Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But Wisconsin (along with most other states) was offered a choice. They voted with their feet and moved over to the self service pumps, like they did everywhere else. So, stations abandoned full service for the most part because there was no market. If the market was there, you'd have more full service stations. Creating a market and keeping it in business under penalty of law is - how do I put this kindly - unnecessary.
Yup.... in the free market.... people choose to save cents a gallon by pumping themselves and the full service went away.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the meantime, come and visit in one of the most beautiful states in the country. You can keep your hands clean while you're here
YES we will!!!!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
...I do know in Florida at many stations there are signs that state if you have a physical impairment they will pump your fuel for you. That may be required by the ADA; perhaps someone else familiar with the ADA can clarify
Fueling up a car/truck is really a pretty simple task. It does not give me a lot of confidence regarding someone's driving abilities if they have a physical impairment that would not allow them to refuel their tank, but are still out their driving on the roads. Maybe the trend towards driverless cars is a good thing.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I experienced this or saw it happen to someone else, but readily admit I have a narrow point of view. I usually purchase fuel at the same service station, close to my house and have for 20+ years. Most people either pay with a card or cash... and say $20 or $30 dollars worth, rather than fill-it-up. And with a fill the card doesn't care. If it's an odd amount of money, ($29.41), rounding just helps the attendant from handing back a bunch of pennies. Alright Canadian's... let us have it about THIS.

Part of the big trip I'll be making this summer is seeing the wonderment and differences in people, experiences and laws. Wonder if I can fuel-up in New Jersey and make it back to Oregon??
Donna, Why don't you start a new thread and tell us about the trip you're planning? I'd love to hear about it.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #45

Trailer: 21' Escape
Okay, someone with more economic sense than me explain how it is the same price whether you pump your own gas or have a $20.00 per hour attendant pump it.
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
When I first went to Oregon last fall, I jumped out of my truck to fill the tank. An attendant came out and said that I couldn't do it myself which surprised me. I quickly learned the law of the land and just went inside to use the washroom or buy snacks.

My preference is to pump the gas myself. That way there is no overfill or spillage and the gas cap is always on correctly. In Ontario there are stations that still offer full service but in some places it seems to be a matter of pride for the attendant to put that extra dollars worth of gas into the tank. My son worked pumping gas at one of these stations. It was a good first job for him but he told me of two instances where the wrong fuel was put into the vehicle (diesel or gasoline). It certainly caused a lot of grief for those owners.

I prefer to pump my own gas.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Donna, Why don't you start a new thread and tell us about the trip you're planning? I'd love to hear about it.
ooooh, that would be fun! I'll get something going the end of the month or first of February. Right now, there's not enough known to make it interesting. The only thing I absolutely know is I'm going to be in Winnipeg for the http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...come-8766.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #48

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
(snip)
In the meantime, come and visit in one of the most beautiful states in the country. You can keep your hands clean while you're here
I've pulled into some places with the truck and trailer and I've had to pump my own gas in Oregon. Other places it's been done for me. I think it has to do with which type of filling area you're in. When I did it myself it was in an area set aside for RVs (one was RVs and semis combined). I was kind of surprised at the RV only spot (they had a different area for semis) that I had to do it myself. Figured there was some law exempting it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
When we need gas besides the better prices in Oregon , we really appreciate someone will clean the windshield . Our truck is a bit high and we need to pull out a step to clean it ourshelves . So nice to have it done for us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Yeah I know anyting to show off my cars!

Cheers!
Yup, you're truly shameless. Like I'd let anyone fill my little car and risk fuel spilled on the rear boot cover or the interior.

Quote:

If the customer were to be paying with Canadian currency.?
With the greatest respect may I offer the observation that going to another country and using your home currency seems to be an American thing. Most Canadians don't expect to use Canadian currency south of the border except in border shopping malls.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: bmp _0021_resize.bmp (144.1 KB, 24 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #51

Opps, no photo
Attached Thumbnails
18-02-2010 12-49-43 PM_0001_resize.JPG  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
With the greatest respect may I offer the observation that going to another country and using your home currency seems to be an American thing. Most Canadians don't expect to use Canadian currency south of the border except in border shopping malls.

Ron
I think it has more to do with the strength of the currency rather than just being an American thing. I don't know anyplace in Portland where I can spend any Canadian money, including coins. It's because of the money value. But boy, when I was in Canada, everywhere I went they wanted US money... but often didn't give any exchange. Just a US dollar for a Canadian dollar product or service. Canadian's won! And that was fine. I budget based on my home currency. If I wanted the $46 sweatshirt, I wasn't going to quibble over the exchange rate. I didn't go to Canada to save money, but to have fun! And at that point who wants to worry about getting too much or too little and carry around a calculator. But boy, those Canadian coins were heavy in my pocket because I always got change back in Canadian money.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Not sure if you are referring to Canadians no longer having pennies, but rounding up to avoid handing back pennies would be further complicated by any existing exchange rate. It would be unlikely that a gas pump attendant would know when to stop the pump to get a nice round figure if the customer were to be paying with Canadian currency. And I think we can be sure that with the favorable exchange rate currently on the south side of the border, the gas retailers will want any calculations accurate so that they get every last penny.

And jokingly Donna, don’t think you are going to make it from NJ to OR on a tankful.......unless you are towing it with a 757!

Unfortunately, if an Oregon resident ventures outside of their home State, they are just going to have to get out of the vehicle and pump their own fuel like they do in 95.8% of the rest of the country (and all of Canada). I do know in Florida at many stations there are signs that state if you have a physical impairment they will pump your fuel for you. That may be required by the ADA; perhaps someone else familiar with the ADA can clarify
NY goes one step further. Most pumps have a button to push to request an attendant. Technically, they are suppose to come out & fill your tank, ADA physical impairment or not. I've never tried it, but have a friend that has difficulty getting in & out of her vehicle (no mirror or plate ADA ID). She says, depending on the station, she sometimes has to wait a long time, but eventually someone comes & pumps her gas.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #54

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorpanel View Post
Okay, someone with more economic sense than me explain how it is the same price whether you pump your own gas or have a $20.00 per hour attendant pump it.
For the same reason it's the same price cash or credit. Visa credit is 1.51% + .10 cents per transaction surcharge so you would think the cash would be cheaper at all stations. Same with everywhere else. Pay cash, the store thanks you I guess.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The gas station in our area charges "X" per gallon of fuel if you pay with CASH the price is X - 5 cents. Credit cards are not free to the merchant. Many of the businesses in our small town give a discount for cash . Possibly because some of the cash goes in the till and some goes directly in the pocket.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
As far as I've encountered "cash discounts" pass muster, but we've run into some businesses that try and add a "surcharge" if you use a ccard. That is usually a violation of the contract they sign with the providers and if you report it to V, M or AE you'll find the surcharge practice is discontinued at that business going forward.
I don't recall that when we've been in OR in the past anyone pumped our gas, maybe we just hit the wrong towns or service stations.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #57

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the strength of the currency rather than just being an American thing.
Uh-oh, I've got to respectfully disagree with you. (Again ) As a veteran hard core international traveler that's not my view. We've been in more than a dozen countries in Europe and Central America in the past 2 months. We spent Euros, specific non-EU countries currencies and good old US bucks. Not one loonie.

It's my observation that Americans are more likely to expect that their greenbacks are welcome anywhere in the world. Well they are, just don't be surprised that the answer to "how much is that in American dollars?" calculates out to more than you'd pay in local currency.

Ron
Old 01-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A couple of months ago I was filling up at a Rotten Robbie in town when three young girls in a small compact car pulled in for gas just across from me, giggling and laughing with the music loud. They first of all had a great deal of difficulty with the credit card process. Eventually conquering that, the one doing most of the work asked the others, "It's the green hose, right?" as she pushed the button and stuck the nozzle into the tank. I probably should have let them learn their lesson the hard way, but I hastily pointed out that the green hose was diesel fuel, not gasoline, and they'd be well advised to start the process all over.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #59

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
A couple of months ago I was filling up at a Rotten Robbie in town when three young girls in a small compact car pulled in for gas just across from me, giggling and laughing with the music loud. They first of all had a great deal of difficulty with the credit card process. Eventually conquering that, the one doing most of the work asked the others, "It's the green hose, right?" as she pushed the button and stuck the nozzle into the tank. I probably should have let them learn their lesson the hard way, but I hastily pointed out that the green hose was diesel fuel, not gasoline, and they'd be well advised to start the process all over.
Like This?
Attached Thumbnails
26168917_1910547822592131_5994582879556855905_n.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Diesel pump handles are yellow here. Same as diesel fuel cans.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote