Radon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Radon

A odorless gas, it is a natural occurring decomposition of inert materials found in basements/crawlspaces in all but a handful of states. It is also found in well water. I'm in the process of testing my house now and there are remediation measures one can take
see here for details https://geopub.epa.gov/Radon/
Old 01-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Radon is a significant indoor problem in our geographic area. I did a radon mitigation system install myself and took ours down to "safe" levels. Interestingly US and Canada have very different levels considered safe. Rather than buying many of the one time test kits I bought one of these: Siren Series Radon Detector

What I have learned is that a short time interval test is very suspect. Radon levels can vary greatly based on weather and soil conditions. Very cold/frozen ground periods and also when the ground is very saturated will show significantly increased levels. I highly recommend relatively long term testing to get an somewhat accurate reading.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Radon

I've sold two houses, both were tested for Radon and both were free of problems as they tested but who knows for sire unless all protocols are followed and varying conditions are considered? Good luck on your test Jim. A friend of mine in Waverly, Iowa got his testing certification and last I knew was using Radon Testing as his retirement job. Said it was a good go.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

I was looking at those detectors but they have to be recalibrated ($$$) routinely. I do try to not spend that much time in the basement, more for peace of mind. But I do plan on testing it a couple of times to get a true reading. This one costs more but is supposed to be accurate without recalibration. https://www.amazon.com/Corentium-Air...EZ3SDYKE1KJ514 Then there is the manometer, I thought life would get simpler. It is required now if you sell your home, the test that is.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim,I figure that the recalibration is for using them professionally. Since I'm just using it for ballpark figures here at my place I imagine it stays close enough. The manometer is relatively cheap and only needed if you have the blower fan system in operation.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim,I figure that the recalibration is for using them professionally. Since I'm just using it for ballpark figures here at my place I imagine it stays close enough.
makes sense, another option to consider. Now to find a sump pump cover that will fit mine.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
makes sense, another option to consider. Now to find a sump pump cover that will fit mine.
You're lucky then! I had to take out a chunk of the basement concrete floor and then remove dirt underneath it to make a cavity by hand - not high on my list of fun jobs. If we didn't have our elliptical machine that we both exercise with in the basement, I think I would have skipped it all. Or just looked at the pre 2007 Canadian "safe" levels instead of the US ones!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

My house is located in an area called Springdale, with you guessed it, springs. Although it has survived 70 years without one, I installed a sump pump and drainage system awhile back, the original french drain allowed the basement to be damp They excavated around the perimeter and laid gravel and pipes that drain into the sump pit where it is then pumped out. All of this construction and now open areas in the basement I think may have solved my dampness issue but now it allows the radon an egress to the basement. So solving one issue has created another problem.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Imagine this, a Badger complaining about having to dig a hole. Non Sequiter. Just kidding Eric, I know you're a displaced Illinioian (sp?)
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Imagine this, a Badger complaining about having to dig a hole. Non Sequiter. Just kidding Eric, I know you're a displaced Illinioian (sp?)
Dave
Ever since 2010 I've been feeling more and more displaced...

Old 01-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #11

Floyd over on FGRV calls it "Illanoy"
Old 01-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I have had one of these for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siren-.../dp/B011ACOMK0
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I do try to not spend that much time in the basement, more for peace of mind.
This thread sounds like a good excuse to get out camping...
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Exactly - the less time you spend at home, the less the problem!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not this guy
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20170106-103941.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A odorless gas, it is a natural occurring decomposition of inert materials found in basements/crawlspaces in all but a handful of states.
Well, I wouldn't call radioactive decay "decomposition", and while uranium isn't highly chemically reactive I think it's misleading to suggest that "inert materials" decompose to produce radon. Uranium-238 and thorium-232 are the only elements which produce radon (via intermediates including radium); neither is inert. The radon gas may be found in basements, but the source is not; basements are just places where radon may accumulate.

The point is that there is nothing sudden happening here. If there's a significant amount of radon in your basement, there probably has been as long as the basement has existed.

So, if the soil in your area contains enough uranium, it might be worth checking for radon; inhaling the gas is a meaningful health risk. On the other hand, I can't imagine going the trouble and expense of running a continuous detector unless a local problem has been identified. That's just my take on it.

A trailer is the ultimate solution - no way for radon to accumulate under that floor!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #17

Brian,
Did you click on the map, it shows radon as be prevalent in more that 30 states, at levels deemed unhealthy. and with our cancer deaths rising there must be a relationship.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Ann Coulter - March 16, 2011 - A GLOWING REPORT ON RADIATION

For a slightly different perspective. (Let the flaming begin)
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian,
Did you click on the map, it shows radon as be prevalent in more that 30 states, at levels deemed unhealthy.
Yes, I looked the map. It doesn't say there are radon problems everywhere in 30 states; it shows counties in Zone 1 representing a minority of the area of the U.S., and even within those counties not every location is the same.

I did say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
So, if the soil in your area contains enough uranium, it might be worth checking for radon; inhaling the gas is a meaningful health risk.
Quote:
and with our cancer deaths rising there must be a relationship.
No, if rates are rising, it would not rationally be due to radon, which has existed at the same levels (other than in areas affected by improperly handled waste of activity such as uranium processing) for much longer than humans have existed. The radon risk is relatively newly recognized (the last few decades), but the risk is not new.

I was not aware of the number radon detectors which are now available to consumers. The potential market for those certainly seems to me to be a likely reason for testing to be encouraged.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Ann Coulter - March 16, 2011 - A GLOWING REPORT ON RADIATION

For a slightly different perspective. (Let the flaming begin)
Just the person I'd look toward for unbiased reporting...