Hobbies - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Since I never catch anything I never get a license, no bait neither, just beer and no license is needed for that. On edit, except in Tennessee you have to have a license to purchase your beer or they will not sell it.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
What’s wrong with that
Right on! What's wrong with that?

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since I never catch anything I never get a license, no bait neither, just beer and no license is needed for that.
Put a hook in the water and you're fishing, no matter how badly you are doing it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Depending on ownership status it is sometimes possible to fish private ponds without a state issued license. In addition, if you sign up for DNR websites here in the states you will become aware of free fishing days where no license is needed. States are eager to sell licenses these days. In addition, in my state, Iowa, sells lifetime hunting, fishing and fur harvester licenses. My $50 fishing license cost a little initially but I’m ahead of the game now and not looking back. I usually have a takedown rod and reel along when camping in Iowa. I do have to buy a trout stamp but at 12 bucks or so I figure I’m do in ok when I get a couple limits a year. If you have or had a hobby that you pursued when you had a permanent residence, with a little research you can find like minded individuals or clubs as you travel which are generally welcoming at their events. Nothing like going to a meat shoot at a public trapshooting facility in the fall and winning a nice ham. Of course you have to be able to get the job done. There’s nothing better than going to a fur harvester Rendezvous about this time of year and going to the fish fry or pot luck on Friday or Saturday night. Stop at a local grocery store and pick up a couple bags of potato chips for your donation and the kids will follow you to the food table like you’re the pied piper. I’ve done all these things for years, not always as a traveler but I will drive some miles to participate and still do on occasion. In addition if you collect anything check our the estate auctions where you’re going to be camped. Never know what might be there that you can’t live without and auctions are basically free. If there’s a buyers premium, you won’t see me there. Antique and classic car shows are common in the upper Midwest from spring though about Labor Day. Usually free too. Broaden your interests and you will meet some fine people.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #25

Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When I fish I drink, when I drink I do not catch any fish, end of story.
Hi Jim,
You need to start fishing for fish that seriously attack bait. Buy a $200 rod and reel and when the fish starts to dragging your rig towards the water I guarantee you’ll get sober in a hurry. Had to get out of my chair and move about as fast as I could to get this old girl a couple weeks ago. That’s an Abu Garcia 6500 Catfish Pro Rocket made in Sweden with Suffix braid on an 8 ‘ “Tow Truck” glow in the dark E glass rod. In my daughter’s back yard in Indiana. No license needed.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
132A401C-BC4B-4F87-B8AA-6669CC69201E.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Drink.
You are disqualified from the forum for being honest.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Oh hell keep playing the uke you’ll get better
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:07 AM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... can't practice the uke, cause I'm lousy at it and I drive Deb bonkers, to say nothing of the neighbors.
Like other similar stringed instruments, there are electric ukuleles, which make little sound without amplification, and can be played for practice (which you apparently need ) or personal enjoyment with headphones instead of a speaker. That should be quiet enough to at least address the concern with neighbors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Hobbies

Conceive and execute daring new mods, then post about them here.

Take up lockpicking. Never know when it can come in handy.

Or if you really want to fill up your time: children. Yours, the children of your children, or some on temporary loan.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Interesting question for sir. Not sure your personality type so not sure if you prefer athletic things or more hands on mind type things. But here is what I think:

1. If you make it drinking, you'll probably do more sleeping and I know some people that sing more when their drinking so maybe more singing. Iowa Dave? LOL

2. Your rig, anything still left you want do to it that you would enjoy doing while camping and it would be ok to do there?

3. Harmonica, easy to carry and probably easier to learn then the uke.

4. Building models, once you get finished with them you can either give to grandkids or leave at campground for someone else to enjoy.

5. Bird watching.

6. Disc Golf, ever try that? One of the fastest growing sports in america and dgcoursereview.com great resource for courses near you. Free to play 90% of the time, does not take much to get started and even if you play by yourself still enjoyable and some decent exercise.

7. Again not sure what you like to do but learn some magic skills, get a deck of cards and learn tricks you can do, maybe a little magic kit and fine tune your craft so when you are at a gathering you can entertain others.

8. Do some volunteering, do some research before you leave and since if any churches, the campground or organizations could use a hand.

9. See if you can take some kind of class on line in something that interest you.

10. Start a blog or a You Tube Channel, I bet this would keep you busy, even if its just something for friends and family to see. Who knows you make interesting enough content could turn into $$$$.

11. If your handy maybe you meet some of your neighbor campers and mention anything on your rig I can help you with?

11. Last but not least, read this forum, enough content hear to keep you busy for a long time.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #31

Birds

Hi Steve
I like watching birds. I watched a couple in Osyooos for two days. They were catching bugs on the ground next to our camper. I did not have my book along so I did not know what they were exactly. Len (Old Fulica) on this forum came along. Knowing he was very proficient in bird I.d. I pointed them out. They were Say’s Phoebe which to my knowledge I’d never seen before. They could see bugs in the grass about the size of a baby grasshopper from about 40 feet away, swoop down, pick them off and be back on their perch spot in less time than it takes me to message this.
Hope to see you again this fall.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Steve
I like watching birds. I watched a couple in Osyooos for two days. They were catching bugs on the ground next to our camper. I did not have my book along so I did not know what they were exactly. Len (Old Fulica) on this forum came along. Knowing he was very proficient in bird I.d. I pointed them out. They were Say’s Phoebe which to my knowledge I’d never seen before. They could see bugs in the grass about the size of a baby grasshopper from about 40 feet away, swoop down, pick them off and be back on their perch spot in less time than it takes me to message this.
Hope to see you again this fall.
Iowa Dave

There’s a really cool app by Cornell’s Ornithology Lab called Merlin Bird ID that’s free and easy to use. Provided you have a smartphone. Don’t think internet access is required once you download the database.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #33

Remember those old Cornell bird song identification records? We used to have a couple when I was a kid. We listened to them just like they were music.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #34

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We geocache as we travel. A smartphone free app will get you started. Hiking, walking, swimming, bicycling, and reading fill in more down time,
Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Fishing can be a useful skill. Years ago when I was researching RVs I found a blog by two women who were living in a Lazy Daze motorhome. In one posting they had been fishing on the Washington coast. They cleaned their fish then canned it, storing it in the motorhome for future meals. Seemed like a good way to save money on food and eat well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I need a new hobby, getting bored when I'm sitting around the camp, especially when we're inside. Can't carve inside, can't practice the uke, cause I'm lousy at it and I drive Deb bonkers, to say nothing of the neighbors. I read a lot, but I need something else too.

So what do you all do to pass the down time?
I've been told a few times that if I did this or that the time would pass faster. I have always replied " Take a good look at me. Do I look like I want time to pass faster?"
Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not that I would be interested, but if I was to try han radio, I would have to camp alone.

Fishing now, for some reason Lisa pushes me to go out and do this and leave her all by herself.
For quieter ham radio, I use a headset so all Jennifer hears is my occasional voice. I also sometimes use a "digital mode" so all she hears is my typing on my laptop. And if the weather cooperates, I can always move my rig outside. Then I can disturb other campers with my voice. Sometimes, people are interested and want to know what I am doing, which leads to other conversations.

Bill KM6BYD
Old 09-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Hiking and photography

We combine our love of travel and camping with hiking and photography. That way, we stay motivated to get out and see new things and get a visual reminder of all the interesting places we have visited. After post processing in Photoshop and Lightroom, I put the best ones up on my Flickr site for the world to see.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #39

Trailer: E 21 2018
We hike, look up new birds, explore the areas we're camped in. I took some needlework on my last 2 week trip and didn't open it up at all! I do like to read, but it's usually in the morning with my tea or in the evening before bed. In our camp 5:00 pm is beer/wine o'clock.
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I think my 1st new hobby will be learning to make coffee. Currently use a keurig at home and, make sure you are sitting down, instant Folgers when on the road, keep in mind I spent the last 40 years drinking vending machine coffee. We drink a lot of it so this should suck up some time.

Does an Aeropress make coffee or expresso? don't care for expresso.