Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Uh-oh, I've got to respectfully disagree with you. (Again ) As a veteran hard core international traveler that's not my view. We've been in more than a dozen countries in Europe and Central America in the past 2 months. We spent Euros, specific non-EU countries currencies and good old US bucks. Not one loonie.

It's my observation that Americans are more likely to expect that their greenbacks are welcome anywhere in the world. Well they are, just don't be surprised that the answer to "how much is that in American dollars?" calculates out to more than you'd pay in local currency.

Ron
But... you just made my point I go to Canada and buy something for $1 and pay in US currency... I just paid $1(US) for something I could have paid 75 cents (if converted at my bank into CDN). But, if a Canadian comes to the US and tries to buy a product for $1 and pays with a loonie, the merchant just lost 25 cents.

I remember when USD and CDN were par. I constantly got Canadian coins in change and was able to spend it. Not any more. Because a dollar isn't the same dollar in buying power. And of course, if I traveled elsewhere and that countries money is worth "more" I would expect to pay "more." The US dollar is the most widely used currency in the world.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
With the greatest respect may I offer the observation that going to another country and using your home currency seems to be an American thing. Most Canadians don't expect to use Canadian currency south of the border except in border shopping malls. [/COLOR]

Ron
I would not have thought you were being disrespectful for stating your point of view, Ron. I will say, however, that saying “most Canadians” may be inaccurate. When I was 16, my first job was at Howdy Beefburgers, Dunkin’ Donuts now defunct attempt at competing with a new upstart, namely McDonald’s. Our menu was identical to Mickey’s. We frequently had Canadian customers paying with Canadian currency. In those days, the exchange rate was pretty stable at 5%. When getting change in any store, it wasn’t uncommon to receive Canadian coins and they were, for the most part, accepted at face value. 50 plus years later I am now living in Florida and I see lots of Canadian residents who are wintering in Florida, and I still get Canadian coins with change, though not as frequently as I did when living in a State that shared a border with Canada. Perhaps proximity to Canada had something to do with it. When I go to Canada, I typically get Canadian currency from my bank, but I usually use an international credit card to avoid any exchange rate confusion. The bank makes all the adjustments based on the exchange rate in effect at the time of the transaction. In recent years, when I have “had” to pay for something in Canada using US currency, the merchants are more than happy to accept it and I never ask for the exchange rate difference. And one final point. It is my opinion that the US and Canadian economies are closely connected and the two countries should be on the same currency, like all the countries in the EU use the Euro. I feel bad for the Canadians who want to spend the winter in Florida rather than the snow take a beating from the exchange rate. Some are unable to come because they can no longer afford the disparity. I mean, we are all in this (North America) together!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
"I mean, we are all in this (North America) together!"
Carl,
I agree with you, but just clarifying North America is not just US and CA, but per Britannica and other sources
"Canada, the United States, and Mexico make up the largest part of the continent of North America. The countries of Central America also are part of the continent, and several islands, including the West Indies and Greenland, are associated with North America."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
It's my observation that Americans are more likely to expect that their greenbacks are welcome anywhere in the world.
Ron
I think this is a habit held over from the post-WWII American economic domination of the world economy. It is already an anachronism as the world has grown richer and (some) other currencies are strong and backed by stable economies.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #65

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Yup, you're truly shameless. Like I'd let anyone fill my little car and risk fuel spilled on the rear boot cover or the interior.Ron
Exactly!

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
"I mean, we are all in this (North America) together!"
Carl,
I agree with you, but just clarifying North America is not just US and CA, but per Britannica and other sources
"Canada, the United States, and Mexico make up the largest part of the continent of North America. The countries of Central America also are part of the continent, and several islands, including the West Indies and Greenland, are associated with North America."
Yes. I was avoiding mentioning Mexico because of the recently closed thread. Apparently things got rather heated and I didn’t want to reopen that can of worms.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #67

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
But... you just made my point I go to Canada and buy something for $1 and pay in US currency... I just paid $1(US) for something I could have paid 75 cents (if converted at my bank into CDN). But, if a Canadian comes to the US and tries to buy a product for $1 and pays with a loonie, the merchant just lost 25 cents.

I remember when USD and CDN were par. I constantly got Canadian coins in change and was able to spend it. Not any more. Because a dollar isn't the same dollar in buying power. And of course, if I traveled elsewhere and that countries money is worth "more" I would expect to pay "more." The US dollar is the most widely used currency in the world.
The first time we went up into Canada they still offered to refund the GST for U.S. citizens when you were were about to cross back. I remember we were inside as we had purchased a nice necklace for Karen of Ammolite set in gold and there was this couple who apparently had made a large amount of very small purchases. Some as low as pocket change. When it became obvious they were going to be awhile we decided to visit the head and leave.
We did'nt stop after we headed back from Chilliwack but I heard later on they do not do that anymore.
We bought the ammolite before the cruise ships cheapened it with overpriced dull pieces. Karen's looks like a brilliant opal and was a good souvenir that will make my daughter quite happy when she inherits it
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Back when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US, we were staying at a hotel in California. I had run out of US dollars so I offered the bellhop a Canadian bill, well you should have seen the look on his face. You would have thought I was giving him Monopoly money, I half expected him to give it back to me.
Learned my lesson, always deal in the currency of the country you are visiting.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
like all the countries in the EU use the Euro.
Actually, surprisingly, they don't. The UK never has used the Euro and of as recently as 3 weeks ago, neither Hungary or the Czech Republic does either. They're still using their old currency. Oh, the merchants will take Euros but dare I say it, the exchange rate isn't very favorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I think this is a habit held over from the post-WWII American economic domination of the world economy. It is already an anachronism as the world has grown richer and (some) other currencies are strong and backed by stable economies.
Yes, the Euro and Pound Sterling come to mind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
People in quite a few foreign countries are glad to take American dollars. Invariably, it is countries which are not as well off. It is not a matter of Americans wanting to use their dollars so much as the locals wanting to have them. Those in well-off countires are not looking for American dollars nearly as much. People in poor countries are especially glad to get American dollars.

As far as vs. Canada, the U.S. population is much greater and, therefore, there are far more American travelers. The Canadian dollar is not as likely to be given consideration simply due to far fewer travelers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Leaving the Dominican Republic, there was a fellow at the airport offering $20 in loons and toons for $5 US. It was tips, but had no value to him because the banks wouldn't exchange coins for DR pesos.
It only had value to a Canadian, returning to Canada.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #72

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Every year when we go fishing in Canada I buy about $20 USD worth of Loonies as gifts for my grandkids . They love to play with them and have yet to realize they are real money.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #73

I did the same thing last year-- I bought several toonies (twonies? -- I dunno) for young cousins, after hearing that kids like the $2 coin because of the different metals in it.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I left the ETI rally in 2015, I had a small baggy of Canadian bills and coins. I stopped at the convenience store/fuel station just as you exit the Nk'Mip campground. Went inside and told the clerk, I need "this much" fuel. She laughed and said "American?" I said yes. We both laughed. She did her magic on the computer, I fueled up with what I had to get across the border and came home with next to no Canadian money. Made a memory!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I left the ETI rally in 2015, I had a small baggy of Canadian bills and coins. I stopped at the convenience store/fuel station just as you exit the Nk'Mip campground. Went inside and told the clerk, I need "this much" fuel. She laughed and said "American?" I said yes. We both laughed. She did her magic on the computer, I fueled up with what I had to get across the border and came home with next to no Canadian money. Made a memory!
I did the same thing, after the same rally, at the same place. But I bought food with my coins instead of gas.

Now I just keep my Canadian money for the next trip, except for the toonies that I give away to kids.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Kids would probably like Canadian delicacies, Cheezies and Ketchup potato chips even more.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #77

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Kids would probably like Canadian delicacies, Cheezies and Ketchup potato chips even more.
Herr's sells ketchup chips too as well as crabchips which are good!
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #78

Quote:
I'll try that next time, but I'll need to buy stuff that won't get stale for several months before I get home.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #79

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I know one thing for sure , Canada has some of the best tasting Walleyes and beer in the world and their fruit jams & maple syrup are also pretty good . My personnal favorite is campfire coffee made with pure Canadian lake water.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #80

Quote:
Kids would probably like Canadian delicacies
except, of course (drumroll)..........poutine.