Vancouver Home Prices - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No, removing any more agricultural land for more houses isn't the way to go.
I say homes should be built on land not suitable for any type of farming, short of the homes of those that work these farms. Costs to build may be a bit higher on this type land, but that is the cost to save the good stuff for growing.

Case in point is the Greater Toronto Area, which was at one time one of the best crop producing areas in the country, just one of the reason folks started settling there in the first place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Coming soon to a neighborhood near you. The world population is growing to the tune of 200,000 (+-) people every single day. These folks are going to need to be fed and housed, and jobs and income found for them.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Oh,oh, Soylent Green all over again.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
rbryan4, you've zeroed in on some of the hot button topics here in BC.

Removal of land from the Agricultural Land Reserve is becoming an increasingly sensitive issue since, as Glenn points out, one of our main sources for fruits and vegetables (and wine!) -- California -- has gone dry and may no longer produce the amounts it traditionally has for export, at least not at a price we Canucks can afford when our dollar is at $0.80 compared to the US buck.

Our other sources for imports -- Mexico, Central America, and China -- marinate a lot of their food products in pesticides, making them an undesirable alternative. To make matters worse the BC government just approved construction of a $9 Billion hydroelectric dam on the Peace River that will flood a vast tract of productive farmland forever, despite the fact that many experts believe we can meet our future power needs without it.

As our population continues to grow, BC needs to increase agricultural production on our farmland, and in our own gardens when possible, rather than reducing the area of our farmland and relying on increasingly uncertain imports.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Vancouver Home Prices

I hear ya. Some of the very best fruits and vegetables I ever had were the ones I picked up at a local market in BC. The ability to produce such quality and be self sufficient would be sorely missed. I don't know the answer, I just grate at the idea of 1.5 mil for a decent house. I feel very blessed with my 1000 a month 15 year note!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #26

Calgary average home price is $475k. No where near what Vancouver is, but still pricey. To buy a 1,100-1,300 sq ft 1970's bungalow in original condition in my neighbourhood, that is in much need of repair and updating, will cost at least $500k, with up to $100-300k (and up) worth of work that could be done. I have done extensive work to my house over the years, and it is now 2,600 sq ft, with a huge dbl attached garage and full basement, so I can get a great price for it (though I have sunk a fair bit in too). If I want to stick in my neighbourhood, I am not likely going to be able to put as much in the bank as I would like. If I pick a less favourable area, or even move to a small town an hour or so away, I could easily save $250k.

A lot will depend on what my kids do. If they should move away, I likely would too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
At least British Columbia is beautiful. For many years I lived in Maryland, twelve miles south of Baltimore. In 1989 I bought an old, run-down house in a newer neighborhood and attempted to fix it up over the years I lived there. In about 2005 a development went in a half-mile from my house in which the houses were listed for $750,000. That is ten times what I paid for my old house.

I never understood this. Who can afford these houses? Where do they work? Baltimore? Really? I didn't get it. Pretty soon the market didn't get it, either, and when the big bust happened in 2008 developments like this were the first to feel the effects.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A lot will depend on what my kids do. If they should move away, I likely would too.
Where we retired depended on our kids being far close us. We wanted to go back to Thunder Bay but after taking a loss in 2004 when we left we couldn't afford to go back which is why we are in Emerson where four of our grandchildren live. Because it's beyond an easy commute from Winnipeg it's much less here. We bought our three bed bungalow with finished basement big rec room and two more bedrooms, a restored 1905 high ceilinged home just restored on a 60 by 140 foot corner lot for $119k two years ago and after having our biggest mortgage ever near Toronto we are now debt free.

I feel sorry for the young families that are so much in debt even to get a small home in most of our large cities. Our son in Thunder Bay bought a nice place in the country on 40 acres for $106k in 2008 and sold it in 2014 for $213k. Now his new place almost in the city cost him over 400! but he needs the big shop and land space for his construction business which helps pay the big mortgage (and high ON hydro).

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We bought our three bed bungalow with finished basement big rec room and two more bedrooms, a restored 1905 high ceilinged home just restored on a 60 by 140 foot corner lot for $119k two years ago and after having our biggest mortgage ever near Toronto we are now debt free.
I would love to get a place for that price. I doubt one even exists in Alberta, and definitely not in Calgary. If were were wanting and willing to move a good distance, and be away from the kids and grandkids, we could save $200-300k, which would be a nice top up to our retirement fund, and I would likely go for it almost right away.

Our wants for a home regardless of location are not huge. It must be in really good shape, have a massive shop space, a place to park the trailer on-site, and a kitchen to suit my wife's desires. I can always bring a place to have this, but the cost can be fairly high, even with me doing the work.

The way I look at it, is that whatever we have into the home, hopefully it will be there later too, and we could do the cash in whenever needed.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sounds like the same plot my daughter has crafted. Bonus, is it comes with built-in babysitter.
Yep, benefits for both parties:
Built in baby sitters and for us we get to miss having to move to a condo in our old age and assisted living. An immediate benefit for Liz and I is that our kids are on hand to watch over things when we hit the road in our 17.

I hear there are more and mor arrangements like ours due to high residential costs here in the Lower Mainland.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
In BC they frown on removing land from the ALR to build houses but you can remove all the top soil and sell it to city dwellers to grow lawns. Then you can fill this once prime agricultural land with gravel and build greenhouses and commercial warehouses to house and distribute the agricultural products you produced in the greenhouses .......... just never made any sense to me!

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote