I am so old.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I am so old....

That I dialed wall mounted rotary phones with long cords and phone numbers had names such as Liberty or Forest and 4 digits to remember,and phones had shared party lines, while watching black and white 13" tv with aluminum foil on the antenna during the hours from 6 am to midnight only, after which is when the test pattern came on, listening to 45 RPM records or am radio,sometimes picking up radio stations from far away late at night, your mail only had 2 digit zip code and milk was delivered to your door. Your vegetables and fruit were sold in the rear alley by horse drawn vendors who would also sharpen your knives or your reel mower, which had 5 blades and actually cut the grass when pushed. Your streets were cleaned by a man who pushed a cart and broom swept clean and in the evening another man would come around and turn up the street lights which were gas operated. The good ole days......but then Escape Trailers did not exist, only the aluminum ones.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I am so old....

Yup. Nobody bought water, you used to get your shoes repaired instead of replaced, and didn't have to lock your doors at night. My grandsons don't seem to believe me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
That's why we love Escape so much: no dishwasher, and some have to use the outhouse!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jim, I needed my walker to take that stroll down memory lane. Yep that takes me quite always back and was fun to read. However, your eastern upbringing allowed you to enjoy the technological advances of the day. We had a wall mounted phone with a crank, to phone us it was two longs and two shorts. No TV, just the Atwater-Kent radio looking for clear channel stations. Our wind up Victrola played 78s. No mower, we used sheep to keep the grass down. Just kidding. I've learned from many conversations with like aged boomers that many of us had very similar upbringings. Or as they say today, you're my brother from another mother. Have a great day
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Being city folks, we didn't have the veggie guy in the back alley, just grocery stores, where they carried your bags to the car for you. Had a bread man though, like the milk man. Remember when color tv was the 3 color plastic sheet you hung over the B/W. I remember the national anthem just before the test pattern came on. Got all of 3 channels and a few fuzzy UHF ones, and that was with the rotary antenna.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
In grade school, my prized possession was a transistor radio so we could listen to the World Series on the playground at recess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Few homes had televisions ....an ice man came with ice for the icebox .....kids were free range ....
Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Not to mention the social part: always hanging out with neighbours and friends playing...
No computer, I pad, cell phone, or texting.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm young enough to still want to..
and old enough to know better
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Older that Dirt!!!

Hi: cpaharley2008... We had a combo TV, radio, and record player. A rotary dial black bakelite phone in the "General" exchange... on a party line.
Here's a pic of the refrigerator too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Duplex Action Refrigerator.jpg   Hold the ice.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
My parents used to let me take off in the morning on my bike, maybe take along a lunch and just need to show back up for dinner. Now they would be arrested for neglect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Once I got on my bike and followed the junk collector around town all day, curious about where he came from. Was a horse drawn wagon piled with junk people gave him, came by our house in the city every few weeks. Bob O'Dell delivered milk to your door from his Difco truck. Cool truck, you drove it standing up. I actually had a job for 4 weeks with him. 2 weeks learning his route, 2 weeks on my own so he could take a vacation. That was an experience.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Divcos

Myron,
My Dad had a Divco truck when he worked for Davis Dairy in Cedar Raipds iin the late 1940's. I once asked him how he could drive those standing up, he just shrugged and said it was not hard. Little did I realize until later that he had driven tanks, road graders, all sorts of trucks, threshing tractors etc. No Wonder. While our generation did some amazing stuff, Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation, pretty much smoked us.
Dave
Old 07-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Myron,
My Dad had a Divco truck when he worked for Davis Dairy in Cedar Raipds iin the late 1940's. I once asked him how he could drive those standing up, he just shrugged and said it was not hard. Little did I realize until later that he had driven tanks, road graders, all sorts of trucks, threshing tractors etc. No Wonder. While our generation did some amazing stuff, Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation, pretty much smoked us.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Here's a pic of my Dad at work for Parnell's Bakery in the winter. He drove standing up too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000548.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
While our generation did some amazing stuff, Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation, pretty much smoked us.
Dave
Pretty much true. The people I admire most are those who can do alot of things well - maybe not professionally, but competently. One of my favorite quotes is from a novel by Robert Heinlein. It expresses his idea of the 'competent man':

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Old 07-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Well, here I was wondering if I am too old to take that plunge (the deposit is in anyway and delivery is in 11 months so it's academic) and I came across this wonderful thread.

Ice men, coal men, TV repairmen and horses with milk in tow that knew their way around Sandy Hill in Ottawa are just a part of what has brought me here. I do enjoy reading posts in any number topics from so many great, helpful and understanding people.

Are there threads dedicated to older newbies (65+)?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Got the feeling the majority of our posts are for older newbies.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
"Junior Seniors". Who can calculate without a calculator
Old 07-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Alright, I will admit it too that I am an old fart and set in my ways. And I remember the Sears catalog in the outhouse. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
While it's a fact that I sometimes feel sorry for the lifestyle of the building bound generation, regardless of age, it is heartening to meet and talk camping and outdoor adventures with today's young people when you encounter them. We spent some time last weekend putting a new floor in my 31 year old daughter and son in laws 42 year old boler. They learned, they helped and they were proud. When they got ready to leave yesterday I gave them a mismatched set of wrenches including a Bonney 7/8 made in West Germany and so marked. I'm trying to show them what I can and to make them realize just cause it's old don't mean it ain't good. Human, Steel or Cheese. They already have the hooch part down.
Dave