Southern breakfast.....hmmm,hmmm, good - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,692
Southern breakfast.....hmmm,hmmm, good

Ingredients

6 thick bacon slices
2 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sliced green onions
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; drain and crumble. Transfer 2 tsp. bacon drippings to a saucepan.

2. Bring drippings, milk, and butter to a boil over medium heat. Gradually whisk in grits, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; cook, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until very thick. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 egg; spread in a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set and browned. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese over warm grits, spreading to edges. Let stand 15 minutes.

4. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Combine half-and-half, cream, onions, and remaining 5 eggs, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour over grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.

5. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned and just set. Let stand 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edges of quiche; remove sides of pan.
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,297
What happened in the south stayed in the south!!!

Hi: All... Here's a breakfast dish I did at Townsend Tenn. rally. We were surprised with a pot luck breakfast due to Sat. nites weather so it was an off the cuff what's in the fridge dish. Brought home an empty pot so it must have been good.

In a Dutch oven fry up some 1" cuts of bacon.
Add some chopped Spanish onion fried to soften.
Mean time grille some Johnsonville Brats till marked and warmed thru. Cut in 1" pieces diagonally.
Add a jar of Sauerkraut w/ carrots and heat together.
Enjoy Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,692
Dangnabit, that does sound good, Alf........
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,061
you guys are kill'n me......I'm sitting here with my hard-boiled egg and steel-cut oats and I'm still hungry! You're kill'n me!
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,692
More food for thought,Steve, Spam and scrapple.....at Alf's Niagara Wine fest...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2210.jpg (269.8 KB, 13 views)
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,385
Jim, that's the same recipe my cardiologist gave me. He said eat this every day and you'll be dead in 6 months. I'm planning on a little Jaternice for the Niagara Rally and will bring you some peppers if my bro has a good crop again this year. One of my high points for the appreciation Rally was a $62 pit stop for cheese at Tillamook and a double dip Ice Cream.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
you guys are kill'n me......I'm sitting here with my hard-boiled egg and steel-cut oats and I'm still hungry! You're kill'n me!
Yup, hard to read that stuff when you've just chowed down on a 1/2 grapefruit and a bowl of porridge.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ingredients

6 thick bacon slices
2 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sliced green onions
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon; drain and crumble. Transfer 2 tsp. bacon drippings to a saucepan.

2. Bring drippings, milk, and butter to a boil over medium heat. Gradually whisk in grits, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; cook, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until very thick. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in 1 egg; spread in a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until set and browned. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese over warm grits, spreading to edges. Let stand 15 minutes.

4. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Combine half-and-half, cream, onions, and remaining 5 eggs, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour over grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.

5. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned and just set. Let stand 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edges of quiche; remove sides of pan.
Tasty! I can feel my arteries clogging up just thinking about it!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Sounds good... but with two hours of cooking time before breakfast, someone is getting up early!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Jim, that's the same recipe my cardiologist gave me. He said eat this every day and you'll be dead in 6 months. I'm planning on a little Jaternice for the Niagara Rally and will bring you some peppers if my bro has a good crop again this year. One of my high points for the appreciation Rally was a $62 pit stop for cheese at Tillamook and a double dip Ice Cream.
Dave
If you bring peppers Dave make sure we eat them all, don't try crossing back into the US with them Remember Alf and his story of half a green onion which put him on the "bad" list with US customs What the heck is Jaternice anyway?

Adrian
__________________

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.