Weird weather this year - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Weird weather this year

Seems like the weather, unlike what is happening elsewhere, is pretty weird this year. We have had 70 degree winters and snow in April. Now, when it is 42 degree outside, the heat is on right now, they are predicting 90 degrees weather in 3 day?? This in Pennsylvania and I know it is happening all over the country. I do not relish traveling in these temperature extremes as we all know they can cause bad storms. Safe travels everyone.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems like the weather, unlike what is happening elsewhere, is pretty weird this year. We have had 70 degree winters and snow in April. Now, when it is 42 degree outside, the heat is on right now, they are predicting 90 degrees weather in 3 day?? This in Pennsylvania and I know it is happening all over the country. I do not relish traveling in these temperature extremes as we all know they can cause bad storms. Safe travels everyone.
Hi: cpaharley2008... WELCOME to "Global Warming". Contrary to some... it is real, and a consequence of it is more severe weather events. Colder colds, hotter hots, stronger lightning strikes and more tornadoes and hurricanes!!! We shouldn't have upset "Mother" nature's balance. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Global changes

Hi Alf
Thank you for your comment on global warming. You are exactly right and anyone who cannot agree with this has a brain no larger than that of a garter snake. I listened to Dr Paul Erlich at Iowa State the morning of the first earth day 47 years ago his message then was to get environmentally responsible on a local basis to affect changes globally. A precious few took it to heart. Wish we were having brunch at Betty's and later lounging in the shade in a comfortable chair, telling lies.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Portland, Oregon yesterday afternoon. That's hail! We don't typically get hail... just a light scattering a couple of times a year. Yesterday was weird. Thunder boomers that shook my entire house and scared the bajeezes out of me. Glad I don't have any tall trees around the house and all the technology is protected.
Attached Thumbnails
Hail.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We've been getting weird weather patterns too, but for a long as I can remember though. The earth is warming, we are going to need to adapt to it.

I love driving in stormy weather, enjoying the comfort of being snug in my cozy vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Two weeks ago we had 4" of snow and 25 deg F . Last week we woke up to temps in the low 30's . Today they are predicting highs in the 80's ( Too HOT for my liking) Next week heavy rains and hail with temps in the 30's and 40's. . Winter is becoming our best season , cause spring and fall has almost disappeared.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf
Thank you for your comment on global warming. You are exactly right and anyone who cannot agree with this has a brain no larger than that of a garter snake. I listened to Dr Paul Erlich at Iowa State the morning of the first earth day 47 years ago his message then was to get environmentally responsible on a local basis to affect changes globally. A precious few took it to heart. Wish we were having brunch at Betty's and later lounging in the shade in a comfortable chair, telling lies.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... For now we only have two seasons in Ontario. Winter and Construction!!! Not to much of the former and too much of the later. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
While I believe the climate is changing, hurricane and tornado frequency is actually down. Surely man has had an impact on climate, but not in severe storms (unless experts want to claim the decrease)
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
While I believe the climate is changing, hurricane and tornado frequency is actually down. Surely man has had an impact on climate, but not in severe storms (unless experts want to claim the decrease)
The local meteorological from the University of Minnesota says the number of storms has declined but the severity of the storms has notably increased. The period of ice cover on Northern lakes has also declined by 30 to 45 days per anum . Normal ice out in my area was approx the 15th to the 20th of April now ice out is occurring in March. Where some may see that as a good thing in reality it has a negative effect on the lakes. Lakes that seldom turned green in the summer are now to where you can't swim in the lake during parts of the summer and the fish are dieing .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Weird weather indeed - sunburn last week and not much above freezing today. And Saskatoon apparently is under a tornado watch. Very weird for May!!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Chilly with snow flurries in Banff. I have no idea if this is normal for this date or not. I assume it's a personal problem.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Chilly with snow flurries in Banff. I have no idea if this is normal for this date or not. I assume it's a personal problem.
Good reason to stay inside and have another beer Mike!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 19
In Auburn Alabama I have always been able to grow greens such as collards and turnips during the winter but now I can also grow most types of lettuce all winter and the spring planting date for other garden plants has move up several weeks or more. We had a frost that damaged a lot of things this spring and naysayers were pointing out that there was no global warming. The problem was that the plants had bloomed 4 weeks early.

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Art

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We thought we would miss the snow by coming in May. However we just heard snow predicted for Cascades. Can someone help us decide the best way to get to Chilliwack? We are in Baker city Oregon. We had planned 84 to 82 up to 97 then hwy 2 to avoid Seattle. Any opinions? What roads should we avoid?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I went fishing on an ice-free Colorado River at 6000' in mid-February. That's about 6 weeks earlier than I have ever seen the river melted. And the fishing was good to boot.

Scary...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We thought we would miss the snow by coming in May. However we just heard snow predicted for Cascades. Can someone help us decide the best way to get to Chilliwack? We are in Baker city Oregon. We had planned 84 to 82 up to 97 then hwy 2 to avoid Seattle. Any opinions? What roads should we avoid?
Come up on the east side of the Cascades - through Richland/Pasco area and up through Omak - should be fine. The east side of the state is in the 70's later this week. Safe travels!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We went over Snoqualmie Pass yesterday and it was snowing! It was a couple of degrees Above freezing so the snow wasn't sticking. A couple of degrees colder and it would have been messy. Roads were fine. We came from Wenatchee and the roads there were fine, as was Blewett Pass as well.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Come up on the east side of the Cascades - through Richland/Pasco area and up through Omak - should be fine. The east side of the state is in the 70's later this week. Safe travels!
We came up the east side two years ago and really enjoyed the area around the grand coulee dam and then up through Omak and on to Osoyoos. From Osoyoos we went to Chilliwack after the rally. It was hot at grand coulee about 90F. I saw some nesting western tanagers there, it had been about 45 years since I'd seen them. Yes, they looked old, especially for having kids.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Well isn't that just peachy. We'll be in Banff in 2 days.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We came up the east side two years ago and really enjoyed the area around the grand coulee dam and then up through Omak and on to Osoyoos. From Osoyoos we went to Chilliwack after the rally. It was hot at grand coulee about 90F. I saw some nesting western tanagers there, it had been about 45 years since I'd seen them. Yes, they looked old, especially for having kids.
Dave
The park at Coulee Dam is very RV friendly and is our favorite place to stop for lunch!