The greatest football game ever played.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 18,140
The greatest football game ever played....

Growing up in Baltimore I often attended the Colt football games. But back then, there as no NFL nor unions, just men playing football, some playing both defense and offense in the same game. Their pay was mediocre and the coach Weeb Ewbank
told the players to use their football money and start a business. Gino Marchetti and Alan (The Horse) Ameche both started fast food restaurants in and around Baltimore. John Unitas started a restaurant, "The Golden Arm" in Towson, Md and it was not uncommon to see him eat there with his family. Bill Pellington operated a liquor store and would wait on you himself. This was before the football organizations you have today, NFL and the players now have pensions. The greatest game played will not be today, but occurred in in 1958, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_N...mpionship_Game
Enjoy This Day in Football: "The Greatest Game Ever Played" - NFL Videos
__________________

__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,375
I've seen so many clips of that 1958 championship that I feel like I saw the whole thing. I think it was a good game, but I also think a certain mythos has been built up about it over the years. I think when they call it the greatest ever, they often mean greatest in terms of boosting the popularity of the NFL, since it was the first sudden death game. I've seen plenty of games that were more exciting, so for me it was great, but not necessarily the greatest ever.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 18,140
As a 12 year old, getting to watch the Colts in person at Memorial Stadium and see them in real life (some went to my church) and then watching them on a b/w 19" tv at home, it was really exciting.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,654
Then Weeb went to the Jets, and the rest is history....
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 18,140
Don't remind me of B'way Joe..... probably the saddest day until the Colts left town Jan 1984.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong.....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,654
Agreed, when the Colts sneaked away in the dead of night for Indiana, no single issue better illustrates better the crass, phony, false allegiance pro sports has to its loyal fans.... except, of course, when the Dodgers and Giants left NYC.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Agreed, when the Colts sneaked away in the dead of night for Indiana, no single issue better illustrates better the crass, phony, false allegiance pro sports has to its loyal fans.... except, of course, when the Dodgers and Giants left NYC.
The game has certainly changed. A friend of mine is in Houston for the Super Bowl. They have seats in the upper deck - the "nosebleed" section. Cost? About $2300 per ticket. No thank you.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Growing up in Baltimore I often attended the Colt football games. But back then, there as no NFL nor unions, just men playing football, some playing both defense and offense in the same game. Their pay was mediocre and the coach Weeb Ewbank
told the players to use their football money and start a business. Gino Marchetti and Alan (The Horse) Ameche both started fast food restaurants in and around Baltimore. John Unitas started a restaurant, "The Golden Arm" in Towson, Md and it was not uncommon to see him eat there with his family. Bill Pellington operated a liquor store and would wait on you himself. This was before the football organizations you have today, NFL and the players now have pensions. The greatest game played will not be today, but occurred in in 1958, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_N...mpionship_Game
Enjoy This Day in Football: "The Greatest Game Ever Played" - NFL Videos
I would have to say that I believe February 5, 2017, redefined what is "The Greatest Game Ever Played (in the NFL)" and I am old enough to have watched both of them. As much as I liked Johnny U, I believe he has been greatly upstaged. And the Associated Press sports writers seem to have gotten it wrong once again when they selected the 3rd guy taken in the NFL draft from Boston College rather than the sixth round pick from Michigan as 2017's MVP. Then again, these same sports writers will elevate Ohio State's.....excuse me, THE Ohio State University to the top three or four when the upcoming college football season rankings are released, as they do every year, even though in recent years OSU generally hasn't fared well when they had to play someone outside of the Big Ten.
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I would have to say that I believe February 5, 2017, redefined what is "The Greatest Game Ever Played (in the NFL)" and I am old enough to have watched both of them. As much as I liked Johnny U, I believe he has been greatly upstaged. And the Associated Press sports writers seem to have gotten it wrong once again when they selected the 3rd guy taken in the NFL draft from Boston College rather than the sixth round pick from Michigan as 2017's MVP. Then again, these same sports writers will elevate Ohio State's.....excuse me, THE Ohio State University to the top three or four when the upcoming college football season rankings are released, as they do every year, even though in recent years OSU generally hasn't fared well when they had to play someone outside of the Big Ten.
We watched our first football game ever and for a first what a exciting game . Couldn't believe the announcers were calling it finished for the New England Patriots ,when the 3 rd quarter wasn't even over . What a comeback . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,375
I'm gonna say the game last night is right up there for greatest games - or at least, greatest comebacks. Entertaining.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.