Kids these days - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Kids these days

For background-- I'm not around young people very much, and haven't been since I left college decades ago. Trends come and go without my notice; I'm oblivious as they blow right by me. So I was puzzled by the following experience:

I visited WSU's art museum on campus in Pullman, Washington. I got on the elevator from the parking garage and was followed by three coeds (are they still called that?) wearing earbuds connected to cellphones that they were staring at. One gal was tapping on her phone's screen, the others were just staring silently. They all continued to look down at their phones, they never looked up or at each other, or at me. The elevator stopped at another floor and a fourth young woman got on. She was wearing earbuds and staring down at her phone. At this point I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. When I got off the elevator and went outside I saw that all of the girls and most of the guys were walking around campus doing the same thing. Some of the guys were on skateboards, which apparently requires too much balancing to also do the cellphone thing.

So-- what are they doing? What are they looking at? What are they listening to? I guess they are reading and sending text messages, but all the time, really? Someone please enlighten me.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I see this a lot. Many people young and old alike seem to tune out the real world via earbuds and their cell phone. Some people are listening to music, podcasts, videos. Some are texting or emailing. The brave ones are doing business on their phones. A typical smart phone today as something like several times the processing power than the computers that got us to the moon and back. It's truly amazing and scary at the same time. I use my cell phone to call folks, send the occasional text or email, map a location and note my appointments. And it is off when I'm driving. When I am on vacation I am usually someplace without cell phone reception so I can enjoy nature. That's why I got my Escape.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In our house with two teenagers this is the norm. We'll say stuff to them and never get a response. We just call it "Talking to our Hand."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
For background-- I'm not around young people very much, and haven't been since I left college decades ago. Trends come and go without my notice; I'm oblivious as they blow right by me. So I was puzzled by the following experience:

I visited WSU's art museum on campus in Pullman, Washington. I got on the elevator from the parking garage and was followed by three coeds (are they still called that?) wearing earbuds connected to cellphones that they were staring at. One gal was tapping on her phone's screen, the others were just staring silently. They all continued to look down at their phones, they never looked up or at each other, or at me. The elevator stopped at another floor and a fourth young woman got on. She was wearing earbuds and staring down at her phone. At this point I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing. When I got off the elevator and went outside I saw that all of the girls and most of the guys were walking around campus doing the same thing. Some of the guys were on skateboards, which apparently requires too much balancing to also do the cellphone thing.

So-- what are they doing? What are they looking at? What are they listening to? I guess they are reading and sending text messages, but all the time, really? Someone please enlighten me.
Hi: Mike Lewis... Studying? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is pretty common for todays generation as well as others to fall down stairs or other dangerous situations because of the distraction caused by the device. Look knows how many accidents happen when they use the device and drive.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is pretty common for todays generation as well as others to fall down stairs or other dangerous situations because of the distraction caused by the device. Look knows how many accidents happen when they use the device and drive.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Why even the video is disabled!!! Alf
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I think its sad i can be somewhere and everyone is on their phone. I feel alone so i check mine -because I'm board and everyone is on their phone. I see lots of neck issues in our future!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

If I need to talk to the kids and get a quick response I needed to text or I may not hear from them for days maybe weeks . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I think its sad i can be somewhere and everyone is on their phone. I feel alone so i check mine -because I'm board and everyone is on their phone. I see lots of neck issues in our future!
Hi: Fox hunt... I see a future need for Physio's to treat "Carpal thumb" LoL Alf
Old 06-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I see a lot of hearing problems in the future. Young children as well as adults with earbuds in all the time. Buy stock in hearing aid companies......
Old 06-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I see a lot of hearing problems in the future. Young children as well as adults with earbuds in all the time. Buy stock in hearing aid companies......
What did you say??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
From what I understand, SnapChat has the worst effect on them because if they're not constantly looking at their screen, something "very important" will show up then quickly disappear from their screen before they get the chance to see/read it. And when they post something on FaceBook, if they don't get 20 "Likes" in the first 20 seconds, they feel like they are failing at life. So they have to constanly refresh their FaceBook page to see how many "Likes" they've gotten to their last "very important" post. The only good thing I've heard scientists say is that heavy users develop very fast and nimble thumb dexterity. I guess that's before they develop thumb joint problems, neck problems, vision problems, attention span problems, sleep disorders and walk cluelessly out in front of on-coming traffic.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
To Rick's list I'll add social media: reading and responding to posts, watching videos, and exchanging messages (essentially text messaging, but though different software). This includes the Escape Forum . I think it's amusing that many people are refusing to interact with the society which physically surrounds them, because they are so busy with online social interaction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yup that too since I'm a Physical therapist maybe i will treat smart phone ailments as a retirement strategy.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I'ts not just the so called younger generation that is addicted to electronic communications .
How many questions / inquiries / discussions have been posted on this forum by supposedly mature adults about cell phone boosters , Netflix , TV antennas , laptops , additional USB outlets , cabling , Bluetooth , facebook and twitter, etc ,etc, etc. Our desire to be constantly connected although maybe for different reasons, is just as strong.
My wife and I have only A cell phone period, the end and survive just fine . We have been on the road where our cell phone was without service for over a week and not one terrible thing happened nor did the world come to an end . We have never watched anything on Netflix or had cable or satellite TV or had or listened to Sirius Radio.

It seems strange to guestion the younger generations actions when my generation is doing the same thing.

Kind of like "The pot calling the kettle black " IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have a niece - 23 years old at the time - who took a vacation trip to a country where they would not have mobile network service at a reasonable price. They normally use text messaging and social media, but locked their phones in the hotel safe and didn't use or miss them for the duration of the trip. Half of my nieces and nephews (20-something to 30-something years old) don't even have the most social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter). Age is not the determining factor for behaviour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
To Rick's list I'll add social media: reading and responding to posts, watching videos, and exchanging messages (essentially text messaging, but though different software). This includes the Escape Forum . I think it's amusing that many people are refusing to interact with the society which physically surrounds them, because they are so busy with online social interaction.
Brian I think the forum is a little different . We are exchanging idea's and thoughts with others that we all have something in common with , our trailers . Don't have a smart phone and don't see the need to . Barely go on Facebook , just to see grandkids and my kids who are all busy with their lives and far away . Social media does have a place today and is useful . Walking around and my pet peeve driving using your phone is dangerous not only to those doing it Others , kids, animals . I wish there were really heavy fines to get their attention to stop. Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I'ts not just the so called younger generation that is addicted to electronic communications .
How many questions / inquiries / discussions have been posted on this forum by supposedly mature adults about cell phone boosters , Netflix , TV antennas , laptops , additional USB outlets , cabling , Bluetooth , facebook and twitter, etc ,etc, etc. Our desire to be constantly connected although maybe for different reasons, is just as strong.
My wife and I have only A cell phone period, the end and survive just fine . We have been on the road where our cell phone was without service for over a week and not one terrible thing happened nor did the world come to an end . We have never watched anything on Netflix or had cable or satellite TV or had or listened to Sirius Radio.

It seems strange to guestion the younger generations actions when my generation is doing the same thing.

Kind of like "The pot calling the kettle black " IMHO
Don't laugh Steve , have CB in truck and Linda has her ham radio license if needing help . Pat
Old 06-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Texting? What's that?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Take a walk down a busy New York City street sometime. Amazing how many are completely absorbed by a little electronic device. They have quite a few pedestrians killed or injured nowadays because their heads are buried in their phone and they walk into traffic. We're talking adults here, not just kids. Dodging them on the sidewalk is an adventure for me.

As Ron White so eloquently puts it, "you can't fix stupid."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk