Kids these days - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
OK Scotty ... have my Escape Trailer delivered to the Glacier National Park Lodge, Montana in a week when I'll arrive by a self driving helicopter.

Tom
And Scotty would be saying "Helicopter? But Captain, why not just use the transporter?"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
After the end of the Cold War you could find all kinds of stuff at hamfests, DRMO, etc. as the military drew down. I wanted to collect Unix workstations so that I would have an example of every architecture I used at work. I did okay-- I have workstations from SGI, Sun, and DEC, but I didn't get an IBM (Power arch) or HP (PA-RISC). I even have a NextStep from Steve Jobs' old company. Right now they're all sitting in my garage. When I get tired of traveling I'll start networking them together.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian I think the forum is a little different . We are exchanging idea's and thoughts with others that we all have something in common with , our trailers .
I don't see the difference between a conversation about this subject of interest and a conversation about another subject of interest, whether the medium for the discussion is a set of text messages, a "social media platform", or an online discussion forum. Trailers, cars, music, food... whatever, they're all valid subjects of common interest. Many EscapeForum members even participate in this discussion using a smartphone app, likely typing with their thumbs; some of those posts include the Tapatalk app's signature line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #44
Site Team

Like this one!

Old 07-01-2017, 05:13 AM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just watched Hidden Figures a couple days ago, about the pre-computer days at NASA, excellent movie. The pre-computer computer was Katherine Johnson according to the movie, sans slide rule.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Does anyone remember IRS refund checks or any government check, they were IBM punch cards colored green to imitate cash, My father who was a EDP supervisor at Social Security used to make christmas wreaths out of punch cards for the holidays.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
My 1973 college freshman photo ID card has my Social Security Number punched into it just like a miniature IBM punch card. It could be read by a small card reader to identify me. I still have it and would post a photo of it, but:1) it would be easy for everyone to figure out my SSN, and 2) no one wants to be reminded of men's hair styles back in the 70's.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #48

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't see the difference between a conversation about this subject of interest and a conversation about another subject of interest, whether the medium for the discussion is a set of text messages, a "social media platform", or an online discussion forum...
I think the difference is the overpowering social pressure among teens to view social media posts in real time and respond instantly or risk shaming. If a teen posts something, and no one responds immediately with at least a "Like", they feel "dissed" and depressed that no one values them. On the other hand, if a popular teen posts something, and another teen doesn't respond quickly, the latter teen risks being disenfranchised from the "in" crowd. (And don't get me started on addictive mindless streaming video games.) Anyway, today's youth face lots of social pressures to keep their face "glowing" (from the light emitted from their smart device). Check out the book, "Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction is Hijacking Our Kids - And How To Break The Trance." https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Kids-Add.../dp/1250097991.
I think our generation can walk away from technology and enjoy solitude when we want because we grew up in that world and have adapted to technology as needed. I'm not sure that the current generation of youth who are growing up with this technology can or ever will.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think our generation can walk away from technology and enjoy solitude when we want because we grew up in that world and have adapted to technology as needed. I'm not sure that the current generation of youth who are growing up with this technology can or ever will.
For us, camping reconnects us to something vital. It makes us feel human again if we do it long enough to decompress. My work is entirely related to technology. After 4 or 5 days of camping, particularly boondocking, I'm a new man. Calmer, clearer, happier.

We do two kinds of camping. One type is where we need to be connected electronically because we are mixing my work with pleasure. It's ok, but nowhere near as fun. The other is where we could care less about a cell phone signal and the evening's entertainment consists of a campfire and real conversation. Ah, that's more like it.

I have always found it amusing that there are some people who can't go 5 minutes in silence. They need constant background noise or distractions like the TV running even when they aren't watching it. The proliferation of hand held electronic devices in many cases makes that worse. Tech has brought all sorts of benefits, like having the contents of the world's largest library in the palm of your hand. But I still think that for all our advancement, we miss something essential. It's a big reason why I camp.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Anyway, today's youth face lots of social pressures to keep their face "glowing" (from the light emitted from their smart device). Check out the book, "Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction is Hijacking Our Kids - And How To Break The Trance." https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Kids-Add.../dp/1250097991.
As a young parent I find myself in a constant battle with the proper balance. Enough time for them to appreciate and learn modern technology, but not so much time to sacrifice other fun and important experiences. They see us on devices as well and we need to lead by example. My parents gave me a great foundation in the outdoors and I'm trying hard to pass it on.

I certainly don't condone any of his violent actions, but the Unabomber Manifesto is an interesting read about technology and its influence on society. He was a child prodigy and Harvard graduate. Keep an open mind.
http://www.amazon.com/Unabomber-Mani.../dp/1595948155
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Every generation thinks theirs is the best. Best movies, music, way to have fun, etc. I camp with large groups of all-molded towable owners. Next to no teenagers or Millennial in the bunch. Most are middle-age or older. Seems like everyone I see while I'm out walking is using their phone for something... sitting at the picnic table... not taking pictures, but surfing or typing. I have a cellphone. Half the time the battery is dead it gets so little use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I think the difference is the overpowering social pressure among teens to view social media posts in real time and respond instantly or risk shaming.
I think that's certainly a valid issue, but it would be quite a leap to assume that everyone looking at a mobile device is in this situation... even those at the most vulnerable age.

Quote:
Although well past high school now, my nieces and nephews all grew up with mobile devices and the rise of social media, and all seem to have no problem walking away from them when they want to.

While "we" (those who grew up when phones were all attached to cords plugged into walls) have accommodated technical change, I think every generation does that. I grew up with TV every evening, but when I moved out, I didn't even have a TV for several years, because I had other things to do. My parents went through greater technical changes than I have seen, without difficulty.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
A quote from War Eagle:

"I think our generation can walk away from technology and enjoy solitude when we want because we grew up in that world and have adapted to technology as needed. I'm not sure that the current generation of youth who are growing up with this technology can or ever will.[/QUOTE]"

I agree with the above statement and it worries me. What's going to happen with assumed more and more budgetary pressures on all levels of government and our park systems, national forests and other 'wild lands'? Will the younger generation tolerate higher taxes and fees to support these properties? I doubt it, if they haven't learned the value of nature as youths.

Yesterday, on NPR, there was quite an article on how the Forest Service, due to fire fighting costs, was privatizing some of their camping areas in California. Now private corporations were managing some campgrounds, collecting fees, and doing routine maintenance ..... the Forest Service gets a small percentage of fees collected ....well OK, but the future I see is that these corporations will manage these lands primarily for profit and not for the preservation and protection of these exceptionally valuable resources.... our campgrounds.

Maybe its been going on longer than I have realized. An example is the electronic reservation system that so many parks use. Again, private corporations managing our access to public lands.

Some may claim that corporations can do the work more efficiently thus why not? Well I think that many functions of life need to stay in public hands and Not private hands - examples: the military, the library system, the police, Post Office, FCC, Weather Service, and the Forest and Parks Service to name just a few.

Tom
Old 07-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Absolutely true. TV was certainly the biggest thing going when it came into existence. How did people live without TV and now all of the rest of it? Not that difficult really. We have what we have and can choose what we use. Some young people may decide later to forego some of the technology that they once felt was indispensable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think that's certainly a valid issue, but it would be quite a leap to assume that everyone looking at a mobile device is in this situation... even those at the most vulnerable age.

Although well past high school now, my nieces and nephews all grew up with mobile devices and the rise of social media, and all seem to have no problem walking away from them when they want to.

While "we" (those who grew up when phones were all attached to cords plugged into walls) have accommodated technical change, I think every generation does that. I grew up with TV every evening, but when I moved out, I didn't even have a TV for several years, because I had other things to do. My parents went through greater technical changes than I have seen, without difficulty.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
A quote from War Eagle:

".....

Yesterday, on NPR, there was quite an article on how the Forest Service, due to fire fighting costs, was privatizing some of their camping areas in California. Now private corporations were managing some campgrounds, collecting fees, and doing routine maintenance ..... the Forest Service gets a small percentage of fees collected ....well OK, but the future I see is that these corporations will manage these lands primarily for profit and not for the preservation and protection of these exceptionally valuable resources.... our campgrounds.

Some may claim that corporations can do the work more efficiently thus why not? Well I think that many functions of life need to stay in public hands and Not private hands - examples: the military, the library system, the police, Post Office, FCC, Weather Service, and the Forest and Parks Service to name just a few.

Tom
The success of this endeavor (from a camper's perspective) is dependent upon how the USPS writes the regulations setting standards for the corporations to adhere to if they are awarded the contract to manage the campgrounds. No doubt that corporate lobbyists will do their best to urge that the regulations are drafted in their favor. However, if anybody is watching carefully, a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking must first be made available to the public for comment. At that time, the public can weigh-in and Voice their concerns.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Now private corporations were managing some campgrounds
Tom
I am a firm believer in government contracting; for some jobs we would never get the level of expertise we need if we had to rely on offering government salaries.

Given that, I want to warn folks that the Park Service has made a bad deal / deals when it has contracted out National Park campgrounds to concessionaires. For instance, the concessionaire at Crater Lake National Park charges $33 per night for a site with no hookups. That's ridiculous! The same thing is true at Mesa Verde NP. So-- when you make reservations to stay at the national parks, keep an eye out to see if the campground is run by the Park Service or by a concessionaire. If it is the latter, it might be a ripoff.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #57

Cellphone size

Wobbling back toward the subject matter of the thread, but not too close, I have a question about cellphone size. I have a small, cheap Android smartphone that works with the TracFone service. I find that the phone with its four-inch screen is easy to hold in one hand and be able to manipulate with my thumb. I don't send texts that way, but everything else is convenient.

But the girls in the elevator, and almost everyone else I see, use phones substantially larger. When I tried a larger phone I found it to be unwieldy; you had to use two hands to interact with it. So what is the attraction of a larger smartphone? A more easily visible screen? Four-inch smartphones are getting hard to find because they are so unpopular, and I don't get it.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #58

Trailer: None now
I guess mine is the new small, I have a 5.2 inch display and can easily hold it in my hand and control it. And I can see it too which is important. But I seldom use it online, I only text with my wife and daughter and use the mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Wobbling back toward the subject matter of the thread, but not too close, I have a question about cellphone size. I have a small, cheap Android smartphone that works with the TracFone service. I find that the phone with its four-inch screen is easy to hold in one hand and be able to manipulate with my thumb. I don't send texts that way, but everything else is convenient.

But the girls in the elevator, and almost everyone else I see, use phones substantially larger. When I tried a larger phone I found it to be unwieldy; you had to use two hands to interact with it. So what is the attraction of a larger smartphone? A more easily visible screen? Four-inch smartphones are getting hard to find because they are so unpopular, and I don't get it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #59

Trailer: None now
I'm not going to get into politics but wait until the proposed turning over bridges, roads and such to private companies to fix and maintain happens. A trip from Florida to elseware might incur substantial tolls.
Unfortunately people are willing to pay those rates at the campgrounds so I doubt you will see them go any lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I am a firm believer in government contracting; for some jobs we would never get the level of expertise we need if we had to rely on offering government salaries.

Given that, I want to warn folks that the Park Service has made a bad deal / deals when it has contracted out National Park campgrounds to concessionaires. For instance, the concessionaire at Crater Lake National Park charges $33 per night for a site with no hookups. That's ridiculous! The same thing is true at Mesa Verde NP. So-- when you make reservations to stay at the national parks, keep an eye out to see if the campground is run by the Park Service or by a concessionaire. If it is the latter, it might be a ripoff.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
A trip from Florida to elseware might incur substantial tolls.
A trip within Florida already incurs substantial tolls, if you're in the Orlando area. I think Texas is also building toll roads, but I haven't experienced them yet.