Trailer dream.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Trailer dream....

Not that, I've got the trailer.

But sleeping in it down at my daughter's home, and I had a dream that I was across the street doing something, and someone was stealing the trailer. A gang of people. I was trying to yell and no words would come, and called 911 but couldn't talk (and was really irked when that didn't get a rescue team sent to my location!) and then I was crying really hard, because my trailer was gone, and trying to reassure myself that they couldn't possibly sell it without me finding it. I remember this dream in great detail which is unusual for me.

Probably what triggered the dream- well, two things, last time I was here my trailer was parked here and while we were out someone took a slide from my daughter's yard (right there next to the trailer). Also, I have a lock on the tongue and on the cargo rack (something I never had on the Campster) and a deadbolt on the door (also never had on the Campster) so both things likely put theft on my mind.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Those people who took your daughter's slide might have been the same ones who took our campsite at Seal Rock S.P. last May with our trailer parked there. We went out for a few hours and came back around 4 PM to find a car parked in front of our 21 and a tent set up. We hadn't yet paid for a 2nd night, so they felt they could move on in. They wouldn't leave despite the Camp Host asking them to find another spot- lots of empty ones. Another forum member was witness to this and the Ranger who came out wouldn't make them leave either! Well, better than coming back to find the trailer missing
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Those people who took your daughter's slide might have been the same ones who took our campsite at Seal Rock S.P. last May with our trailer parked there. We went out for a few hours and came back around 4 PM to find a car parked in front of our 21 and a tent set up. We hadn't yet paid for a 2nd night, so they felt they could move on in. They wouldn't leave despite the Camp Host asking them to find another spot- lots of empty ones. Another forum member was witness to this and the Ranger who came out wouldn't make them leave either! Well, better than coming back to find the trailer missing
That takes a lot of nerve! But yes, better than the trailer missing (or them rolling it out of your site so they could take over.)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

But sleeping in it down at my daughter's home, and I had a dream that I was across the street doing something, and someone was stealing the trailer. A gang of people. I was trying to yell and no words would come, and called 911 but couldn't talk (and was really irked when that didn't get a rescue team sent to my location!) and then I was crying really hard, because my trailer was gone, and trying to reassure myself that they couldn't possibly sell it without me finding it. I remember this dream in great detail which is unusual for me.

Probably what triggered the dream- well, two things, last time I was here my trailer was parked here and while we were out someone took a slide from my daughter's yard (right there next to the trailer). Also, I have a lock on the tongue and on the cargo rack (something I never had on the Campster) and a deadbolt on the door (also never had on the Campster) so both things likely put theft on my mind.
I call that a nightmare!!
Old 11-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

Hi: Bobbie54... More a night mare!!! It would be a horse of a different colour if it was gone. There is something to be said for a bigger trailer. No one could just slide it outta there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

I've been told that budget cuts here have reduced police presence.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When I leave the trailer at a camping site, I put a pretty hefty hitch lock on it. I suppose it could be sawed off, but it might take a while and they would make a fair amount of noise doing it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rossue,
I hope they at least split the cg nightly fee, if not I would not have paid for the second night and left real early the next morning. Obviously the police do not have enforcement authority in that park.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would think the problem is that the tenter doesn't know what you are thinking. If you haven't paid and they have, then it's their spot. They may have expected you to return shortly and leave. Not a light chore to pack up a tent and move.
So, why would you not pay by the required time, if you intend to stay?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

We hadn't intended to be gone as long as we did and usually pay a night at a time. Never have had this problem before and while technically our reservation expired at 1 PM the issue of paying another night is between me and the camphost. They would know a day in advance if there was a reservation and there was not. These folks just wanted our prime view spot and even had the gall to call 911 even though we had hardly any interaction with them. Guess they subscribe to the saying "possession is 9/10th the law" or some such nonsense. Ranger did not want to come out and when he did played Solomon and split the campsite in half. We left and "boondocked" in a group site at some SP nearer to Port Townsend and our ferry the next AM. Seriously- how many of you would even think of pulling a stunt like that? Had he spoken to the camp host they would have been told we were staying as saw them our way out for the short day trip.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We hadn't intended to be gone as long as we did and usually pay a night at a time. Never have had this problem before and while technically our reservation expired at 1 PM the issue of paying another night is between me and the camphost. They would know a day in advance if there was a reservation and there was not. These folks just wanted our prime view spot and even had the gall to call 911 even though we had hardly any interaction with them. Guess they subscribe to the saying "possession is 9/10th the law" or some such nonsense. Ranger did not want to come out and when he did played Solomon and split the campsite in half. We left and "boondocked" in a group site at some SP nearer to Port Townsend and our ferry the next AM. Seriously- how many of you would even think of pulling a stunt like that? Had he spoken to the camp host they would have been told we were staying as saw them our way out for the short day trip.
Hi Russue,

I now realize you are talking about Seal Rock campground in Olympia National Forest. This is not a State Park. It is right on Hood Canal and as the only salt water National Forest campground in Washington, very popular and busy. We live in Bremerton about 45 minutes away and have camped there several times. (All other salt water campgrounds are SP, National park, county or private.)

In WA, the State Parks are generally by reservation and the National forest campsite first come first serve. It can become very competitive in the busy summer months. For the National Forest campgrounds, the expectation is that you only get the campground for the days listed on your permit at your site. If staying multiple days, those need to be listed on the permit.

However that is no excuse for the extreamly rude, entitlement behavior of the folks that took over your site while you were away! Particularly when there were other sites to choose from. Most campers we have encountered are reasonable and flexible. Takes all kinds I guess.

I hope this one incident doesn't sour you on camping in Washington in the future.

Best,
Arnie
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #12

Arnie, thanks for the sentiment; wouldn't let those knuckleheads keep us away from more trips to WA- too beautiful and diverse.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #13

Seems to me that campgrounds have rules for arrival and departure to avoid situations such as described. You can follow the rules, or not, but I'm not sure why the rules shouldn't apply just because you think you are the aggrieved. Squatting on a prime site while you make up your mind isn't fair either.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Seems to me that campgrounds have rules for arrival and departure to avoid situations such as described. You can follow the rules, or not, but I'm not sure why the rules shouldn't apply just because you think you are the aggrieved. Squatting on a prime site while you make up your mind isn't fair either.
While I agree in theory with that, the squatters had no way of knowing what the site occupants were doing. They could have gone to town and had a breakdown. They could have rushed someone to the hospital. (Maybe if that had turned out to be the case they would have moved when asked.). But with open sites the idea of taking an occupied one is rude, period.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #15

Trailer: Looking for 15b
I think one of the reasons the squatters took this site as opposed to another is as the OP posted it was a 'prime view spot' As everyone knows these are always coveted by other campers. I know its extremely frustrating waiting for someone who has not paid for another night to leave especially when it is after check out time.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I think one of the reasons the squatters took this site as opposed to another is as the OP posted it was a 'prime view spot' As everyone knows these are always coveted by other campers. I know its extremely frustrating waiting for someone who has not paid for another night to leave especially when it is after check out time.
I agree, I can't count the number of times we've seen prime spots listed as available only to see folks still occupying the site. Nothing is more annoying to then see them pull out hours later, especially when you're already setup in a less than prime spot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I can see both sides.

It's tacky for someone to move in before you move out, but you left your trailer after checkout time in an unpaid site.

By extending and paying one day at a time, you preserve flexibility for yourself without considering how it affects others. If you had returned after checkout with the plan to depart would to have paid for the extra day? Many would not.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #18

It's only going to get worse with more boomers hitting the road and crowding campsites.

From BC Gov. website:
This new, all-time record for the number of reservations made for provincial campgrounds continues a growing upward trend. More than 24,000 additional reservations were made this year compared to 2014, a 19% increase. This was on top of a 13% increase from 2013.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's only going to get worse with more boomers hitting the road and crowding campsites.
Yup, and one more irritation, in addition to people not vacating a campsite when their paid for time is expired is the practice of friends arriving one day and throwing a camp chair in an adjacent, sometimes prime spot when the friend isn't even going to arrive that day.

Unfortunately some parks make the process doable because they say to put an object in the campsite to hold it if you're going back to pay for it. But often that's not the case and the site sits, illegally held for an absentee camper. Too bad the rule wasn't that a human had to stand in the site until it was paid for.

OK, end of rant.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, and one more irritation, in addition to people not vacating a campsite when their paid for time is expired is the practice of friends arriving one day and throwing a camp chair in an adjacent, sometimes prime spot when the friend isn't even going to arrive that day.

Unfortunately some parks make the process doable because they say to put an object in the campsite to hold it if you're going back to pay for it...
I think I would just toss the object aside, pull in, and wait a while to set up. If anyone actually showed up with paid paperwork within an hour, they could have the spot with my apologies... but if not - it's mine!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote