Random Thoughts on RVing in New Zealand - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Random Thoughts on RVing in New Zealand

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON RVS (CARAVANS) IN NEW ZEALAND
  1. Rv's in New Zealand (NZ) tend to be small. The average motorhome style is about 20-21' long, with trailers about the same or smaller. We saw only one fifth-wheel trailer that was comparable to the norm in the US at about 28'. This is probably due to a combination of factors, including narrow, twisting roads, small parking spaces, and expensive gas (about $5/gal US, though diesel is about 30% cheaper).
  2. Rv's in NZ do not have black tanks, they are prohibited. Instead they use a system of a cassette that is removed from the side of the unit and taken to a dump station (kind of like a porta-potty) Nearly every rv we saw had this system, since it is required in order to be able to display a sticker that it is self contained.
  3. NZ has province operated parks with some rv sites, but not as many as we see in the US. They usually have only electrical hookups, sometimes with central grey water dump and fresh water. Almost never do they have on-site full hookups, due to no black tanks. There are some commercial parks which may have full hookups, but we did not check on them. Commercial sites tend to be expensive at $50-100 US per night.
  4. One of the most noteworthy differences from the US is the existence of 'Freedom Camping'. This is analogous to boondocking, but much more available and totally acceptable. It is approved by cities and provinces, with designated areas all over the place. Cities post signage and directions and generally allow a few days at each site. There are no services available, but they are often right in town. There is no charge. Usually there will only be a few sites available, 2-10. It is not uncommon to find them at prime areas near beaches, etc.
  5. How many times have you been behind a loaded livestock transport truck in the US? Do not follow too close! In NZ the livestock trucks are required to have black collection and tanks built into the trailer, with roadside dump stations specifically designed for them. My theory is this is due to the fact that in NZ sheep outnumber humans 10:1 and they all need transport to market.
  6. It is commonly posted and emphasized that NZ is different in that it takes longer to get anywhere. They advise estimating twice as long as you expect. Our experience confirms this. A trip of 100 miles will take 2-2 ½ hours. This is probably due to a combination of the roads and speed limits. Most of the roads are two lanes, relatively narrow and many very twisty (it is not uncommon to encounter 15-20 mph turns). The top speed limit, even on the motorways (freeways) is 100 km/hr (60mph). The average speed limit is 70-90 km/hr (42-54 mph), with 30 mph normal in congested areas. They also have some unique solutions to traffic and road size. There are a lot of one lane bridges where the road narrows. Well signed to designate who has the right of way. Unusual, but it works well. There are also a lot of well signed passing lanes with everyone staying left if not actually passing.
  7. In the scenic areas of both islands there are numerous rv's, but most of them seem to be rentals. The two main brands seem to be Britz and Jucy, though there are many others. In talking to different people they are apparently fairly expensive, at $75-125/day. If you decide to rent an rv or car consider flying into the south island (Christchurch) to start. Most of the rental vehicles end up there, having been rented in Auckland. One can get excellent rates to return a rental to Auckland. One I spoke with was paying $1/day ($.60 US) for 7 days to return the rv.
  8. Other drivers are unfailingly courteous and helpful. In a month of travel we never heard anyone honk a horn, and when there are merging lanes everyone, including the truckers, allow easy, fair merging. Kiwis seem to be very law abiding. We saw no-one driving more than 5km/h over the limit, no reckless driving, a lot of awareness that there are a lot of foreigners driving their roads, many for the first time on the left side of the road. In a month driving both islands we probably saw only 5-10 police (other than at security in the airports). Only saw one who had pulled someone over. When I asked about this the response was “we do not need them”.
  9. We were there from mid-September to mid-October. In the southern hemisphere this was early spring. We started in the southern part of the South Island and followed Spring as we drove north. Snow in the south to oranges and avocados in the north. New Zealand distances and climate are similar to the west coast of the US from Seattle to San Diego.

We did not rent an RV, though we considered it, and were glad we did not. Instead we arranged places to stay through a B&B rental service, staying at each 2-4 nights. It worked well for us. We took about 35 days and toured both the North and South islands fairly comprehensively. If you have less time than that I would recommend concentrating on one island.

I would not recommend rental of an RV in NZ if you are coming from the States. Driving on the left side of the road, the narrow and twisting roads, unusual signage, the tight parking in towns and scenic places and high ferry fares would, in my opinion, cause enough stress and limit the ability to actually enjoy the trip to make it not worthwhile.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that if there was an award for the country most welcoming to RVing, it would be New Zealand, hands down.

We rented a Mercedes van and did both the North and South islands. Love the "freedom camping" mentality and we made good use of it. Rarely stayed at a commercial site.

The cassette toilets work really well. The reason is because they're in common and widespread use so dumps are readily available. Not like here where folks with porta-potties to empty sometimes have to do it in unsuitable locations.

We've driven "on the wrong side of the road" in many countries. It's actually no big deal. We've never had any difficulty at all.

Loved the twisty roads on the North Island especially. Slow to 80 signs going into a hairpin turn. Those Kiwis have a real sense of humor. The Mercedes van handled like a dream. I loved it. If I didn't like having the trailer detachable from the tug I'd have one.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
PA041009_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When touring Wales in a rental car many years ago the only time I got momentarily/totally de-oriented/terrified was when negotiating one of their round-abouts.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm more terrified by the round-abouts that are popping up all over the place around home. In most other countries that have had them for years at least every one knows the rules. Around here, not so much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We've had them around here in MA since forever, folks still don't use them correctly.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Unless I've forgotten the rule at an intersection one is to yield to the vehicle on the right. But in a round-about, one yields to the vehicle in the round-about, which will be to the left.

That would be fine, except some of the new round-abouts are the size of a hubcap. Not sure how one determines who is in the round-about.

From BC Motor Vehicle Ace:

Yield to traffic that's already inside the roundabout—it has the right of way. Drive counter-clockwise within the asphalt lane. There is usually a raised or coloured apron around the centre island in the roundabout.

If you reach an uncontrolled intersection at close to the same time, the vehicle who actually reached the intersection last is the driver who must yield the right of way. If you reach the intersection at the same time, the driver on the left should yield the right of way.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
They’ve started putting them in Texas. In low traffic area as they are great.......in high traffic areas in has made things worse.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
I prefer roundabouts to 4 way stops, much more efficient. But it does require good drivers and not just mindlessly going from point a to point b. (Heaven forbid a cell phone.)

And in NZ remember to LOOK RIGHT, NOT LEFT!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Years ago we went to NZ in January (their summer) after the schools were back in session. There were too many RVs on the Southern Island so we were able to rent an RV for about the price of a car and we drove it to Auckland for them. They even paid for the ferry.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Thanks, marant, good information.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote