My dad is stronger than your dad.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My dad is stronger than your dad....

Three young men sitting around a drinking fountain one hot day bragging about who's Dad was fastest. Howard said that his dad was so fast, he could shoot an arrow and then run with the target so fast that he could catch the arrow in the bull's eye. Larry thought for awhile and spouted, "My dad is faster than that, he can fire a rifle, run down the range and hold up the target for the bulls eye" Little Jimmy thought for awhile and then he said "Well my dad is a government worker who works 9 to 5 everyday, but he is so fast, he gets home at 3 pm......."
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Your sons name is Jimmy, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Good one Jim!

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
lol...too funny ...
Old 03-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks Jim
Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Three young men sitting around a drinking fountain one hot day bragging about who's Dad was fastest. Howard said that his dad was so fast, he could shoot an arrow and then run with the target so fast that he could catch the arrow in the bull's eye. Larry thought for awhile and spouted, "My dad is faster than that, he can fire a rifle, run down the range and hold up the target for the bulls eye" Little Jimmy thought for awhile and then he said "Well my dad is a government worker who works 9 to 5 everyday, but he is so fast, he gets home at 3 pm......."
He may get home by 3:00, but I can assure you that between 9:00 and 3:00 he moves in slow motion!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks Jim, could finally send a joke back to dad he hadn't seen.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
He may get home by 3:00, but I can assure you that between 9:00 and 3:00 he moves in slow motion!
Not to be over sensitive or anything but .....

Government workers are not all lazy "working" in slow motion. Last Thursday I retired from a career in government service. During my years as a "government worker" I've worked unpaid overtime,come in on weekends without ever being asked and so forth

That being said the joke is funny.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

37 years for me....
Old 03-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #10

It was the post that gave the assurance that all gov workers move in slow motion that prompted my post.

I've seen too many of my associates working in difficult circumstances dealing with critically sensitive issues to let too many comments about "gov workers" go with some push back.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thirty two plus years in government service for me. Lots of good times,'lots of stressful situations. My opening address to my crew on a new position in 1985 included the comment that I did not ever want to hear " good enough for government work" upon completion of a job. One joker who was a couple of years younger than me and who had 12 years with the city thought he'd try me and push my buttons. I got him before he made 14. I love to have a good time but when it was time to work I gave it all I had and expected nothing less from the crew. Polarized them pretty quickly. I sleep well every night.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #12

I always heard "close enough for government work" as both my parents were career Feds. When I left, the IRS statement was "We are here to help you".....
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #13

I supervised people involved in the criminal justice system (criminals). One of the lines I used on some of the guys I was supervising when they were trying to lie to me was "just because we are government workers doesn't mean we are all stupid."
Old 03-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

When I had to interview a witness that was in prison I always opened the conversation with "Just remember I get to leave here today without you"....in order to coerce their cooperation.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Not to be over sensitive or anything but .....

Government workers are not all lazy "working" in slow motion. Last Thursday I retired from a career in government service. During my years as a "government worker" I've worked unpaid overtime,come in on weekends without ever being asked and so forth

That being said the joke is funny.
Since you quoted my post and "pushed back," as you stated, I will tell you that I worked for the government at both the State and Federal level for 39 years, so I think I am entitled to poke a little fun at myself. And as far as giving it my all, I can assure you that in terms of unpaid overtime, etc., you have nothing on me. Not that I did it for 39 years, but try teaching (which is a government job). You will work harder than most other government employees and typically get paid less. There are people who move in slow motion in goverment jobs and there are also some in private industry. And there are people who really believe that government employees are worthless. One who immediately comes to mind is the current Governor of Florida. I'm not one of them. As I stated, I was only trying to add to the humor in the joke.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #16

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your clarifying post. It's good to know you were another guy at the trough.

"Push back" in my world of blogging and academic conversation/debate is meant to signify disagreement or another perspective not anything close to a strong emotional response on my part. I merely responded to the universality of the post in question. One thing I've learned about Internet/email/texting communication is that it is very very difficult to discern intent, emotions of msgs. I should have put a smiley emotion thingy in my post.

I agree there are good and bad workers in every field, public or private sector. In fact it was in public service where I learned the phrase "f..ing the dog" to describe the work of lazy government employees.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I work with government employees frequently, and not once have I thought they were lazy or worthless. I do however, think there are far too many of them - but that's another discussion.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I work with government employees frequently, and not once have I thought they were lazy or worthless. I do however, think there are far too many of them - but that's another discussion.
When I walk into the DMV to register my vehicles, I often have to wait 45 minutes to an hour for my "number" to be called. The rare times I have called the police, it has not been unusual for it to take well over 30 minutes for a response. During the 5 years that I taught in a high school, I saw overcrowded classrooms. When I have gone camping in State and National Parks, the "Rangers" are often few and far between; thankfully there are people who love these parks and are willing to volunteer. The courts where I live are way behind schedule. While I agree there may be governmental bureaucracies that are bloated, there are some agencies that still manage to do a remakable job with limited human resources. And while I, like many others may complain about "too many people woking in government," we also get irate when we are inconvenienced by long lines. Obviously, having the "correct" number of governmental employees is a balancing act. We house prisoners at a very high cost to the taxpayers and essentially get nothing in return. At least the high cost of employing a government worker is often "rewarded" with the services they supply. Two sides to every issue: reduce the number of government employees and the number of unemployed goes up and services are reduced. Sort of like the flat tax debate.....just make everyone pay 15%. Yes, it would be easier and more fair, but what happens to all the people (accountants, etc.) who make a living because of a convoluted tax system. Eliminate it and you have more unemployment. Just saying.....
Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #19

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
When I walk into the DMV to register my vehicles, I often have to wait 45 minutes to an hour for my "number" to be called. The rare times I have called the police, it has not been unusual for it to take well over 30 minutes for a response. During the 5 years that I taught in a high school, I saw overcrowded classrooms. When I have gone camping in State and National Parks, the "Rangers" are often few and far between; thankfully there are people who love these parks and are willing to volunteer. The courts where I live are way behind schedule. While I agree there may be governmental bureaucracies that are bloated, there are some agencies that still manage to do a remakable job with limited human resources. And while I, like many others may complain about "too many people woking in government," we also get irate when we are inconvenienced by long lines. Obviously, having the "correct" number of governmental employees is a balancing act. We house prisoners at a very high cost to the taxpayers and essentially get nothing in return. At least the high cost of employing a government worker is often "rewarded" with the services they supply. Two sides to every issue: reduce the number of government employees and the number of unemployed goes up and services are reduced. Sort of like the flat tax debate.....just make everyone pay 15%. Yes, it would be easier and more fair, but what happens to all the people (accountants, etc.) who make a living because of a convoluted tax system. Eliminate it and you have more unemployment. Just saying.....
Having also been a government employee, a police officer as was Jim, I will tell you that many police departments are working with far less staff then at any time in recent history. Budget cuts have happened at every level here in Illinois. The state of Illinois hasn't had a budget on over a year, forcing cuts everywhere. Education across the board, every state department. Our DMV, the Secretary of States office, has cut out mailing notices for license plate renewals, making it virtually impossible to renew online, creating more work for those few employees there. And as for waiting 30 minutes for an officer to arrive, with less manpower there is a priority system usually put in place to dispatch the job. Teachers have way to many students in the classrooms, and the Chicago Board of education wants to cut the number of teachers in every school. Everyone wants services but no one wants to pay for them. End of rant.
Steven M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #20

Steven, I think your comment about wanting the services but not wanting to pay for them is dead on!