all-molded Facebook groups. Lots of pictures and descriptions of 'hikes,' my bucket list is growing.

My Dad once said that some people's hobby is... every time they bend their elbow, their mouth would fly open. In other words, eating. Eating is good, overeating is BAD. Bend those knees, not the elbow
I completely agree with what you say, Donna. The thing is, we all enjoy trailers, and we all need to eat, and while a good many do enjoy physical activity, a lot either don't or can't and seem to prefer not to discuss it. I personally love activities that tax my physical well being and get me sweating, all while maintaining, and maybe even improving to some degree, my health. Not that this is for everyone, but it is a desire for me.

I do love good eating too, just more closely watching what I consume. Darn alcohol is not great physically either, but boy does it taste good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm starting to see some changes happening in all-molded gatherings and events. Organized hikes, biking, kayaking/canoeing, morning yoga, etc. It's really great!

I'll never fault someone for their choices, it's called Free Will for a reason. For me, I'd whether wear out than rust out.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #88

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I've spent a fair amount of time backpacking out west and the one thing I've never seen in the wild is a Grizzly bear so the idea of going somewhere just to look for those sounds like fun, I think. LOL GREAT PICTURE.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
Thanks Steve.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #89

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In my days of backpacking and paddling in the back country, we have seen many bears, mostly black bears but a few beautiful grizzlies too. Never saw any when on ski trips as they were sleeping then. Never got too many shots though, and most you saw close were gone in a heartbeat, but still neat to see.

Here is a grizzly we saw from kayaks in Alaska in 2015, though we just paddled from a yacht we were cruising on. We glided in fairly close, maybe 150' away, and though he did watch us occasionally, he was much more interested in getting a bunch of grass to eat.

Attachment 41978

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #90

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I completely agree with what you say, Donna. The thing is, we all enjoy trailers, and we all need to eat, and while a good many do enjoy physical activity, a lot either don't or can't and seem to prefer not to discuss it. I personally love activities that tax my physical well being and get me sweating, all while maintaining, and maybe even improving to some degree, my health. Not that this is for everyone, but it is a desire for me.

I do love good eating too, just more closely watching what I consume. Darn alcohol is not great physically either, but boy does it taste good.
That Grizzly bear would keep me moving. Survival tip: Always make sure you’re not the slowest member of the group you’re hiking with.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #91

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A few things from the OP. First off, thanks all for the ideas.

I had thought about painting, or even drawing, not that I can do either, I'm a stick figure kind of guy. Maybe I'll look for a book or a web site for such.

We have a dog, it's a very little dog, all of 6 pounds. Took her out for her first camping trip last week. After going a couple years without you forget how much it limits what you can do. We're not leave her in the camper folks so she goes where we go. Having a dog with you sure takes up some of ones free time

Hiking is limited, due to the dog. She can do a couple miles then needs to get picked up. Still, we did 3 of these each day the weather was decent.
🤔They make some great pack type carriers for little dogs, some for front or back carry. You’ll get a little extra exercise and he’ll get a different view of the world.
Now my dog at 80 lbs might have to drag me home one of these days.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #92

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Survival tip #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
That Grizzly bear would keep me moving. Survival tip: Always make sure you’re not the slowest member of the group you’re hiking with.😎
If you are the slowest member of your hiking group carry a very heavy staff with you so if a quick getaway is needed you can hit the next slowest member across the knees and make your escape to your Escape.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #93

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Haven't been on here for so long.
Yes, it has been awhile. I do miss reading your posts.

We were sorry that you had to cancel the South Dakota rally, we were hoping to meet you there. Hope all is well.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
We have a dog, it's a very little dog, all of 6 pounds. Took her out for her first camping trip last week. After going a couple years without you forget how much it limits what you can do. We're not leave her in the camper folks so she goes where we go. Having a dog with you sure takes up some of ones free time.
Just an FYI to the many dog loving campers.
In the States, National Parks are not dog friendly places.
Your dog has to be on a leash at all times, and you are on a leash too. Your pet can not be left unattended, nor can the pet food be left unattended. No unattended pets in cars or at the campsites. And pets are not allowed anywhere a car can not go. Read: No pets on trails, even paved trails. These are harsh rules that catch many pet owners by surprise. I end up telling many campers that their cute little whatever will make a tasty treat for our javelinas, mountain lions, bobcats, and perhaps even bears.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #95

Yes, it is sad that in US National Parks that having a dog, even a well trained one, is hard to handle. There are lots of owners with poorly trained dogs that have made it bad for everyone, this is too bad. They have the odd single token trail open, usually one you would never walk otherwise. We have had to unfortunately just avoid going to them for the most part.

That said, I was very surprised at Joshua Tree NP earlier this year that there were quite a few trails dogs were allowed on. Our dogs enjoyed a few nice hikes. We also got free camping there, but the day we left the government shutdown was lifted so fees came back on.

Canadian National Parks allow dogs almost anywhere that a human can go, but always on a lead. Most park trails I have been on, usually the more outback ones, I have never seen any trouble with a dog. I don't really do much of the more "popular" trails as this is where the masses are anyway. Lots and lots of
Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #96

Trailer: Escape19 2016
Quote:
I need a new hobby, getting bored when I'm sitting around the camp, especially when we're inside. Can't carve inside, can't practice the uke, cause I'm lousy at it and I drive Deb bonkers, to say nothing of the neighbors. I read a lot, but I need something else too.

So what do you all do to pass the down time?

Embroidery! - while listening to British murder mysteries...
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:50 AM   #97
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're not weird at all But "a good cup of coffee" is subjective. We all like what we like, I've had coffee that others thought was terrific. Tasted like sludge to me.
Agree - I think Starbucks black coffee tastes like cr*p and is way too hot. No wonder people pay 5 bucks a cup to taste like something else. McDonalds is great!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #98

Trailer: 2019 5.0 Escape
Metal detecting!

Buy a metal detector! Start with a reasonably priced one - if it doesn't work out, then you can sell it to someone. It's a hobby that might make you money! Or at least find you a few interesting baubles to gawk at.
TNLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #99

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLynn View Post
Buy a metal detector! Start with a reasonably priced one - if it doesn't work out, then you can sell it to someone. It's a hobby that might make you money! Or at least find you a few interesting baubles to gawk at.
Be careful where you use a metal detector. They are prohibited in some places.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #100

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I expect they'd frown if I walked around the Gettysburg battle field with one and a trowel.