Record Gas Prices in Vancouver - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not contemplating crossing the border for gas. I'd have to fill up here before driving over an hour to the border, sitting in the border line-up idling, sitting in Blaine at the pumps line-up and turning back for another border line-up.
I'd "save" about $24 if you don't count the gas I used to get to Blaine and back, and my time ( $0 ). RAV4 gas tank is so small, there is no point.
Hi: gbaglo... "Well it's alright now... In fact it's a gas!!!" We'll make sure we fill 'er up before we cross the line. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #22

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not contemplating crossing the border for gas. I'd have to fill up here before driving over an hour to the border, sitting in the border line-up idling, sitting in Blaine at the pumps line-up and turning back for another border line-up.
I'd "save" about $24 if you don't count the gas I used to get to Blaine and back, and my time ( $0 ). RAV4 gas tank is so small, there is no point.
I agree, the value proposition is very different between North Van and South Surrey. It's only 8 km for me and I can cross late in the evening on a weeknight when the wait times are only 5-10 minutes. Out and back in 45 minutes. Unfortunately I can't play the gerry can game as my wife has scent sensitivities and we drive an SUV. Unless you have a sedan or a pickup, there's always a residual gassy smell in the passenger compartment.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
I agree, the value proposition is very different between North Van and South Surrey. It's only 8 km for me and I can cross late in the evening on a weeknight when the wait times are only 5-10 minutes. Out and back in 45 minutes. Unfortunately I can't play the gerry can game as my wife has scent sensitivities and we drive an SUV. Unless you have a sedan or a pickup, there's always a residual gassy smell in the passenger compartment.
I take it you have not eaten Alf's AKA Escape Artist 's famous beans.
We had a little residual gassy smell in the trailer afterwards.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
F 250 with canopy.
Gas hog but lots of power.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #25
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is just in Vancouver area, I believe. It is relatively high here too, I just filled up yesterday at $1.25/l and it is expected to rise another $.05-0.10 for the summer.
It is not that bad outside of the GVRD (Greater Vancouver Regional District). Gas here is 139.9-144.9/L here in Abbotsford, 35 minutes west of Chilliwack... it's definitely not great, though. Yay for lightweight trailers!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Just for giggles, Osoyoos is currently $1.47/l regular.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Just for giggles, Osoyoos is currently $1.47/l regular.
High, but not shockingly so for US buyers. That comes to about $4.34 USD a US gallon with the exchange rate factored in. Calculated the other way around, our gas is running about 83 US cents (1.07 CAD) per liter right now. It's gone up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Is my math right, we'd pay $4.72 USD for a gallon of gas in BC?
At CAD 1.60 per litre, yes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually we've been paying the highest gas prices in Canada for as long as I can remember.
Maybe of major cities, but remote areas routinely pay more than Vancouver... even without exceptional local taxes. The CBC article gives a current example of $1.733/L on Haida Gwaii; the last time that I drove across the country prices in much of Northern Ontario were just as high as Vancouver, and places further off the beaten track than we ventured were even higher.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our local TV station said that gas in our area ( Northern Wisconsin ) maybe $4.00 USD / Gallon this summer .
They named several reasons one being the recent refinery fire in our area .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
With the amount of crude in Canada we should have the cheapest gas in North America...but no...they want to build a pipeline to the coast and sell it elsewhere. I say they should have to refine for Canadians the same amount they sell to other countries. Make these companies that want to sell our national fuel resources build refineries and service us first!

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Make these companies that want to sell our national fuel resources build refineries and service us first!
Who is going to invest 8 billion dollars ( US ) to build a refinery to supply more gas to a shrinking market? If there was a market for more gas in the future, you can bet the investment would be there.
Refineries aren't made of Lego and take decades to turn a profit.
BC's Premier John Horgan thinks somebody should build a refinery. If he puts my money where his mouth is, he'll be out of office shortly.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Saw this on CBC. Wow, I'd imagine that $8 a gallon gas has to have a negative effect?
Even the predicted higher price for the summer is "only" CA$1.65/L, or US$4.88/USgal. Every time prices go up significantly, the wailing about doom and gloom fills the media, but strangely when prices go down the world isn't suddenly seen as a wonderful place where excess cash flows freely and tourists drive in from everywhere.

The consistently higher price of fuel in Vancouver, compared to most other areas of Canada, is one factor in the public vehicle fleet composition being a little different; for instance, there are fewer large pickups and more small hybrid taxis in Vancouver than Edmonton. There are other factors, too: I wouldn't want to park a big pickup in the small parking spots common in the Vancouver area, where land prices are high and everything is a little more jammed together than here. Higher gas prices may drive a little more shift in vehicle choices, but frankly I don't think many people prioritize fuel economy very highly compared to the other features they want in a vehicle, and I don't think they'll start any time soon.

Looking at the last decade of regular gasoline prices from GasBuddy (not even adjusted for inflation), I don't see any reason to get especially excited about the current price. It's not much different from 2011 to 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
10YearGasPrices-US-Can-Van.JPG  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
High, but not shockingly so for US buyers. That comes to about $4.34 USD a US gallon with the exchange rate factored in. Calculated the other way around, our gas is running about 83 US cents (1.07 CAD) per liter right now. It's gone up quite a bit in the last couple of weeks.
It looks like San Antonio tracks the U.S. average pretty closely, but of course is well below Canadian prices (note that zero is well below the bottom of the chart, so the chart exaggerates the difference if you don't notice that). Everyone has gone up recently, both because crude prices affect everyone, and because gasoline markets interact to some extent across significant distances.
Attached Thumbnails
10YearGasPrices-US-Can-SanAntonio.JPG