Lenten tradition - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Lenten tradition

For Jim Norman and others who enjoy foods not commonly encountered in chain restaurants.
About this time of year fish fries and other forms of fund raising public dinners in all of the small and large cities and towns in our area.
West of our home about 30 miles the terrain gets very hilly for several miles. This is the country settled by Bohemian and Slovakian immigrants in thr 1870s. It is on the same approximate latitude as the homeland and the country is similar. Hence the affectionate term" The Bohemian Alps"
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And a wine pairing?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

Wine, piestengel (rhubarb) or possibly dandelion. Appetizer, morel mushrooms , vegetable, parsnips fried in butter. Dessert. As always, chocolate cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
After dinner drink Peppermint schnapps. Now you're a real Bohemie
Dave
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I had dandelion wine many years ago. I think they got confused with the turpentine bottle.

It was very fresh.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rocky Mountain Oysters.....
Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wine, piestengel (rhubarb) or possibly dandelion. Appetizer, morel mushrooms , vegetable, parsnips fried in butter. Dessert. As always, chocolate cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Dave
Dave, I was with you all the way......until the Peppermint Schnapps. C'mon now, there are so many better alcohols to be had, ones of quality that don't need sugar and artificial flavour added.

On the topic of schnapps, a buddy of mine always brings a bottle of real schnapps home from Germany after his annual family visit. Now, that is good stuff. A good fruit alcohol, with no added sugars. Almost craving a shot now, early in the morn.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Puts a hole new spin on the term "Ball joint". Down in the finger lakes of New York State they'd serve wine from the Pompous Ass Winery. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just watched a documentary on a fellow Iowan, Alvin Straight-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Straight

made a movie also- see here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/
Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Having lived through years of Lenten fasting and abstaining from eating meat ,the local fish fry was a much loved and anticipated treat on a Friday evening but during Lent the consumption of alcohol was not part of the ritual. I remember getting up at midnight on Holy Saturday and enjoying a meal of fried chicken with my Dad because Easter had arrived. There is a church on the West side of St Paul Mn that has supposedly served over 5000 fish dinners on a Friday evening during Lent. The line starts about 2 in the afternoon !!

eahttp://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=handi+hitch+maplewood+r
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Having lived through years of Lenten fasting and abstaining from eating meat ,the local fish fry was a much loved and anticipated treat on a Friday evening but during Lent the consumption of alcohol was not part of the ritual. I remember getting up at midnight on Holy Saturday and enjoying a meal of fried chicken with my Dad because Easter had arrived. There is a church on the West side of St Paul Mn that has supposedly served over 5000 fish dinners on a Friday evening during Lent. The line starts about 2 in the afternoon !!

eahttp://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=handi+hitch+maplewood+r
Steve, couldn't help but notice the url on the bottom of your post, which looks to be searching for "Handi-Hitch" in Maplewood. Unfortunately, they are closed. I have been using Burnsville Hitch instead. But would like to find something in St. Paul. So far, I have not found a good trailer place on this side of the river.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Steve, couldn't help but notice the url on the bottom of your post, which looks to be searching for "Handi-Hitch" in Maplewood. Unfortunately, they are closed. I have been using Burnsville Hitch instead. But would like to find something in St. Paul. So far, I have not found a good trailer place on this side of the river.
Yes ,, my son in law was looking to have a hitch put on his van . I have used Handi Hitch in the past and was happy with their work.
I guess he will have to look elsewhere . We moved out of St Paul and I was not aware that they closed so thank you for the heads up

Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 Northstar 10'
IowaDave--we have a customer in Vining/Elberon--Benda Ag. Ever heard of them? 4m north of Vining.
msethsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

Benda's

Quote:
Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
IowaDave--we have a customer in Vining/Elberon--Benda Ag. Ever heard of them? 4m north of Vining.
I know exactly where Benda's is located. Vining has gotten too small
To support a tavern and the next town north is not much bigger but still has a little one. So when I get a thirst and am in the area, I run up to Clutier and go past Benda Ag. Our farm ground is about the same distance south of US 30 as Vining is north. I'll be in Vining next Sunday morning for an auction and flea market but mostly for some kolaches and a sandwhich at the CSA Hall. It's the only place I know where you have to know Czech to eavesdrop
on a conversation. I have rotor cuff damage and can still throw a rock the length of the business district in Vining.
Dave
Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Iowa Dave, My dad grew up around Vining and Clutier. My Great Grandfather settled in the Czech hills around there but they were not the first ones to love that rolling country. The Native Americans did too and my dad as a kid was always picking up arrow heads, stone scraping knives, and spear points. I have a beautiful collection. Will be up that way with the trailer in about a month and we should try to get together. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #15

Loren,
Small world department. The farmer who lived adjacent to where my mom grew up used stone axe heads for doorstops, I remember seeing them as a kid. We will be is Southern Iowa for a fishing tournament ( read that drinkathon) the last weekend in April, other than that we will be around. Keep us apprised of your plans, we'd very much like to meet you.