Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #141

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Let me get this straight , Oregon should feel obligated to change their gas pump laws because some yahoo from a state 1500 miles away is unhappy and he or she feels the law violates their freedom to pump. Maybe the Federal Government should pass a uniform vehicle fueling law and end this form of discrimination
In my book the people of Oregon are free to govern themselves
If I was strongly opposed to Oregon's fueling laws then I would stay out of Oregon.
While I'm sure that there are folks that feel this way, I believe the problem is there are many parts of eastern Oregon that are extremely rural, i.e. many miles between gas stations, many of which are only open during normal business hours. The exceptions that allow pumping your own are designed to filling your tank in the middle of nowhere. Waiting through the weekend until Monday morning to get gas might not be practical...
Old 01-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #142

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I'm sure that there are folks that feel this way, I believe the problem is there are many parts of eastern Oregon that are extremely rural, i.e. many miles between gas stations, many of which are only open during normal business hours. The exceptions that allow pumping your own are designed to filling your tank in the middle of nowhere. Waiting through the weekend until Monday morning to get gas might not be practical...
I lied. I am going to say a bit more on this thread.

Though I live in Idaho I travel Eastern Oregon often. There are a few cases of stations closing down for the night but if you plan ahead it isn't hard to avoid, at least in the part I travel.

Once when traveling across Idaho at night though, I had go the long way round via the freeway because of the 150 mile range of my big block pickup and the night closing of the only two stations on my preferred route.

Those stations were self serve but when they closed everything was turned off. It could happen in a lot of places I suppose but with prohibited self serve it seems like it could be a bigger problem.

Lets talk about hair cuts. I know a few people who cut their own hair. I don't know how they do it but they say they do so I believe them. When I was a child my mother cut my hair. It didn't matter what I wanted. She cut it to suit herself.

When I got old enough and had some money I went to a barber. I soon learned that a barber also cuts hair to suit himself, just not so blatantly. I suppose he thinks he knows what I really want, even though it isn't what I tell him. I have been to many barbers over the years and have tried to train them to my desires but it never goes quite like I want.

For many years now my wife has cut my hair. I have the best wife and she really tries to get it right. After so much practice she can now cut my hair to my satisfaction every time. It isn't exactly self serve but it is the next best thing.

Now back to fuel. I have had pump jockeys do all sorts of things to my car. It is a Mercedes diesel and it runs so quiet it sounds like a gas engine. Many times I have had to intercept attendants as they were about to fill it up with gasoline. They leave the gas cap off or not on straight so I get a CEL 50 miles down the road. They scratch the fender and drizzle fuel down the side. They have overfilled and under filled the tank. In short, I like to have things my way and a gas station attendant often gets this simple thing wrong.

Some people have lots of money and rather than do things for themselves they prefer to pay to have someone else do it. Butlers, maids, chauffeurs, personal assistants, personal trainers, hair dressers, cooks and a host of others owe their livelihood to those who would rather pay to have someone else do what they could do for themselves. I believe if I was really rich I might like to have a butler and would probably eat out more often but I don't know what I would do with the butler because I just can't trust others to do things right.

However, in the spirit of prohibited self service, I propose that Oregon outlaw self driving, self cleaning, working out without professional guidance, cooking one's own food, etc. You can mow someone else's lawn but not your own because that would eliminate employment opportunities for others and be unsafe for the typical Oregonian. I see no difference between fertilizing your own lawn and fueling your own car.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #143
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Testing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #144

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
i lied. I am going to say a bit more on this thread.

Though i live in idaho i travel eastern oregon often. There are a few cases of stations closing down for the night but if you plan ahead it isn't hard to avoid, at least in the part i travel.

Once when traveling across idaho at night though, i had go the long way round via the freeway because of the 150 mile range of my big block pickup and the night closing of the only two stations on my preferred route.

Those stations were self serve but when they closed everything was turned off. It could happen in a lot of places i suppose but with prohibited self serve it seems like it could be a bigger problem.

Lets talk about hair cuts. I know a few people who cut their own hair. I don't know how they do it but they say they do so i believe them. When i was a child my mother cut my hair. It didn't matter what i wanted. She cut it to suit herself.

When i got old enough and had some money i went to a barber. I soon learned that a barber also cuts hair to suit himself, just not so blatantly. I suppose he thinks he knows what i really want, even though it isn't what i tell him. I have been to many barbers over the years and have tried to train them to my desires but it never goes quite like i want.

For many years now my wife has cut my hair. I have the best wife and she really tries to get it right. After so much practice she can now cut my hair to my satisfaction every time. It isn't exactly self serve but it is the next best thing.

Now back to fuel. I have had pump jockeys do all sorts of things to my car. It is a mercedes diesel and it runs so quiet it sounds like a gas engine. Many times i have had to intercept attendants as they were about to fill it up with gasoline. They leave the gas cap off or not on straight so i get a cel 50 miles down the road. They scratch the fender and drizzle fuel down the side. They have overfilled and under filled the tank. In short, i like to have things my way and a gas station attendant often gets this simple thing wrong.

Some people have lots of money and rather than do things for themselves they prefer to pay to have someone else do it. Butlers, maids, chauffeurs, personal assistants, personal trainers, hair dressers, cooks and a host of others owe their livelihood to those who would rather pay to have someone else do what they could do for themselves. I believe if i was really rich i might like to have a butler and would probably eat out more often but i don't know what i would do with the butler because i just can't trust others to do things right.

However, in the spirit of prohibited self service, i propose that oregon outlaw self driving, self cleaning, working out without professional guidance, cooking one's own food, etc. You can mow someone else's lawn but not your own because that would eliminate employment opportunities for others and be unsafe for the typical oregonian. I see no difference between fertilizing your own lawn and fueling your own car.
Very Eristic !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 AM   #145

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Very Eristic !!
Thanks but aren't you being supercilious?
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #146

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I fail to see the point in all of the back and forth here. If some Oregonians, and it is not a universal attitude among Oregonians, do not wish to pump their own fuel then so be it. I cannot criticize anyone who wants to sit in their vehicle and allow someone else to do it. I do, however, have a problem with that same person if he or she would deprive someone else of the option to do so for some of the reasons that have been stated (wrong fuel, scratching of one’s vehicle, and failure to tighten the gas cap properly). One of the reasons Oregonians state is that fueling is “complicated” and should be done by a trained/qualified person. That is about as big a crock as I have read on this entire thread. It seems that residents in 46 of the “lower 48” as well as Oregonians who venture beyond their own borders manage to pump their own fuel. And I question how well “trained” a gas jockey is who cannot even replace a gas cap properly, a task a monkey could be trained to properly accomplish. Certain activities associated with motor vehicles should not and cannot be optional for the safety of everyone, e.g., speed limits, stopping at red lights, parking in front of fire hydrants, etc. However, pumping one’s own fuel does not fall into that category and attempts to justify it as necessary for safety concerns are questionable.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #147

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... OMG I DIY... YMMV!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #148

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Speaking of Oregon, anyone have camping recommendations near Albany? I have some business to take care of up there next week.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #149

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... OMG I DIY... YMMV!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Careful Alf that could lead to checking your own oil [emoji6]
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #150

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Speaking of Oregon, anyone have camping recommendations near Albany? I have some business to take care of up there next week.
A couple of years ago, Donna D. organized a wonder Northern Oregon Gathering in Waterloo, about miles 22 miles S/E of Albany. We stayed at Waterloo Park Camp Ground Linn, 39510 Gross Street. It is a very nice county park, well landscaped, with trails and wooded areas. Full hook-ups and clean showers/bathrooms.
When in the area, we would definitely go back.

https://linnparks.com/parks/waterloo/

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #151

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thanks, that sounds perfect!