The Interesting Foods Thread - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Top few percent baking takes a combination of a lot of things. I'm not a cinnamon roll or sticky bun expert but have had some good ones. However, my pick for a top muffin is a cranberry muffin from Wheat Montana bakery near Three Forks MT. While there this year we bought a bag of their buttermilk pancake mix. It is excellent too as is their bread. Also I will drive quite a few miles out of my way for Ice cream from the Delphos Creamery in Delphos Ohio. Jenny's in Columbus is good but 4 times the price and in the rear view mirror as you drive into Delphoson on the Historic Lincoln Highway.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I suggest those attending the Mississippi Rally to bring their favorite batter and then have a cook off. I know mine is from a local grist mill here in Pennsylvania Burnt Cabins Grist Mill
Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
As I type we are enjoying what we've found to be the best cinnamon bun, from Tall Grass Prairie in Winnipeg, they grind their own organic flour behind the store, make these buns with white and whole wheat flour, and have a huge tray of them sits right by the cash. They are so popular, people sitting at tables outside the bakery enjoying them, yum!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Loren
We used to make kraut in Red Wing Crocks every summer. We had a kraut cutter that was co owned by my dad and a friend. A few years after my dad passed we gave the cutter to the friend. It was old but not really an heirloom as my dad got it from someone else . As I remember it was not in perfect condition and I've seen better ones at auctions in recent years. We would hold the kraut down with a wooden disc, weighted with a 10 lb Rock brought into Iowa by the Wisconsin. I still have the crocks and the rock, we made pickles too.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... My M-i-L used the rim of her Red Wing to sharpen her knives. I steered clear at that point!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Oh, now you brought back a memory. My grandma would make the best pickles; multiple kinds. At Thanksgiving dinner, my cousin and I would try to park grandma's veggie tray between us. The pickles never made it through dinner. When my grandfather retired, they moved from the finger lakes region of NY to So.Calif. My grandma was overjoyed that she could have a garden with 3-4 crops of stuff per year. They would can all sorts of things, make pickles and other veggies that my cousin & I wouldn't otherwise want to eat.
And the spiced peaches; yum!
I'll take grandma's pickles. I am pretty sure that some of the stuff on this thread is for greasing axles!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This one is in the oven, warming, as I post.
Attached Thumbnails
Cinnamon bun.jpg  
Old 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm going to have to make a list of cinnamon roll places and visit them all. First I have to lose 50 lbs to make room for them, though.

In the meantime, I can't camp from Thurs-Mon in July or August as that's crabbing time. Yum! Just had crab pizza for lunch. Crab Louie for dinner is coming up. And if I hadn't been heading out to pull the pots at 9, could have had crab omelet for breakfast. Long about mid August I start craving a steak.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Family is spending two weeks in the Maritimes at the end of August. I'll be sitting down in the seafood restaurants and asking, "do you have any crab; no?, just lobster"? "I guess, I'll have the beef dip".
Old 07-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I'll take grandma's pickles. I am pretty sure that some of the stuff on this thread is for greasing axles!

Agreed. That "some" stuff sure does grease the insides!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #50
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We stayed at Sunset Bay State Park, Coos Bay Oregon. We stopped at a small fish market to purchase our meal. The husband worked at sea and the wife managed the shop. We wandered into Bandon and on the way back picked up our cracked crab and soup. Wonderful clam chowder, excellent crab and gorgeous views!
Attached Images

P&L is offline   Reply With Quote