Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Trailer: None now
Some Oregonians are now allowed to pump their own fuel

If there are less than 40,000 residents in your county you can now pump your own fuel.
And some are freaking out.
Per the USA today.

♦ "Not a good idea, there are lots of reason to have an attendant helping, one is they need a job too. Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea."

♦ "I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!"

♦ "I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even"

Just remember after you learn how to do it not to in New Jersey.
In New Jersey, a violation of the self-pumping law will elicit a fine between $50 and $250 for first offense, and up to $500 for subsequent offenses.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Only people who don't live in Oregon or have never lived in Oregon would know how protective we are about this issue. It's not anything new, it's been the law for 67 years. What the change has done, is allowed counties in eastern Oregon, with few residents, to have the law applied differently. For those areas, it makes sense.

This morning, at 6:30am, I pulled up to the pump to fuel up. Got 32 gallons. Never left the comfort of my warm truck. It was 28 degrees and the wind was blowing from the east at 18mph. Don't know what the wind chill factor was! But the guy helping me, was dressed for the weather (I was not). He has a job and did it with a smile. I think in Oregon it's a win-win where we don't pump our own fuel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If there are less then 40,000 residents in your county you can now pump your own fuel.
And some are freaking out.
Per the USA today.

♦ "Not a good idea, there are lots of reason to have an attendant helping, one is they need a job too. Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea."

♦ "I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!"

♦ "I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even"

Just remember after you learn how to do it not to in New Jersey.
In New Jersey, a violation of the self-pumping law will elicit a fine between $50 and $250 for first offense, and up to $500 for subsequent offenses.
I believe there has been exceptions for awhile. When I was in Eastern Oregon last summer, there were signs at some stations explaining the rules for pumping your own. Basically it allows pumps to be open 24 hours per day without a night time attendant in the "sticks".
Old 01-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
S m h.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/institu.../#42fd4672600e
Old 01-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Too funny but somehow pathetic. I'm in Oregon fairly frequently and I've often forgotten and automatically hopped out. At some point I realize, Oh no, I'm in Oregon. Seems like the new law will only confuse some folks, especially out of towners, unless the pumps are clearly posted.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I travel between Washington and Oregon quite a bit. Having gas pumped for you is fine until the attendant forgets to tighten the gas cap. Then my check engine light goes off as does my cruise control. Just be sure to check the gas cap before taking off.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Many years ( decades?) ago I worked at a gas station. Back then we were full service, pump gas, wash the windows, offer to check the oil and if they asked check the air in the tires. They used to have a contest to get us to sell oil.
In some of the cans would be a little plastic token. Maybe you won a quarter, maybe 1 dollar maybe $50. I should feel bad but if they were even slightly under full we were trying to sell a can of oil.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Only people who don't live in Oregon or have never lived in Oregon would know how protective we are about this issue. It's not anything new, it's been the law for 67 years. What the change has done, is allowed counties in eastern Oregon, with few residents, to have the law applied differently. For those areas, it makes sense.

This morning, at 6:30am, I pulled up to the pump to fuel up. Got 32 gallons. Never left the comfort of my warm truck. It was 28 degrees and the wind was blowing from the east at 18mph. Don't know what the wind chill factor was! But the guy helping me, was dressed for the weather (I was not). He has a job and did it with a smile. I think in Oregon it's a win-win where we don't pump our own fuel.
Thanks Donna ; The only reason I pump my own gas is because I am forced to , I am not offered a choice. It would be nice on a cold, windy morning to be able to crank down my window just a little and just say " Filler Up"
Oregon is a win win proposition in my book !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The only reason I pump my own gas is because I am forced to , I am not offered a choice.
But Wisconsin (along with most other states) was offered a choice. They voted with their feet and moved over to the self service pumps, like they did everywhere else. So, stations abandoned full service for the most part because there was no market. If the market was there, you'd have more full service stations. Creating a market and keeping it in business under penalty of law is - how do I put this kindly - unnecessary.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I travel between Washington and Oregon quite a bit. Having gas pumped for you is fine until the attendant forgets to tighten the gas cap. Then my check engine light goes off as does my cruise control. Just be sure to check the gas cap before taking off.
Many new vehicles, like my truck, do not have a gas cap so this won't be a problem.

We have lots of stations here that offer full service, or at least full service in some bays, and I always pull into them. The price is the same, the attendants are usually friendly, they wash my window, and allow me to do something else in my truck which can be real nice when it is storming outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have lots of stations here that offer full service, or at least full service in some bays, and I always pull into them.
Proof that there is a market for full service stations if the price is basically the same. They were doomed here in the lower 48 for the most part because of the price difference.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But Wisconsin (along with most other states) was offered a choice. They voted with their feet and moved over to the self service pumps, like they did everywhere else. So, stations abandoned full service for the most part because there was no market. If the market was there, you'd have more full service stations. Creating a market and keeping it in business under penalty of law is - how do I put this kindly - unnecessary.
A few years back the service station by our home had both a full service and a self service island.
The service station got bought out by a large chain.
Shortly there after the full service island disappeared .
My point was , At one time I had a choice , now I don't . If it is your desire to make this a philosophical political argument then I will not be participating.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We lived in Oregon most of our married lives up until about three years ago. Many years ago, as a younger woman, I was driving cross country. I needed gas once I crossed over the Idaho border. I stopped at a station and pondered the mystery of how to pump and pay for the gas. Eventually I went into the little store and asked how to go through the process. What tickled me was that an older biker followed me in and said he had the same problem....
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
My point was , At one time I had a choice , now I don't .
And an excellent point it was. Many markets and services that used to be everywhere are slowly going away.
Quote:
If it is your desire to make this a philosophical political argument then I will not be participating.
My post wasn't really political. It was economic. Then again, I guess anything can be political if you read it that way.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I was born and raised in Oregon. My first job was pumping gas at an old timey gas station where the boss insisted that every windshield got washed every time.

These days I can’t stand getting gas in Oregon and will do so only if I can’t make it out of the state before running dry. Far too many times have I pulled away and discovered that the “professional” attendant failed to fill my tank properly.

Also, I find it absurd that some of the people who are allowed to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway are incapable of putting gas into their vehicle. That skill should be a prerequisite to being allowed to drive.

Oh, I understand Oregon’s long history of resistance to self service, and how the issue continues to come up every few years. But the arguments all boil down to ignorance.

Just saying. Obviously a hot topic for me. Thanks for letting me vent. I’ll stop now. Peace.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Oh, I understand Oregon’s long history of resistance to self service, and how the issue continues to come up every few years.
It's an issue that won't go away either. People know instinctively, if the truth be told, that such things don't make alot of sense. I've no doubt that someday, that law will be a distant memory. In the meantime, it's interesting to watch the debate.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #17

Then there was Harold super service.
We sang a variation of it as our managers name was Earl.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

Oh, I understand Oregon’s long history of resistance to self service, and how the issue continues to come up every few years. But the arguments all boil down to ignorance.

Just saying. Obviously a hot topic for me. Thanks for letting me vent. I’ll stop now. Peace.
Oh please, we're far from ignorant And it's not like most Oregonians never leave the state, so we know how to pump fuel. We just choose not to and don't have to and our fuel isn't more expensive because of it either.

I still think it's funny that people who don't live hear have bigger issue over what we choose to do as citizens in our state. We can change it, we know how laws get changed. IF/WHEN the time comes to change it, we will.

In the meantime, come and visit in one of the most beautiful states in the country. You can keep your hands clean while you're here
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh please, we're far from ignorant [emoji23] And it's not like most Oregonians never leave the state, so we know how to pump fuel. We just choose not to and don't have to and our fuel isn't more expensive because of it either.

I still think it's funny that people who don't live hear have bigger issue over what we choose to do as citizens in our state. We can change it, we know how laws get changed. IF/WHEN the time comes to change it, we will.

In the meantime, come and visit in one of the most beautiful states in the country. You can keep your hands clean while you're here
As always an excellent post. As I said, I've no dog in the hunt - but it is interesting to watch the debate among Oregonians.

While many out of staters do get worked up about it, much of that stems from the "you gotta be kidding" factor. It's a hard thing to fathom for folks who've been pumping gas their whole lives without incident.

And, yours is definitely one of the most beautiful states I've ever visited. No debate there.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #20
Site Team

I think a responsible compromise would be a self-service lane and a "we'll do it for you" lane. Kinda like the old Full Service/Mini Service lanes we used to have. I'm certainly not opposed to change and being adaptable is good. I know most of my friends here are the same way. But you can bet, when it's cold, wet and windy... that lane where an employee pumps the fuel will have a backup!