There is a nip in the air.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
David, Your request is quite reasonable - however any answer I could give you today will become obsolete sometime in the future. The Park is changing how the Chisos Basin is reserved and when the reservation period starts and ends. I'll try to come up with a couple of our "larger" sites - and when you decide to visit you can check on Recreation.Gov to see their current status.

For those that are not familiar with Chisos Basin CG - it was primarily designed as a tent campground. Very few sites have parking space for an attached 5th wheel. And sites that have ample parking, a shade canopy over the picnic table, some privacy, a nice view and are level, all at the same time, amount to - well - near zero. We do have a dump station but no hookups at all. Water is available to fill your tanks.
--
Alan
Thanks Alan. We know there aren't any ideal trailer sites in Chisos Basin, but it's so nice to be there that anything we can fit in and make work suits us fine. It's so nice to be able to just walk out the door to head out for some of our favorite hikes there.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
No nip in the air yet in Austin...
Yeah, you right, David Murphy!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
It was 10c down here at 7 am this morning. Sounds like big progress up there, we'll wish you a dry day.
You were a couple degrees warmer than us, I guess part of living in the deep south. We did get some great stuff done. All my big and heavy windows and an 8' patio door, all triple glazed are in. Just 3 smaller ones to do and then on to the brick work and a few other exterior items and I can get the stucco guys in. Really looking forward to that and having my house look like a house for a change instead of a construction site.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Thanks Alan. We know there aren't any ideal trailer sites in Chisos Basin, but it's so nice to be there that anything we can fit in and make work suits us fine. It's so nice to be able to just walk out the door to head out for some of our favorite hikes there.
Just walked the CG...
Here's the list of candidates. Upper loop - 6,7,18. Middle loop - 26, 39. Lower loop - 55, 56. The upper loop is generator friendly for limited hours. Couldn't tell you which one(s) of the eight are reservable (it was dark), but even if I did it would likely change when the new system is in place. My first choice would be 55 as it is the most level of the bunch and a reasonable amount of parking space as long as 56 only has a regular vehicle.

Did I mention it's still hot? 90's this evening.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Here in NorCal no daytime temps below 80 until early October. I'll be in VA next week, and hoping that the humidity isn't too bad.
depends on where in norcal you are, I guess. here a mile north of Santa Cruz, its...
  • Tonight - Patchy fog after 8pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 57. West wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
  • Monday - Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming west southwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
  • Monday Night - Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear during the early evening, then becoming mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Calm wind.
  • Tuesday - Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming west southwest 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
  • Tuesday Night - Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Light and variable wind.

it was 85 today briefly this afternoon.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Temps still above average here so far but it is cooling off at night now. Saw 41° last week in the morning. Anchorage (and most of south central AK) is in a drought and many temperature records were blown away this summer. We still need some rain but happy for the cooler temps. We roast if the house is 70F or more at night...
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Just walked the CG...
Here's the list of candidates. Upper loop - 6,7,18. Middle loop - 26, 39. Lower loop - 55, 56. The upper loop is generator friendly for limited hours. Couldn't tell you which one(s) of the eight are reservable (it was dark), but even if I did it would likely change when the new system is in place. My first choice would be 55 as it is the most level of the bunch and a reasonable amount of parking space as long as 56 only has a regular vehicle.

Did I mention it's still hot? 90's this evening.
--
Alan
Thanks Alan!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #28

It is interesting to see what qualifies as a nip in the air for folks from different geological locations. For me it has always mostly been somewhere below freezing, possibly just above with a high humidity. But then, a daytime high of 20-24°C (72-76° US) is my warm comfort zone. I can handle more, but prefer to not be doing hard physical stuff, but more laying around with a cocktail in my hand.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... When did you change your location to Chilliwack BC?
Alf, he spends so much time at the factory buying trailers that it constitutes being his second home.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Alf, he spends so much time at the factory buying trailers that it constitutes being his second home.
Barry
I’m pretty sure he modified the tax code somewhere along the line that there’s a benefit to rolling over trailers and buying new ones. I’m not much on the code having never done my own taxes in the past 49 years I’ve been married. Before I got married, my mother did them. I have Taxaphobia.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is interesting to see what qualifies as a nip in the air for folks from different geological locations. For me it has always mostly been somewhere below freezing, possibly just above with a high humidity. But then, a daytime high of 20-24°C (72-76° US) is my warm comfort zone.
Well this morning at 5am it was 34 degrees Fahrenheit. Now it is 10am and 50. Might make it to 65 today. During my walk this morning and than coffee on the deck I noticed more color in the hills. Not a lot but it’s starting. Can’t believe that in about 8 weeks we will be heading back to Tucson. Summer went by fast. I love fall, I hope it’s a long one this year.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I think what constitutes a nip is based on what you are used to immediately proceeding said nip.

Mid 40's this am, I'd call that a nip after having 80's and up for the last month or so. Ask me in Jan and 40's will feel like a warm up.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m pretty sure he modified the tax code somewhere along the line that there’s a benefit to rolling over trailers and buying new ones. I’m not much on the code having never done my own taxes in the past 49 years I’ve been married. Before I got married, my mother did them. I have Taxaphobia.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... The Canadian tax code is so simple even I can do it!!! There's only one ? on the 2 line form.
1/ What is your total income?
2/ Please remit. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
You were a couple degrees warmer than us, I guess part of living in the deep south. We did get some great stuff done. All my big and heavy windows and an 8' patio door, all triple glazed are in. Just 3 smaller ones to do and then on to the brick work and a few other exterior items and I can get the stucco guys in. Really looking forward to that and having my house look like a house for a change instead of a construction site.
That reads like a lot was accomplished yesterday. We know how much you two have going on - such a big project. Must be looking pretty good now. It's is so much more fun when it starts really coming together. Your stucco will be on then before weather becomes an issue, we do usually get nice mild fall weather though - even up north there.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Jim Bennett... Always remember Groucho Marx acting the part of a house salesman in a new dev. in Vegas, I think. "Why you can even get stucco... boy can you get STUCCO"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
Smile This summer

We keep our thermostat set at 60ºF because our refrigerator says not to run it in lower temperatures. A lot of mornings this summer we have awoken to our heat running.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:38 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
No nip in the air yet in Austin...
There's a nip in the air down here close to the border and it's a hot one.

Lots of rain the past few days tho
Old 09-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We keep our thermostat set at 60ºF because our refrigerator says not to run it in lower temperatures. A lot of mornings this summer we have awoken to our heat running.
We have kept our trailer at 11°C a lot in the past, especially before solar to save the batteries some while boondocking, and have never had a fridge issue either in our 19 or now in our 5.0TA.

We do now keep the temps at about 13°C because we do like cool air to sleep in while under our down duvet and even a wool blanket added if real cold out.