So Many Mods, So Little Time - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #141

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Hi Pat, sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, ouch ! I feel for you.

Curious, what does the Escape fiberglass shell have to do with back up camera install? Not thick enough ? I though the issue was the camera burning out ?

I am planning on installing a wired one and am wondering.
Again, sorry you are going through this.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #142

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I hear and understand all points in this. However, people complain here all the time about larger more established companies that won't make custom accommodations for the customer. ETI is moving slowly away from doing custom changes and have eliminated many that they used to be willing to do as they mature as a company. I.E. The heat tape on the tank outlets that was reported they won't do any longer.
Not saying either party is right or wrong, but this particular issue is an illustration of why companies begin to refuse to do customization. My guess is that when and if they reach the production levels of the other manufacturers, they will no longer do much customization. Enjoy it while it is here and available.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #143

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
This discussion reinforces my opinion that I don't want a permanently mounted camera on the back of my trailer. As I drive thru a local trailer storage lot where I have other trailers stored I don't see cameras attached to the rear of the big stickies and motorhomes. To me that would be a security issue as a $350.00 camera would be pretty easy to steal.
I am interested in getting a GoPro Hero IV or V with one of their cool mounting systems and having it wifi to my iPhone. Apparently there is a one or two second delay in the image and no mirror image software yet so it isn't ideal as a backup camera but on their site several people have asked about getting a software update to solve that issue. Maybe mount the camera to my bicycle helmet and when I need a backup camera I can strap the helmet to the top of the spare tire.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #144

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I hear and understand all points in this. However, people complain here all the time about larger more established companies that won't make custom accommodations for the customer. ETI is moving slowly away from doing custom changes and have eliminated many that they used to be willing to do as they mature as a company. I.E. The heat tape on the tank outlets that was reported they won't do any longer.
Not saying either party is right or wrong, but this particular issue is an illustration of why companies begin to refuse to do customization. My guess is that when and if they reach the production levels of the other manufacturers, they will no longer do much customization. Enjoy it while it is here and available.
Greg, you have hit upon my biggest concern with folks complaining about issues with Escape making modifications at customer request. Even though there are likely thousands made for every one that does not work out fine, it is those complained loudly about that get the most notice. This reflects badly on a company that otherwise is known for being so accommodating, and as you allude to will result in them willing to do less of this work for customers.

While I am more than willing to do just about any modification to my trailer, it certainly is great that Escape will do things that make the work I do easier, faster and less costly. For many, their set of skills differs from people like me, and they need to have someone else do the work, and if they have to do it post production, the costs would be even higher than mine.

For what it is worth, I do believe that issues like Pat's should be mentioned, as it will help others realize what all is involved in these modifications, and help them make more informed decisions. My objection is to putting the full blame for failure on Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #145

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
This discussion reinforces my opinion that I don't want a permanently mounted camera on the back of my trailer. As I drive thru a local trailer storage lot where I have other trailers stored I don't see cameras attached to the rear of the big stickies and motorhomes. To me that would be a security issue as a $350.00 camera would be pretty easy to steal.
I see a lot of large RV's with backup cameras. Some are mounted high up, some in the back window etc. I've never seen any that looked like an expensive piece of equipment that could be easily plucked off.

My backup camera cost about $15 and is hardwired to a dual display in my truck. No need to spend a lot on a camera.

I have to say that anyone wiring up a camera should realize that it shouldn't be on 24/7. I view that as a mistake made by the person wiring it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #146

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
I am interested in getting a GoPro Hero IV or V with one of their cool mounting systems and having it wifi to my iPhone. Apparently there is a one or two second delay in the image and no mirror image software yet so it isn't ideal as a backup camera but on their site several people have asked about getting a software update to solve that issue. Maybe mount the camera to my bicycle helmet and when I need a backup camera I can strap the helmet to the top of the spare tire.
lots of solutions other than a permanent mounted one...high tech to low tech ...even to asking a friendly grizzly to squat near the rear of the trailer and direct you!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #147

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi Pat, sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, ouch ! I feel for you.

Curious, what does the Escape fiberglass shell have to do with back up camera install? Not thick enough ? I though the issue was the camera burning out ?

I am planning on installing a wired one and am wondering.
Again, sorry you are going through this.
Thanks Santiago . I really don't know for sure . Why Escape installed camera to 12 volt source and not lights . There are u-tube video 's and the normal installations is to your clearance lights . That will give your camera off and on . It's also is fine to install to any 12 volt source as long as you install a switch to shut camera off , as my picture shows , so camera isn't always on when you aren't using camera . I will try to explain this the best I can . In a sticky trailer , you would have walls built on a smaller scale ,like a house, with chases to hide wiring , plumbing etc. . With the fiberglass it is a little more difficult to hide plumbing , wiring , etc. it requires some genius ways to accomplish this . I have a hard time communicating my thoughts Santiago . I know what I want to say but sometimes it doesn't come out right . Our camera is the wireless Voyager . Never had any problems with drop offs and moniter is very clear I recently learned all this when our last trip , camera was dead . Waited until I got home and finally got the answer . Then last Sat. had a chance to inspect a 2016 Oliver ,saw the switch leaving the trailer on the Oliver . Can't wait to see your refrigerator install and Thankyou for your support . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #148

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Fiberglass is a poor conductor of heat. Electronics generate heat which has to dissipate somewhere - otherwise they tend to let the smoke out.

From the evidence, the backup camera design was counting on dissipating the heat through the mount into the trailer shell. Metal trailer shell - good. Fiberglass trailer shell - not so good.

Also, sounds like a bad design on the camera - it should be able to be left on without self destructing. If properly designed, dissipation into the air is sufficient - ie, heatsinks, fans, etc. Surveillance cameras operate 24/7 with long service lives - a backup camera should be able to operate 24/7 too.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #149

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... As I drive thru a local trailer storage lot where I have other trailers stored I don't see cameras attached to the rear of the big stickies and motorhomes. To me that would be a security issue as a $350.00 camera would be pretty easy to steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I see a lot of large RV's with backup cameras. Some are mounted high up, some in the back window etc. I've never seen any that looked like an expensive piece of equipment that could be easily plucked off.
I agree with Ron. My motorhome came with a backup camera as standard equipment, it is permanently mounted (externally mounted on a bracket, centred on the back wall nearly at the top), it doesn't look like a particularly expensive bit of equipment, and it's not uncommon at all. They are less common on trailers, but I don't see why it would matter in storage whether the RV is a trailer or motorhome.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #150

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
From the evidence, the backup camera design was counting on dissipating the heat through the mount into the trailer shell. Metal trailer shell - good. Fiberglass trailer shell - not so good.
Thanks tdf, still how can a monitor manufacturer count on the RV having a metal skin/frame ?
If it generates that much heat it needs its own heat sink and or fan.

Glad I asked as I will be shopping for a wired one in the near future. I hope to turn if on/off inside the truck as I doubt I would want to see the scenery while driving, the mirrors do just fine but not when backing up. Maybe the wireless transmitter needs to dissipate a lot of heat I don't see how a camera would generate that much heat.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #151

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks tdf, still how can a monitor manufacturer count on the RV having a metal skin/frame ?

Glad I asked as I will be shopping for a wired one in the near future. I hope to turn if on/off inside the truck as I doubt I would want to see the scenery while driving, the mirrors do just fine but not when backing up. Maybe the wireless transmitter needs to dissipate a lot of heat I don't see how a camera would generate that much heat.
This is a good thought, as it really could not, and would not produce very much heat. I leave lots of electronic devices on 24/7.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #152

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Hi Santiago . It doesn't generate a lot of heat . The problem is not having the switch to turn it off for me . Especially if you only intended for backing up , It won't have enough time to heat up. If it is hooked up to your clearance lights , lights off , camera is off . It took over 2 years before it died . I think because I had cover on for 9 months before my recent trip . I had no idea camera was on , under cover , when I had my battery switch on . It just was too much . I was in trailer working and needed lights . Who knew . You will be fine I am sure . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #153

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Is there any chance that the fault actually lays with the camera, given, as has been pointed out, that security cameras are on 24/7/365 and other electronic devices are never turned off?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #154

Setting aside the wiring discussion for the moment...
It seems very unlikely to me that any competent designer of a backup camera for aftermarket installation on RVs would plan on using a metal RV body for heat dissipation. There are two reasons for this:
  1. most cameras are mounted with a bracket which provides very little useful conduction of heat, and
  2. very few RVs have metal exterior surfaces (with Airstream as the obvious exception representing a tiny fraction of the market); even aluminum-sided trailers routinely have moulded fiberglass end caps.
Auxiliary driving lamps, such as the high-powered LED units now popular on trucks and "offroad" vehicles, are routinely mounted with similar brackets to backup cameras. The lamps need to dissipate tens to hundreds of times as much heat, and have fins on their housings for cooling.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #155

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Back Up camera options

Quote:
I like your idea of using some type of "temporary" device to serve as a back up camera. Other option is to get an inexpensive wireless backup camera such as the one at Costco for $120 (Yada Wireless Backup Camera with 5” Dash Monitor).
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #156

I was given that Yada "wireless" camera. Read the instructions on wiring it ( has to have power and I would have to run wire from the camera to the transmitter. Too much for me so I checked cost of install at local shop. They quoted more than $300 and suggested I wouldn't be happy with the result in any case. Took the camera back to Costco.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #157

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
I was told it was best to connect it to the 12v back up light circuit, so it would only be on when the vehicle was in reverse. Didn't seem to be all that complicated. Can't speak for how well it actually works.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #158

Had to mount camera on license plate holder. Drill a hole in rear hatch and run the wire into the door. Remove upholstery to run wire along wiring chase to hinge side and into area inside where tail lights are. That's where you mount the transmitter and connect power.
That, and that I already had a TomTom and Sirius radio mount ( and only one 12V outlet nearby ) was enough for me to look up the nearest Costco and their return policy.
I bought Swift Hitch which really is wireless, but has narrow field of view so it's only good for hitching.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Hitch.png  
Old 11-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
I was told it was best to connect it to the 12v back up light circuit, so it would only be on when the vehicle was in reverse.
That makes sense. If you want to use the camera while moving forward, it could make sense to connect it to the tail light circuit - that is only on when the trailer is connected to the tug, and the driver can choose to have the tail lights on when towing, even in daytime.

The backup light circuit is not normally connected to an Escape, but the centre pin of the 7-pin connector - the auxiliary circuit - is available, and connected to a yellow wire ending in the termination box in the front of the trailer. The same circuit could be connected to a switch to be manually run by the driver, instead of the backup light circuit, if desired.

There's also the manually-switched-in-the-trailer approach, which depends on the idea that the driver will either
  • turn the switch on when hooking up and and off when unhitching (so it works all the time on the road and is never on when camped), or
  • get out to look before backing up, and turn the switch on at that time and off when done (so it would work only during the backing period, and can't be turned on while driving).
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #160

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
So Many Mods, So Little Time

Pat,

You only gave us a few facts:
1. your camera failed (that's a real bummer!)
2. It was on 24/7
3. It was covered for nine months
4. Oliver provides a power switch for their cameras

This is only one data point.

Did you research this topic and find that failure is common for similar cameras when left on 24/7?

Does Oliver provide a power switch because several failed or for some other reason? (For privacy or maybe to stop the power drain?)

Does the fact that your trailer was covered have any bearing on this? Since you had a cover on your trailer I assume it was in the sun. Perhaps the temperature under the cover was much higher than ambient.

Perhaps your camera failed for a completely unrelated reason.

I'd like to see a more authoritative failure analysis before saying that ETI should have known to install a switch.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote