Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think a responsible compromise would be a self-service lane and a "we'll do it for you" lane.
Choice! What a concept.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On the issue of "not filling my tank properly"; the pump should shut down the flow as soon as back pressure is detected. I'm not sure what your issue was exactly, but my company Dodge Neon would shut down the pump well before the gas gauge reached full. Sometimes it would take several attempts before the attendant could keep fuel flowing. You would have to be familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the car to know that you needed to add more fuel.
BTW, those year 2000 Dodge Neons are still the company cars for the photographers who haven't taken the buyout.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #23

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
On the issue of "not filling my tank properly"; the pump should shut down the flow as soon as back pressure is detected. I'm not sure what your issue was exactly, but my company Dodge Neon would shut down the pump well before the gas gauge reached full. Sometimes it would take several attempts before the attendant could keep fuel flowing. You would have to be familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the car to know that you needed to add more fuel.
BTW, those year 2000 Dodge Neons are still the company cars for the photographers who haven't taken the buyout.
There used to be certain vehicles that would shoot gas out of the filler tube and on you if you tried to pump it to fast. Most of us quickly learned which ones did that and which ones clicked off early and needed a few more gallons

And which customers when they came in and said 5 would then tell you they meant 5 gallons. One had apparently done it before so when he did it to me Earl made him pull over to the side and was going to remove the extra fuel. The guy decided to fork over the rest of the money.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quick thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
There used to be certain vehicles that would shoot gas out of the filler tube and on you if you tried to pump it to fast. Most of us quickly learned which ones did that and which ones clicked off early and needed a few more gallons

And which customers when they came in and said 5 would then tell you they meant 5 gallons. One had apparently done it before so when he did it to me Earl made him pull over to the side and was going to remove the extra fuel. They guy decided to fork over the rest of the money.

I only had the old “Put in 5” pulled on me once and it was by a woman who lived down the street from us. As the pump approached 5 gallons I got to thinking about the strange way she ordered her gas. I was washing the windshield by the driver side and said “ five gallons or 5 dollars?” to her. As she hesitated and with the nozzle on the opposite side of the station wagon in the back, I took a couple steps and shut the pump off with my hand instead of using the nozzle and renesting the nozzle. I saw her face fall and I was at about 4.8 gallons. She made some phony commment about expecting a full five gallons. I offered to reset the pump and put about quart in the tank (8 cents at the time). But she said no it was fine. The next day I related the experience to the owner. He said “that old b...h did that to me once too and I went over.” She thought I’d let her get by but I told her no, I was going to pull the gas back out of the tank and she paid me. The attempt to do this by other customers came up several times a year. But after one time, I always asked before I flipped the pump on. My neighbor did not come in very often and I always waited on her. I’d ask her 5 dollars worth or JUST 5 gallons? and smile. Takes all kinds to make the World go round.
Iowa “fill her up with Ethyl” Dave
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Just remember after you learn how to do it not to in New Jersey.
In New Jersey, a violation of the self-pumping law will elicit a fine between $50 and $250 for first offense, and up to $500 for subsequent offenses.
First off, the fine is for the gas station operator for not stopping the person for doing it, not the actual customer. Second, it is very, very rarely enforced as you would need to literally be doing it when some state inspector of some sort happened to be at the station. I read that 2 violations were issued in 2013 and none in 2014 or 2015.... Another basically useless law...

...and those of us that had old jeeps with the spring-loaded license plate holder that doesn’t let the operator easily set the auto fill mechanism ended up pumping ourselves because the attendants would walk away either unknowingly or due to frustration. Plus when I’m on the water the dockhand typically just hands you the nozzle and doesn’t jump onto your boat.

Don’t worry most of us know how to pump gas just like everyone else because we travel into nearby states and have to pump ourselves anyway!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I believe there has been exceptions for awhile. When I was in Eastern Oregon last summer, there were signs at some stations explaining the rules for pumping your own. Basically it allows pumps to be open 24 hours per day without a night time attendant in the "sticks".
I was also in eastern Oregon last summer. At a visitors center in Umatilla I mentioned the law about pumping gas. The woman running the place was firmly in favor of the law, but she also said that at night you could pump the gas yourself, so they've been allowing this for a while in some areas.

At least a state other than Florida was in the news today.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I was also in eastern Oregon last summer. At a visitors center in Umatilla I mentioned the law about pumping gas. The woman running the place was firmly in favor of the law, but she also said that at night you could pump the gas yourself, so they've been allowing this for a while in some areas.

At least a state other than Florida was in the news today.
I too was sorry to read about Florida's Sunrise Bakery . Hope it works out for the employees and the community.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
We filled up in Culver, OR last summer while bringing the trailer home, it was around 7pm and we were surprised to be able to do the fueling ourselves. One of the locals who were also there said that's why he came to the station late at night...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Oh please, we're far from ignorant And it's not like most Oregonians never leave the state, so we know how to pump fuel.
Well you have to admit that the statements quoted don't really reflect the reality of pumping gas.

I'm not against any law the requires service stations to provide attendants to pump gas but I don't agree that an owner should be prohibited from pumping their own gas. Personally, one thing that irks me is an attendant that, after the auto shutoff, keeps pulling the nozzle out further trying to get every last drop in or make the meter round up to a nice even number.

But, hey, it's your state and as long as Oregonians keep it on the books it's just one of those differences you see when you're travelling.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #30

"one thing that irks me is an attendant that, after the auto shutoff, keeps pulling the nozzle out further trying to get every last drop in or make the meter round up to a nice even number".

Especially knowing that that fuel is draining out the overflow.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
I think a responsible compromise would be a self-service lane and a "we'll do it for you" lane. Kinda like the old Full Service/Mini Service lanes we used to have. I'm certainly not opposed to change and being adaptable is good. I know most of my friends here are the same way. But you can bet, when it's cold, wet and windy... that lane where an employee pumps the fuel will have a backup!
I'm with you Donna, but as soon as they did that you would likely fine more people doing self-serve and the gas stations owners would lobby to get rid of full-service to cut costs.

I myself prefer to pump my own gas especially if I'm in my 69 Karmann Ghia or Volksrod. I'm the only one who can that touch my babies!

Yeah I know anyting to show off my cars!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
69 KG SM DSC_0041.jpg   Volksrod SM DSC_1144.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Only people who don't live in Oregon or have never lived in Oregon would know how protective we are about this issue. It's not anything new, it's been the law for 67 years. What the change has done, is allowed counties in eastern Oregon, with few residents, to have the law applied differently. For those areas, it makes sense.

This morning, at 6:30am, I pulled up to the pump to fuel up. Got 32 gallons. Never left the comfort of my warm truck. It was 28 degrees and the wind was blowing from the east at 18mph. Don't know what the wind chill factor was! But the guy helping me, was dressed for the weather (I was not). He has a job and did it with a smile. I think in Oregon it's a win-win where we don't pump our own fuel.
Some are older and wiser and sensible and some will just never be. Wish we had full service for the same price.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I think a responsible compromise would be a self-service lane and a "we'll do it for you" lane. Kinda like the old Full Service/Mini Service lanes we used to have. I'm certainly not opposed to change and being adaptable is good. I know most of my friends here are the same way. But you can bet, when it's cold, wet and windy... that lane where an employee pumps the fuel will have a backup!
Such a thing apparently does not happen any more. That is why the rest of us have only self-service everywhere. The big companies come in with all self-service. Rarely do I see full service and it is usually some very small station with maybe two pumps.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #34

Taken to the other extreme-- when I was in Palouse, Washington I saw a couple of gas pumps sitting alone, with no building, staff, or anything. They were owned by a local fuel service company, so I assumed one would need a contract with the company in order to use them. But later I read that anyone with a credit card could use the pumps. I didn't try it.

While on an an earlier trip I saw a similar setup in McArthur, California. Pumps, no building, no people. It made me think it was a Western thing. Can anyone enlighten me about these unattended fueling stations?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #35

Those are likely "Commercial Cardlock" locations. Just Google that and the location.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:49 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Last summer I came across a gas station in Oregon where you had to pump your own gasoline. It only has two pumps, but it is in a fairly busy area. I think many Escape owners have been to this place. Can anyone guess where it is?

Here is a clue (highlight to the following to see it): It is on federal property.

Here is the location on a Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/wVH7dtKFhnG2
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Personally, one thing that irks me is an attendant that, after the auto shutoff, keeps pulling the nozzle out further trying to get every last drop in or make the meter round up to a nice even number.
I can't even remember the last time I experienced this or saw it happen to someone else, but readily admit I have a narrow point of view. I usually purchase fuel at the same service station, close to my house and have for 20+ years. Most people either pay with a card or cash... and say $20 or $30 dollars worth, rather than fill-it-up. And with a fill the card doesn't care. If it's an odd amount of money, ($29.41), rounding just helps the attendant from handing back a bunch of pennies. Alright Canadian's... let us have it about THIS.

Part of the big trip I'll be making this summer is seeing the wonderment and differences in people, experiences and laws. Wonder if I can fuel-up in New Jersey and make it back to Oregon??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I experienced this or saw it happen to someone else, but readily admit I have a narrow point of view. I usually purchase fuel at the same service station, close to my house and have for 20+ years. Most people either pay with a card or cash... and say $20 or $30 dollars worth, rather than fill-it-up. And with a fill the card doesn't care. If it's an odd amount of money, ($29.41), rounding just helps the attendant from handing back a bunch of pennies. Alright Canadian's... let us have it about THIS.

Part of the big trip I'll be making this summer is seeing the wonderment and differences in people, experiences and laws. Wonder if I can fuel-up in New Jersey and make it back to Oregon??
Not sure if you are referring to Canadians no longer having pennies, but rounding up to avoid handing back pennies would be further complicated by any existing exchange rate. It would be unlikely that a gas pump attendant would know when to stop the pump to get a nice round figure if the customer were to be paying with Canadian currency. And I think we can be sure that with the favorable exchange rate currently on the south side of the border, the gas retailers will want any calculations accurate so that they get every last penny.

And jokingly Donna, don’t think you are going to make it from NJ to OR on a tankful.......unless you are towing it with a 757!

Unfortunately, if an Oregon resident ventures outside of their home State, they are just going to have to get out of the vehicle and pump their own fuel like they do in 95.8% of the rest of the country (and all of Canada). I do know in Florida at many stations there are signs that state if you have a physical impairment they will pump your fuel for you. That may be required by the ADA; perhaps someone else familiar with the ADA can clarify
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #39

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not sure if you are referring to Canadians no longer having pennies, but rounding up to avoid handing back pennies would be further complicated by any existing exchange rate. It would be unlikely that a gas pump attendant would know when to stop the pump to get a nice round figure if the customer were to be paying with Canadian currency. And I think we can be sure that with the favorable exchange rate currently on the south side of the border, the gas retailers will want any calculations accurate so that they get every last penny.

And jokingly Donna, don’t think you are going to make it from NJ to OR on a tankful.......unless you are towing it with a 757!

Unfortunately, if an Oregon resident ventures outside of their home State, they are just going to have to get out of the vehicle and pump their own fuel like they do in 95.8% of the rest of the country (and all of Canada). I do know in Florida at many stations there are signs that state if you have a physical impairment they will pump your fuel for you. That may be required by the ADA; perhaps someone else familiar with the ADA can clarify
They will pump the fuel for you if there is more than 1 attendant and yes it is required by the ADA. I've pumped fuel for older folks before. Heck I'll be one soon enough.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I do know in Florida at many stations there are signs that state if you have a physical impairment they will pump your fuel for you. That may be required by the ADA; perhaps someone else familiar with the ADA can clarify
I've seen this as well and assumed it was an ADA requirement, but I don't know for sure. That's one reason I found the unattended pumps in Palouse interesting-- there's no one there to pump the gas if needed.