Share some of your favorite camping stories - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The one camping experience I really remember with the tent and sleeping bags was at a beautiful campground up in the Colorado Rockies. It was a beautiful evening and sunset, but then the temperature really dropped and by the middle of the night it was in the upper 20's. Talk about freezing your petunias. The kids were in grade school and didn't get any big thrill out of it either. So glad to be "past tents" and hearing that furnace kick in. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #62

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Took my daughter and her friend camping well off the beaten track. I got back to camp after fishing and found they had packed up the tent trailer and wanted to go home. Her friend had gotten her first period. Campground store had limited supplies. Bought every panty-liner they had. Kids managed to cope another couple days, but I was under pressure the whole time to go home early.
Glenn, nice to see a shorter version of the story you related in post #29

And that bridge in Duluth, we know it too, have been there but not overnight, although our Escape has. It was camped near the bridge the night before it arrived at our house!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Love this thread!! Around 1985 we were in Hungry Mother State Park in (I think) Virginia -- first night out on a three and a half month tent camping trip with two kids, 5 and 2 -- and the heavens opened up and it poured and poured. Our tent only leaked a little in the corners, but we were so conscious of being responsible for the two little kids. And there was only one other occupied campsite. All night long we heard them walking around and there was all this banging and low talking, and we were getting a little creeped out -- felt so vulnerable.

Then the next morning we found out that the other family was completely washed out and in an attempt to stay dry they were going back and forth all night long from the bathrooms (banging doors) to their truck.

Quite an initiation into the trip.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Glenn, nice to see a shorter version of the story you related in post #29
I knew it sounded familiar.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #65

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Another memorable one was this past summer with the Escape at a small, lakefront state campground with no utilities. A large Asian family pulled into the site across from us and spent the next half hour pacing back and forth up and down the road eyeing up our setup. They eventually approached me and wondered why they didn't have electric. I ended up spending the next hour helping them cook two frozen pizzas in their 1500W pizza oven with my generator so they could have dinner. The next morning they couldn't get their fire started and there wasn't much wood to collect because of other scavengers. Took them a bundle of wood and a hatchet and you would have thought I handed them a million dollars. I later figured out they were trying to cook breakfast. Later that day a huge rainstorm came through and their site and tent got completely flooded. (Sure is nice in a solid, fiberglass trailer when the storms hit!) They packed everything up and came over to say goodbye. Headed back to the city. We had a bit of a language barrier, but they were very nice and very appreciative of the help. Hopefully next time they know what the campsite offerings are and come better prepared. Also I hope somebody helps me out if I'm in a jam.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We gave a young European couple a cork screw. You would have thought it was solid silver.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #67

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
I was re-reading this thread and really enjoying it, so I thought I'd throw this story out.

Back when I was a Boy Scout my troop went to the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. While there we spent one day rock climbing and rappelling.

During his turn rappelling one of the guys in my patrol (Bob) slipped, bumped his leg, and let loose a string of curse words. The counselors didn't find it funny and asked him to apologize for "swearing at their rock". Bob refused, so his belay man held his rope and wouldn't let him down. Then they TOLD Bob to apologize. He refused again, and doubled down by throwing a few more curse words their way. His belay man then told Bob they were going to play "camper ball" until he not only apologized to, but also kissed the rock. Camperball consisted of the belay man holding your rope and running away from the rock until he pulled you off of it. Then he'd swing the rope. Eventually Bob came to his senses and made up with the rock.

I was next up and as expected the entire patrol pays for the sins of one member, so half way down the belay man stopped my rope and asked if I knew any songs. My answer was to start singing Jimmy Soul's "If You Wanna Be Happy" at the top of my lungs. The counselors were amused at first, but when the rest of my patrol started singing back up, they all lost it.

For those that don't know it the chorus starts with "if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife".
Here's a link to the song https://youtu.be/z4TOR7856d4

The song was 20 years old at the time and I don't think they'd ever heard it. We'd been annoying our scoutmasters with it the entire trip, so we had it down pretty well. It's a good thing I was hanging on to my line because my belay man was laughing so hard that he was pretty much useless.

In the end the counselors were appeased and the rest of our group got a pass from being picked on.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #68

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Scouts

Hi Jim
As a former scoutmaster I can well appreciate the scout camping stories. Seems like about every camp out had a memorable event. There's not enough time in the day to relate them all. Here's just one. I took the scouts on a high adventure from Iowa to Florida, Alabama and Mississippi. We stopped for lunch at a park at Appalachicola. The boys were walking around and naturally gravitated to the nearby lakeshore were numerous signs were posted, "no swimming, alligators! " They questioned the veracity of the signs. I took hold of one of the bigger kids belt and told him to thrash his bare foot in the water. In about 10 seconds a 6 or 7 foot gator came rocketing in from about 50 feet away. I was shortly wearing a 150 lb scout and backing up quickly. Rest of the trip they did not question signs. I was not much of a role model but the boys, now men, see me occasionally and tell me scouts was the best time of their growing up years.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #69

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Now we know what Dave uses for alligator bait.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #70

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My back hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Now we know what Dave uses for alligator bait.....
My craziness in Scouts and life in general has taken a toll on my body. The alligator bait kid is now a chiropractor in Ames Iowa. I think he owes me a treatment. From boys flying fighter
Jets, to a Jumbo Jet Captain, School teachers, computer programmers, and a grocery bag man. They all did ok for themselves
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
....The alligator bait kid is now a chiropractor in Ames Iowa. I think he owes me a treatment.
Dave
Probably lots of treatments - long term back injury from using you to effect an escape.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote