New Honda EU2200i coming - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I'm betting that you can pair it with the new one.
The literature indicates you can.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The ice fishing guys use generators outside of their ice houses to give them electrical power out on the ice. When you are out and the packers are playing the Vikings on TV what else you gonna do? In a humid air situation the heat of the engine will condense air flowing to the carburetor and the condensation will freeze. This causes air flow to fall below the level needed to run the engine and the engine is said to be “iced up”. The breather kit keeps this from happening and the football game goes on. Also Bill S’s ice maker keeps running. Hope this helps
Iowa “Grumpy old B.......d” Dave
Old 12-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The ice fishing guys use generators outside of their ice houses to give them electrical power out on the ice. When you are out and the packers are playing the Vikings on TV what else you gonna do? In a humid air situation the heat of the engine will condense air flowing to the carburetor and the condensation will freeze. This causes air flow to fall below the level needed to run the engine and the engine is said to be “iced up”. The breather kit keeps this from happening and the football game goes on. Also Bill S’s ice maker keeps running. Hope this helps
Iowa “Grumpy old B.......d” Dave
Dave,
Your mostly correct. Carburetor icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapor to freeze. The venturi effect can drop the ambient air temperature by 30-40 degrees F. When I worked as a mechanic carburetorated engines iced up regularly at 40 degrees. I remember seeing this first on my first car ( a Volkswagen Bug) when I pulled the air filter off when it was running in an unseated garage. You could see the ice form on the outside of the carburetor.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #24

Generators

Reading my latest issue of Wallace’s Farmer this afternoon I came across an article announcing two new generator sets available from Caterpillar. The camping sized unit is a 2000 watt unit 1800 running and 2250 starting watts. It’s called the CatINV2000. There’s
Also an article on this unit in the Prairie Farmer. They say it weighs 49 lbs and is 52 to 62 decibels when running. Cost is listed at $750. Another option for those who need a genset.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I got a 2000 i cold weather rated . 6 years old now no problems till now .Went to the dealer and found out that long term use of ethanol blended fuels cause carburetor issues . Uneven idle
Even in idle at eco setting , but it did take 6 years Any how try not to use blended fuels long term . Also add a bit of " sea foam " to every tank it helps keep the fuel system clear.
A new carb cost 350.00 cdn .
Old 01-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #26

Ethanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I got a 2000 i cold weather rated . 6 years old now no problems till now .Went to the dealer and found out that long term use of ethanol blended fuels cause carburetor issues . Uneven idle
Even in idle at eco setting , but it did take 6 years Any how try not to use blended fuels long term . Also add a bit of " sea foam " to every tank it helps keep the fuel system clear.
A new carb cost 350.00 cdn .
There are a lot of opinions on ethanol and its effects on fuel systems. I personally do not use Ethanol fuel in any small engine we own. I like top tier 87 octane unleaded for all the small engines. Just me. Regular use, fresh or stabiled fuel or storage with an empty tank works best for me. It was warm today so I started my diesel tractor and my mower and let them run awhile. Good for a few more weeks if not needed before then. On my Stihl equipment I dump the tanks in the fall back into my gas can and run that through the chainsaw in the winter. I usually keep as little mixed fuel around as possible. And I use Stabil.
Works for me.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
There are a lot of opinions on ethanol and its effects on fuel systems. I personally do not use Ethanol fuel in any small engine we own. I like top tier 87 octane unleaded for all the small engines. Just me.
Not just you Dave. I make a special trip to a small engine repair shop which is the only place in all of San Antonio where I can buy gas without the dang ethanol in it. Costs almost $7 a gallon. I figure it's worth it since I've done enough fuel system repairs and carburetor rebuilds to last a lifetime.

You're right though, lots of opinions. Here's one: get rid of ethanol gas and grow corn to feed people and not engines.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #28

Ethanol

Hi Robert
Iowa is the top Corn producing state in the union. Over 2 billion bushels in 2016. 43% of that corn was used in ethanol gasoline. And people starve throughout the world every day.
Again: Priorities
Iowa Dave
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Hi Robert
Iowa is the top Corn producing state in the union. Over 2 billion bushels in 2016. 43% of that corn was used in ethanol gasoline. And people starve throughout the world every day.
Iowa Dave
Another problem is US corn being shipped to those countries as foreign aid and putting the local farmers out of business. They can't grow the product for the price it's being dumped at. When they can't make a living, they can't afford to buy a Big Mac.
It's a complicated business.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Hi Robert
Iowa Dave
Yep, priorities. The big ag companies lobby hard to continue the ethanol as well.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 17
I'm not on FB but maybe it was recorded.
"LIVE at World of Concrete for a sneak peak of our new Honda Generators. Get more behind the scenes on Instagram @hondapowerequipment"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...621696271&_rdr
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
There are a lot of opinions on ethanol and its effects on fuel systems. I personally do not use Ethanol fuel in any small engine we own. I like top tier 87 octane unleaded for all the small engines. Just me. Regular use, fresh or stabiled fuel or storage with an empty tank works best for me. It was warm today so I started my diesel tractor and my mower and let them run awhile. Good for a few more weeks if not needed before then. On my Stihl equipment I dump the tanks in the fall back into my gas can and run that through the chainsaw in the winter. I usually keep as little mixed fuel around as possible. And I use Stabil.
Works for me.
Iowa Dave
Go to the nearest airport and buy some AvGas. It is 100 octane Low Lead, which means it is leaded gas so don't stand close to the exhaust for that and all other reasons. I wonder how it would work in a generator Don't tell the neighbors.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #33

Aviation fuel

I don’t know much about aviation fuel but I’ve pumped a lot of standard oil 97 octane back in the day. Rita’s dad used to run those Kiekhaffer (sp) mercury outboards back in the early 60s. He got some aviation fuel at the airport and mixed the oil.. The 22 was singing right along until he melted a hole in the top of the piston. A little overhaul time and less aviation gas in the mix and away he went again. Those old Mercs would run pretty good. Unethical but they used to flush ducks on the river and shoot them running wide open and try to get them to tumble into the boat. Ah but I digress.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Go to the nearest airport and buy some AvGas. It is 100 octane Low Lead, which means it is leaded gas so don't stand close to the exhaust for that and all other reasons. I wonder how it would work in a generator Don't tell the neighbors.
Octane doesn't address the ethanol issue though.

Octane is the opposite of what most people think it is. The higher the octane, the more resistance to ignition the fuel has. This can be problematic in a small engine because it may not be able to provide adequate spark to completely burn the fuel. That'll mean wasted fuel and less power produced. It's a better idea to use the octane level recommended by the engine manufacturer.

By the way, diesel fuel is kind of the opposite of gasoline. It's measured with a cetane rating, not octane. The fuel mix is compared to cetane for how well it burns. The higher the cetane rating, the better it burns.

Many people think that higher octane means it burns easier, but it's more like the opposite. I think this misconception is partly caused by not understanding the cause of a symptom. For example, someone hears the engine pinging and then they switch to a higher octane and the pinging goes away. They conclude that this must mean the engine wasn't burning the low octane fuel properly but the higher octane resulted in a better burn. Nope. What caused the pinging was that the lower octane fuel was basically exploding because it was too easy to burn. The higher octane eliminated the pinging because it was now harder to burn the fuel, not easier.

If you have an engine and ignition system that's designed to burn higher octane fuel, then by all means go for it. But, bottom line is that running a very high octane on an engine and ignition system that isn't designed for it will result in an engine that wastes fuel and produces less power.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... The higher the octane, the more resistance to ignition the fuel has. ...
Are you saying that high octane fuel is relatively more resistant to even spark ignition?? I was always taught and told that the higher octane rating, the more it was resistant to self-ignition from compression alone. A high octane rating meant that the fuel mixture could be compressed to a higher pressure and still wait for a spark ignition without pre-ignition from the heat of compression alone. The "pinging" one hears from burning low octane fuel is from the fuel mixture pre-igniting from compression heat alone, before the piston reaches top dead center, rather than waiting for a spark from the spark plug to ignite the fuel mixture. Am I misunderstanding something, or are we just talking semantics?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Are you saying that high octane fuel is relatively more resistant to even spark ignition?? I was always taught and told that the higher octane rating, the more it was resistant to self-ignition from compression alone. A high octane rating meant that the fuel mixture could be compressed to a higher pressure and still wait for a spark ignition without pre-ignition from the heat of compression alone. The "pinging" one hears from burning low octane fuel is from the fuel mixture pre-igniting from compression heat alone, before the piston reaches top dead center, rather than waiting for a spark from the spark plug to ignite the fuel mixture. Am I misunderstanding something, or are we just talking semantics?
We are saying similar things. The fact that a higher octane fuel can "wait" for a spark ignition as you put it means it has a higher resistance to ignition. Regardless of compression, lower octane has less resistance to ignition, and high octane has higher resistance to ignition. And yes, the preignition in a pinging engine indicates that the fuel burns too easily - a lower resistance to ignition - whether its compression ignition or spark ignition, it's still ignition.

And in any case, running AVGas in a small motor like a chainsaw is probably not going to work very well. These are lower compression engines designed to use the normal octane range of 85 to 90 or so.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Aside from the octane issues, please don't burn leaded fuel. The aviation and motorsport industries have no excuse for still using this stuff, and generator users certainly don't.

If your concern is ethanol (or methanol) content, and you can't get alcohol-free gasoline at gas stations (even as premium), then there are several alcohol-free (or at least ethanol-free, and sometimes identified as non-oxygenated) unleaded auto racing fuel choices. As an example, RFD offers FURY SL95:
Quote:
SL95 is an ethanol-free unleaded race, small engine and storage fuel that won’t gum up carbs or cause issues like todays average pump fuels. SL95 can be used as a storage fuel or in an exotic car that requires ethanol-free fuel. SL95 is a 100% clear fuel great for motorcycles, powersports, street rods, vintage cars, boats and small engine applications.
I'm not actually suggesting RFD specifically; they just have a nice description. There are non-oxygenated and unleaded racing fuels from Sunco, and VP Fuels lists six non-oxygenated unleaded fuels.

The mis-named pure-gas.org lists about thirteen thousand stations across Canada and the U.S. selling ethanol-free (and obviously unleaded) gasoline. For instance, Robert, they list two in San Antonio:
UNBRANDED, 91 octane, Schneider Distributing, 325-482-8922, 1 S Abe St
MURPHY, 87, Murphy Usa, 210-522-0010, 7639 I-410 Access Rd
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote