Home based campsites - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 wildcat 29bhbp
Home based campsites

Hi folks, in the midst of working towards our plan to purchase a new escape and getting input from others on which model, another camping question hit my mind that I wanted feedback on. Do any of you have home based campsites that you have or use for family to visit with, and friends. We have a farm on a high range in upstate NY. We put three sites on it. Views of the three states, NY,Mass, and Vt. Our self contained site has views of Bennington Monument. Our primary site has full water,electric and septic transfer, our middle site Has electric and septic transfer and water is available. Most family and friends gather in on the holidays and leaf peeping time which is spectacular. Please share what you have
As camping, family fun can start in your own back yard, and share with others.
Kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We've never stayed in the Escape in the backyard but we do have fire ring, 50 amp service and water available. The view is corn and soy beans. It's hot and wet here now. If you stand next to the corn at night when it's calm, you can hear it grow! We also have some farm ground with a high point with a great view. I've toyed with putting in an access to the high corner but haven't done it yet. No amenities out there though. Would take some work. We have several nice campgrounds within 30 miles but usually range out a little farther.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

So nice. I think it's great to have a sacred place to go rving that is just s walk from the back door. We have our big rig parked in the full site, and I love to have the grown up kids come and stay. We also support an area developmental disabilities organization, and some of the clients come out and stay. They have such a great time. In the apple picking season they pick apples from our mini orchard and make apple sauce with us. I just love to share our gifts with others. That's what life is really all about.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
With my two brothers we own a 68 acre parcel of land less than 90 minutes from home, that has over a half mile of riverfront. We have lots of friends come out there with us all the time, as well as our kids, grandkids, other family, and so one. It is a great place to set up camp for those quick getaways from town. Everyone camps in a trailer or tent. No services.

The one advantage of this is, is that we have lots of conveniences built for our own use.

We have a 20' x 32' cookhouse with lots of windows. It has a big old wood/coal cookstove that we cook on and heat with. We also have a backup propane heater that we do use in the winter. It is a great gathering place for large groups to cook and eat during inclement weather, as well as where we stay in the dead of winter.

We do have a 3,000W genset that sees some use, but not much at all. Otherwise we have no services at all, and like it that way. We could easily have power, but really don't want to pay for something we would rarely use.

We also have over 1/2 mile chain of beaver ponds on the side opposite the river. We are surrounded on 3 sides by public crown land which is a great buffer. The closest farmhouse is 1/2 mile away, with the next well over a mile. We can do as we please with nobody to complain.

We have a nice outhouse for everyone's use.

I built a setup for a tarping system that can have a 20x30 ft tarp up over the fire in 5 minutes should it start to rain or snow. Rarely used, but sure is nice when we need it. In 20 years of owning the land, and hundreds upon hundreds of nights out there, there might be a dozen nights tops when we never had a fire. Lots and lots of alcohol sipped there, and countless hours of guitars and singing, and just plain old carrying on.

Get away from the fire, lay on the grass, and stare at the star filled skies. Most nights the Milky Way is very visible.

Our main camping area is a clearing just over an acre carved out of the trees, where we all camp around the perimeter. The center area is for playing games, and generally hanging out. Makes for a great social situation.

Best of all, we also have an income of about $3,500 a year off of it for oil and pipeline rights, and hay pasture.

Our only concern is well into the future. Right now with my two brothers ownership is not a problem at all, we own a few properties together, and trust each other to the nth degree with things. In another 20 years or so we need to come up with a good strategy to transfer ownership to our kids, which will get trickier with their extended families and all. Oh well, that is a worry for the future.

While I love to travel and camp in lots of other places, this land is so great for a quick getaway, and a great place to socialize with our very close family and friends. Without it, we would not get out near as much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We don't have a campsite "on our property," but are just 1-3/4 hours from multiple campsites in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. We moved to the Asheville area in 1987 with the idea that this was where we wanted to live & retire to. I love hiking and variety and the Smoky's give me all I can wish for so close to home. There are about 900 miles of hiking trails in the Smoky's as well as many, many more surrounding these mountains. So to me, these are my "home based campgrounds" just outside my back door!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a "formal' campsite in my yard with 30 amp electric and water. Unfortunately, the septic tank is on the other side of the house, but with one of the rolling tanks, waste water could be transfered. I do have space for another trailer, and could provide both water and electric easily. In all liklihood, most of my guests would come during the winter months, when A/C would not be needed, so even 20 amp service would be adequate. I am approximately 50 minutes from The Mouse, so I would rule out visitors during the months that Florida is a full time steam bath!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Here is a new company that is listing home based private camping land.
https://www.landapart.com/home

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My daughters choose to stay in the Escape, rather than out basement guest room.

Power and water are easy, come in and use the bathroom, please.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #9

My dream

The response is great. I've posted on numerous sites everything from the story about sliding down a hill in my portable shower, to sitting, rather slipping and sitting in bear scat on my RV step. This attempt at going a very interesting conversation going has finally made me feel a bit like an insider. I just need that Escape.
Getting back to the dream...if I could figure out how to do it I would offer my sites to Disabled Vets and their families. Of course police, well you always would be welcome here. God Bless.
Sometimes I wish I were closer to some of these disaster areas so I could reach out to those who lost everything. that is one reason why I want the Escape. I did some volunteering with Habitat, and Somaritans Purse. It's so good we can help each other. We should.

Our kids grow up, go away, and where we live don't plan to come back. It's so true, you enjoy what you have, then I guess put it in Gods hand and the kids, and hope they will do good things with what is left to them.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #10

Beautiful spot and luv your pup...what is he(she)?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

I'm not good at posting YET

Stursky,I was referring to your picture and pup. Guess I hit the wrong spot to reply to you.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
My daughters choose to stay in the Escape, rather than out basement guest room.

Power and water are easy, come in and use the bathroom, please.
Where is the guest trailer parking? It looks like your home is in a gorgeous location.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Hi Jim, our 2 bedroom fifth wheel is on the top of a field behind our property. If you look at the Google maps, look at Burgess rd. It is a beautiful location, we found it driving around one day looking for a place to live in the area. If you heard of Hoosick Falls on the news...the water problem...well we are near there but a very out of village location. We see one neighbor..that's all I want. Gramma Moses the artist, spent time living here and was the cleaning girl as told by the historical club here. Our home was the old church which in the 1800s was at the bottom of the hill near the cemetary. It was connected to the tavern on rt. 7 and conected by tunnel and part of the Underground Railroad. Quite interesting stories we have heard about the place and the hill. You should come east and enjoy Bennington in the Fall. It is spectacular, if we get rain this summer.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
OK. Guess I should post a picture of my campsite. If you note the post with a "1" on it, that was added as a humorous afterthought. The joke is that if I like you, you get Campsite 1. Otherwise you get Campsite 2 (the location of which has not been determined. I do, however, have space for another trailer and could probably fit a 3rd in if nevessary. Water and electric poles are somewhat visible next to the tangerine tree on the right. Shower is inside the house.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you note the post with a "1" on it, that was added as a humorous afterthought. The joke is that if I like you, you get Campsite 1.