I can not believe some one tows this.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not believe some one tows this....

I thought there was some limit on size?? This has to be at least 3 Escapes in length....
Attached Thumbnails
13082564_1162233857141110_207165538225130978_n.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That one might be a faked (but well done) image, simply because it is so large and any pickup would struggle with the pin weight, but I don't see any obvious glitches in the (low resolution) image. It is a popular Pinterest subject... and most Pinterest images are have either no information attached, or incorrect information. There are some very long fifth-wheel trailers. Continental Coach has standard plans up to 43 feet, but has custom-built up to 57 feet (three Escape 19's)... about the length of the one in the photo (scaling from the 8-foot truck box).

Yes, there are length limits - especially for those without commercial licenses. With four feet of the trailer overlapping the truck, and a truck 20 to 22 feet long, that much trailer would total 73 to 75 feet, which is too long for some jurisdictions (states and provinces) but okay in others.

There are height and width limits as well, but that one is not unusually tall, and although the width is not visible it's likely the legal limit of 2.6 m (102") wide, which is very common.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought there was some limit on size?? This has to be at least 3 Escapes in length....
Hi: cpaharley2008... Usually the tug for a trailer like that would be a Freightliner or similar tractor. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Photoshopped. Under the trailer at the front background the two rocks are the same. Then further back the three rocks are the same. On the large rock at the front they have done a really bad job as part of the concrete curb is included as well, dead give away!

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Photoshopped. Under the trailer at the front background the two rocks are the same. Then further back the three rocks are the same. On the large rock at the front they have done a really bad job as part of the concrete curb is included as well, dead give away!

Barry
Good spotting Didn't think it was real but couldn't spot anything on the trailer that was definitive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Anybody want to guess at what point the interweb changed from a fount of knowledge to a pile of B.S.?
The chance of getting misinformation on any topic search has passed fifty per cent.
OK, I just made up that statistic.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post

Barry
Good job!

I only looked at the trailer, and although I noticed identical elements (such as the forward compartment doors), they could be legitimate - I didn't even look at the background (and the repeated rock that came with the compartment door section copy).
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Usually the tug for a trailer like that would be a Freightliner or similar tractor.
I agree. The highest-capacity pickups (Ford F-450 or Ram 3500) can handle the total weight of the trailer and more, but any of the pickups run into trouble with rear axle capacity with really high pin weight. The medium-duty (Class 4, 5, 6) trucks (Freightliner Business Class or old FL-60; Internationals, Ford F-650, even a Ram 550) don't have any more power with their base engines (the same engines as the pickups, but often rated at lower power than pickups), but are better tugs due to stronger rear axles and higher-capacity tires. It would be surprising to see a real ultra-long fifth-wheel RV trailer hooked to a pickup.

The biggest fifth-wheels tend to be owned by people looking to just go over-the-top in every way, so they are often towed by heavy-duty (Class 6 or 7) tractors.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Anybody want to guess at what point the interweb changed from a fount of knowledge to a pile of B.S.?
I'm sure the transition started about the same day someone was allowed to post content on an internet server (not a web server, since HTTP and the web had not been invented yet) that wasn't governed by a government agency.

Fortunately, it still isn't difficult to sort out most of the crap.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You're all wrong, that's our former stick built trailer. We had to get rid of it because it's bigger than our house and the kids started wanting to live in it and not go home.
We got 0.25 mpg towing it with a Nissan Titan and had to avoid all hills.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
even if its a fake as some post indicate...maybe toyota needs a new challenge for an ad after the space shuttle!

saw a Jayco Seismic three axle toy hauler and rv trailer one day behind a pickup and thought wow...what a tow!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
even if its a fake as some post indicate...maybe toyota needs a new challenge for an ad after the space shuttle!
Toyota gets a lot of flack for that ad, but at least it only shows the Tundra doing what it is actually doing: slowly pulling a Space Shuttle by towbar on level ground. Those ridiculous Ford/Ram/GM ads are in another category entirely, with many of them showing the trucks bouncing over rocks like they're running an offroad race (try that for a while and see what breaks), one supposedly pulling a ship out of the water, and other towing a 40-foot shipping container away from a port... not mentioning that it's empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
saw a Jayco Seismic three axle toy hauler and rv trailer one day behind a pickup and thought wow...what a tow!
Toy haulers are among the biggest of the fifth-wheel RV trailers because they need the length for the garage, and they look big because the roofline stays high over the rear for loft space.

I think the third axle is the knee-jerk reaction to always wanting to use the same ST235/85R16 tires and 8,000 pound axles and running out of capacity with two sets. The faked photo had four axles, which is just dumb, but real trailers of this size are actually triples. Long ago I saw some large luxury fifth-wheel trailers, with dual wheels on tandem axles... 8 tires, just like the classic semi-trailer of an "18-wheeler" rig. I see one brand (Agusta) currently uses 17.5" commercial wheels and tires... almost a real truck tire.