Surprising Find - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m sorry I should have added that Don Is a railroad buff and it’s my job to help him build the dream railroad nostalgia trip on his bucket list. ( Midwest segment) .
The Rock Island line is a might fine line.
Iowa Dave

And your help is much appreciated, Dave; thanks.

Ahhh-the daily photo-fix!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dialects are very interesting and the subject of many jokes. Balamorese has their own dictionary to help others understand what we are saying Hey HON! The Bawlamerese Lexicon
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I got a newsflash for you; seems like half of America says "ruff" for roof and "crick" for creek.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... What happens if you wake up with a "Crick" in your neck? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #24

If the creek is on your neck you are in over your head!!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
I’m sorry I should have added that Don Is a railroad buff and it’s my job to help him build the dream railroad nostalgia trip on his bucket list. ( Midwest segment) .
The Rock Island line is a might fine line.
Iowa Dave
What's to be sorry about? No biggie. Maybe my joke was too deep, though... a sidetrack... the train is sitting on a piece of track, on a siding...
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #26

Trailer: none
For all you railroad buffs, this is a must if you are ever near Tehachapi, Calif. And it's free!

https://www.tehachapidepot.com/

Oh, and that's not to mention the Tehachapi Loop!

Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Side tracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
What's to be sorry about? No biggie. Maybe my joke was too deep, though... a sidetrack... the train is sitting on a piece of track, on a siding...
I’ve spent most of my life sidetracked. Now they call it attention deficit. I don’t know much about Railroading that is of any value but I can tell you I squandered hard earned coins along with any other malleable metal on the Northwesten Main line about two miles south of where I grew up. I used to order trees from Portland when I was the municipal arborist in Council Bluffs Iowa. We would take a truck down into the yard to get them. The yardmaster would give us the car number and the rIp track number and we would go get them. Anymore I feel I’m on the siding most of the time, The young people won’t let me on the main line.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
For all you railroad buffs, this is a must if you are ever near Tehachapi, Calif. And it's free!
https://www.tehachapidepot.com/
Oh, and that's not to mention the Tehachapi Loop!

Absolutely Yes. (In fact, we and our Escape 17A will be there this week. ).

If you ever wondered how Los Angeles went from a sleepy coastal group of hamlets to what it now is, Southern Pacific RR, and the route through the Tehachapi Mts., looms large in the historical account.
In fact, for many areas of the U.S. and Canada, railroad history is a huge part of the history of the area. We've been in 15 states and Canada with our Escape, and we find rail and area history entwined everywhere.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
I’ve spent most of my life sidetracked. Now they call it attention deficit. I don’t know much about Railroading that is of any value but I can tell you I squandered hard earned coins along with any other malleable metal on the Northwesten Main line about two miles south of where I grew up. I used to order trees from Portland when I was the municipal arborist in Council Bluffs Iowa. We would take a truck down into the yard to get them. The yardmaster would give us the car number and the rIp track number and we would go get them. Anymore I feel I’m on the siding most of the time, The young people won’t let me on the main line.
Iowa Dave

Ah, yes: the RIP track (repair in place). That would be me at the chiropractor yesterday.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We are fortunate to have kept BC otherwise Escapes would be made in the USA! BC only agreed to join confederation if they got a railway to connect them to the rest of Canada. And they got it thank goodness, otherwise we'd have no left coast.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #31

Returning to our original thread topic, look what just happened to roll by my house:
Attached Thumbnails
2018-07-07 09.42.34.jpg  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #32

I spent a week In Banff and spent some of the time in the hotel bookstore reading about the Canadian Railroad History and it's engineering obstacles encountered while building the line in Western Canada. It seems with all the switch backs used in traversing the mountains, they allowed a lot of grain to fall off around the rails. Bears would then eat the grain and they become inebriated as it fermented inside the animal. Many a bear did challenge the iron horse and lose the battle because of this situation.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Returning to our original thread topic, look what just happened to roll by my house:
Is that the one Dave has, named after me?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We are fortunate to have kept BC otherwise Escapes would be made in the USA! BC only agreed to join confederation if they got a railway to connect them to the rest of Canada. And they got it thank goodness, otherwise we'd have no left coast.

That, indeed, is an amazing story. We have been over Kicking Horse Pass by rail (or Highway 1-Golden to Lake Louise), and seen the incredible engineering feats there and in the Fraser River (Take Highway 1 from Chilliwack to Kamloops!!)

The Last Spike - Canadian Pacific Railway

"Stand fast, Craigellachie".
Old 07-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Gee Don I knew you grew great vegetables in CA, but wow you grow pretty big ones too
Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #36

Jim, grain on the tracks is still a problem to this day. Many hopper cars leak out the bottom. Animals graze on the tracks and are often hit. In the National Parks they do a lot to try to minimize this (wildlife crossings for example).
Old 07-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is that the one Dave has, named after me?

No, it is yet un-named. It could be from the same crop, as it's being carried on a Northwestern flat car.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Gee Don I knew you grew great vegetables in CA, but wow you grow pretty big ones too

Yeah, it's actually pretty amazing what we get out of the ground. With the drought conditions, I made a rule that any plant getting water has to give something in return. So, we have gardens and fruit trees in the back yard. And, we just ripped all grasses out of the front, and now have colorful flowers around the edges, and 6 new fruit trees, in place of grass. (So far, city planning dept. is OK w/it).
Old 07-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Yeah, it's actually pretty amazing what we get out of the ground. With the drought conditions, I made a rule that any plant getting water has to give something in return. So, we have gardens and fruit trees in the back yard. And, we just ripped all grasses out of the front, and now have colorful flowers around the edges, and 6 new fruit trees, in place of grass. (So far, city planning dept. is OK w/it).
Hi: dfandrews... If you head east for the Niagara Wine Escape you could visit us in "The Railway City" of St. Thomas On.Railway City Brewing Co., among other places. Not just a whistle stop!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: dfandrews... If you head east for the Niagara Wine Escape you could visit us in "The Railway City" of St. Thomas On.Railway City Brewing Co., among other places. Not just a whistle stop!!! Alf
Then drifting south to the falls stop at the Forty Creek distillery and visit the Alf Stacey tasting room, and once at Niagara Falls the wineries beckon. There’s not a prettier downtown than Niagara on the Lake, just up the road from the Falls. The floral clock is along the road there too.
Iowa Dave