One coooooold night! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have always carried an extra 20 lbs tank, mainly because I haven’t had a propane QD on the trailer, and I get put the barbecue far from the trailer.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I have always carried an extra 20 lbs tank, mainly because I haven’t had a propane QD on the trailer, and I get put the barbecue far from the trailer.
I wanted to get another smaller tank mainly for the barbecue, but the price was too high . We just open both tanks and use the switch regulator as designed . Especially before a long trip make sure both tanks are full . Or if short trip and know propane is easy to get , don’t worry . The only thing we may forget is at a campground and have electric to turn off gas when we arrive .We travel with gas on for refrigerator . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I have had so-so luck with the Mopeka Tank sensors. I have been using them for a couple of years now. I had one fail (replaced under warranty), and the other one seems to be a bit flakey now. but when they work, they work great.

They get attached via magnets to the bottom of the propane tank, and I think the failure rate is due to moisture accumulating under the tank. but they do give you an alert on your smart device when you go below 20% on a tank.

Like Glenn, I have a 5 lb LP tank for my portable grill. I could use that in a pinch.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Bummer Steve! Last month had the refer alarm go off at 2AM(seems to be always 2-4 AM). Had to go out and open the other tank. Long ago I decided this was the best way to be sure I don't end up in this situation.
I don't understand why folks don't just leave both tanks open and let the regulator switch automatically from one to the other. I monitor casually and when the gage indicates the switchover to the second tank, it's time to think about replacing the first. Never have a 2 am wake up for that problem.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I carry a 10 lb. tank for the BBQ in addition to the two 20lb. tanks on the trailer. That's my back up plan.
I do the same. Not only is furnace heat assured but also cooking and hot water.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I don't understand why folks don't just leave both tanks open and let the regulator switch automatically from one to the other. I monitor casually and when the gage indicates the switchover to the second tank, it's time to think about replacing the first. Never have a 2 am wake up for that problem.

Especially since it will likely make the switch over some time between one and five AM. You can check your tanks after breakfast or whenever it is convenient. You don't have to get up in the middle of the night to open a tank.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I have had so-so luck with the Mopeka Tank sensors. I have been using them for a couple of years now. I had one fail (replaced under warranty), and the other one seems to be a bit flakey now. but when they work, they work great.

They get attached via magnets to the bottom of the propane tank, and I think the failure rate is due to moisture accumulating under the tank. but they do give you an alert on your smart device when you go below 20% on a tank.

Like Glenn, I have a 5 lb LP tank for my portable grill. I could use that in a pinch.
That is disappointing. Was wondering about those . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I follow the G Baglo method and carry a spare 10 lb tank in my trucks
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #29
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Wow, what a memory, waking up to 19 inside the trailer! Yikes...thanks for sharing.

So far, we've been opening both LP tanks and attach a clothes pin to the tank that is currently in use. As long as the inside mirror on our cover shows green and the lever is pointing to the 'clothes pin' tank, we're good...and we keep a hawk eye out for the red light. Each time we refill the 'clothes pin' tank and put it back, we switch the indicator leveler (so it shows green again) and move the clothes pin to the other tank (in current use). That way, that the indicator tab is always pointing to the 'clothes pin' tank. Just a simple sanity check, for us.

However, I admit, we are depending on the green/red indicator switch to work properly. I hope the failure rate on this is low. Thus, carrying another spare tank or switching to Costco tanks at some point in the future is worth considering....Thanks! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
So I don't end up like OP with zero propane! You gotta look at the gauge and sometimes time flies due to a whole lots 'o fun and it doesn't happen. Write it off to dif'rent strokes.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post

I was almost ready to give up on the Mopeka sensors, until I realized that the rubber donut I installed on the bottom of the tanks were preventing them (tanks not sensors) from sitting totally flat and level. Once I trimmed the rubber so they fit in the tray properly suddenly the sensors became rock solid! They have been near perfect all season and am now really happy with them.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not understand what the commotion is about refilling tanks, I get mine done at the factory every 2-3 years.....
Old 10-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Me too. I'd rather risk the propane from one tank running out at an inconvenient time but know that I had an untouched tank in reserve.
Ron
Yep, my routine is to keep the valve in the off position on one tank. Sure, I may have to run outside in the middle of a shower and open the valve, but at least I will know there is propane while I'm freezing. Plus since I use a 10 pound tank for the grill and Coleman stove, I have that as a backup. And the long-johns in case the first two options go bust.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #34

Quote:
That is what I do. leave both tanks open while traveling. let the mopeka sensors alert me when tank 1 gets low and refill it at the next reasonable opportunity.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I was almost ready to give up on the Mopeka sensors, until I realized that the rubber donut I installed on the bottom of the tanks were preventing them (tanks not sensors) from sitting totally flat and level. Once I trimmed the rubber so they fit in the tray properly suddenly the sensors became rock solid! They have been near perfect all season and am now really happy with them.
I don't have a problem with the tanks sitting level. It just takes a bit of futzing to get them to sit right in the tray. My problem is the sensors start to go bad and they say the reading is "low quality". In both cases, when I remove the sensor one of the magnets stays on the tank rather than coming off with the sensor. when I replaced the battery in the latest sensor I noticed a several drops of water inside the sensor. But my sensors are a couple of years old. I notice the newer sensor that I got is a bit thinner and seems to be a bit more watertight. I also removed the sensors from the tanks as part of the winterization process. I figure that being out in the cold isn't good for them either.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Wondering if you guys check the fridge for how many beers are left so you don't run out, or do you keep another dozen in the truck?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Wondering if you guys check the fridge for how many beers are left so you don't run out, or do you keep another dozen in the truck?
funny one glenn, coffee snorter in am....
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Glenn, I have been looking for a beer sensor that will alert my iPhone when I get low on beer in the fridge. so far I haven't found it. When I do find it, I am going to make it play on my phone...
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 19'
I made a little plexiglass window on the front of the propane cover on my '19. It makes checking for the changeover from green to red on the regulator much easier. I turn both bottles on and when I see red I know it's time to find a propane filling station. Haven't run out in 2.5 years, yet!
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
One of the reasons I use electric radiator heaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Feature Comfort.jpg