Pay With Gasbuddy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Pay With Gasbuddy

I recently signed up for Pay With Gasbuddy. I'm pretty skeptical and cautious about some things, so I thought I'd wait and see if I liked it before posting.

The way it works is it links your checking account to a Gasbuddy Card. You have a driver ID (your pin) which you enter when you swipe the card at the pump. It works at any gas station, but only for fuel purchases.

The first time you fill up you get 15 cents credit per gallon. Then it's 10 cents per gallon off for the introductory period, and finally 5 cents off per gallon permanently. The card is free, and there are no fees.

I just looked at my bank statement and sure enough, they credited me 15 cents per gallon on my first fill up, which was 34 gallons. So that came to $5.10 off on that tank of gas. Not bad for a free program.

I'll also add that the Gasbuddy app has helped me find the lowest gas price in an area several times, which can often mean a price difference of 10 cents per gallon.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just got the Gas Buddy app. I've been watching prices at a couple Shell stations nearby because I have a 4 cents off coupon. I keep seeing 152.9 for regular on Gas Buddy, but when I drive by ( I have a half tank so I don't need to stop ) the price is 158.9.

I have reported the price as 158.9, but when I look later, Gas Buddy says 152.9. This has been going on for almost a week.

I'm about to delete the app for wasting my time. Looks like the same person is reporting prices at numerous stations.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Yeah, there have been a few that I've found to be inaccurate. You can use the contact form to report repetitively bad info. I guess it's just the nature of the beast, relying on public reporting.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 AM   #4

Gas tank on my RAV4 is so small that I can't be bothered to drive out of my way to buy 'cheap' gas. I still have close to half a tank, so I'll keep watching. Meantime, I sent an email to Gas Buddy.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
....I'll also add that the Gasbuddy app has helped me find the lowest gas price in an area several times, which can often mean a price difference of 10 cents per gallon.
how is it for finding diesel, do you happen to know?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Same, as far as I know. Although I'm thinking there would be fewer reports and maybe less accuracy?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Interesting; I had not heard of this, but it isn't in Canada.

It is the first I've heard of someone using debit card payment processing this way, and appears to be based on the lower cost of processing debit transactions rather than credit transactions, for purchases of significant value. But does it really work with the magnetic stripe, rather than the embedde

Of course it won't really work at "any gas station", even in the U.S....
From Pay with GasBuddy:
Quote:
You can use your Pay with GasBuddy card at 95% of the fuel stations nationwide - some small, local, retailers may not accept the Pay with GasBuddy card. All major fuel retailers accept the Pay with GasBuddy card with the exception of the following brands: Exxon Mobil, BJs, Costco, Sam's Club, H-E-B, Select Walmart stations.
Costco usually saves me CA$0.04/L (about US$0.12/USgal) compared to other stations - double that recently - and only currently takes debit cards and Mastercard in Canada. My usual credit card gets me a greater kickback (I mean, "cash bonus") than the US$0.10/USgal incentive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Quote:
Same, as far as I know. Although I'm thinking there would be fewer reports and maybe less accuracy?
It probably depends on area - where there are lots of diesel consumers using the app and entering prices, it should be fine. So here, while I can't confirm accuracy, most stations show a reported diesel price (and a few stations don't sell diesel).
Old 05-31-2018, 01:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Costco usually saves me CA$0.04/L (about US$0.12/USgal) compared to other stations - double that recently - and only currently takes debit cards and Mastercard in Canada. My usual credit card gets me a greater kickback (I mean, "cash bonus") than the US$0.10/USgal incentive.
As you likely know Brian in the US you can only use Visa cards, however our Capital One Mastercard combined membership card also works in US Costcos. I educated the cashier I had in Minneapolis yesterday who was not aware of this.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Good point about Costco Brian. In our area the Costco can sometimes be more than 5 cents cheaper than surrounding stations, making the Pay With Gasbuddy card a worse deal. What we often find is that although the Costco is lower, it's further away, and with much longer lines, so the Gasbuddy card fits our situation. Of course, everyone's situation is different.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
The Weigels stores in Tenn give up to 10 cents off for using their debit card and their stores. My Sam's Club MC gives me a 5 cent/gal cash rebate on gas. I got a rebate check for $386 this year.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
The Weigels stores in Tenn give up to 10 cents off for using their debit card and their stores. My Sam's Club MC gives me a 5 cent/gal cash rebate on gas. I got a rebate check for $386 this year.
Yes, there are lots of different cards and programs. The Gasbuddy card was new to me, and that's why I posted about it. One advantage over some cards is that you don't have to provide your financial info with a conventional application, there's no credit check, no fees, no interest. If you use your bank's Debit MC or Debit Visa to buy gas, as I often do, then the Gasbuddy card is found money.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
In our area the Costco can sometimes be more than 5 cents cheaper than surrounding stations, making the Pay With Gasbuddy card a worse deal. What we often find is that although the Costco is lower, it's further away, and with much longer lines, so the Gasbuddy card fits our situation. Of course, everyone's situation is different.
Absolutely. There are not a lot of Costco stations, so although it is our normal source at home (at one of the several stations in the Edmonton area), while traveling we don't usually find them in convenient locations and so just when we are buying a lot of gas we get it from other stations.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
If you use your bank's Debit MC or Debit Visa to buy gas, as I often do, then the Gasbuddy card is found money.
I normally use credit cards, and never pay interest on them (never carry a balance!) or fees to have them. Since I even get that kickback, the GasBuddy card wouldn't be an improvement, but everyone's card situation is different.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
The GasBuddy app says it contains ads. How bothersome are they? I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to access the gasbuddy website instead (smart phones nowadays...).
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The GasBuddy app says it contains ads. How bothersome are they? I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to access the gasbuddy website instead (smart phones nowadays...).
The ads seem to only occur on the home tab. I don't really use that and prefer to search using the map. So I would say the apps aren't obtrusive. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180531-200503_GasBuddy.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	31844
Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Costco is our preferred gas source (Top Tier fuel), and discount with their card, however am seeing more evidence that other stations are almost the same in areas Costco competes(without line hassles). Chevron & Mobil in Coeur D'Alene are $.02 higher. Back home Valero in Morro Bay is same price. We have the Valero card which auto debits and in the West they are a competitive choice with the card and are Top Tier.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #18

I deleted the Gas Buddy app today after seeing prices listed on the app at 152.9 and at the pump 158.9. Not wasting gas chasing ghosts.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Costco gas today in south Winnipeg very busy, could be that their price is $1.17.4 compared to other places in Wpg at $1.29.9. Worth waiting in line since Beth was busy shopping in store anyway.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:56 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Costco gas today in south Winnipeg very busy, could be that their price is $1.17.4 compared to other places in Wpg at $1.29.9. Worth waiting in line since Beth was busy shopping in store anyway.
That's high but not super high Adrian. Equivalent to about $3.43 USD per US Gallon, similar to some places in the lower 48.